Onyx is Working on an E-ink Smartphone (video)

Remember how last month E-ink showed off a smartphone prototype and promised that someone was working on the idea? I just found one.

Charbax is in China at the moment and he got his hands on the latest product from the Chinese ereader maker Onyx.  This is a straight smartphone design, not the dual sided demo unit which we saw a while back. But it is also a working unit with Wifi, 3g, and it runs Android. The prototype doesn't have a name yet, so right now Onyx is calling it the E-ink phone.

I'm not sure what size the screen is, but it looks to me like this is the 4.3" screen found on the Trekstor Pyrus Mini. But I can tell you that the screen is flexible, the touchscreen is capacitive, and the battery life is expected to be 1 month.

The smartphone shown below is the very first prototype, and this video s the first time it's been seen in public. No official release date has been set but Onyx plans to officially launch it some time next year.

1. Scott_T16 October, 2012

for icing on the cake they need a screen light ala paperwhite

2. The Commons16 October, 2012

Not exactly the most responsive screen…

3. Richard Adin17 October, 2012

I like it and because I use my cell phone to make phone calls and not watch movies or play games, would consider buying an eInk phone — but I think it is bound to fail in the marketplace unless it is very, very inexpensive to buy because it isn’t color and it is too slow for the gamers.

4. […] The Digital Reader. } Oct 18, 2012 r Friendly Staff ^ 1,805 readers – get free updates: RSS | Mail 9 Tweet […]

5. Mister Steve18 October, 2012

Motorola actually had a mobile phone with an e-ink screen six years ago, though it definitely wasn’t in the smartphone category: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Fone

1. Charbax18 October, 2012

That one was awesome, and crazy cheap, something like $25 unlocked.

6. Kate19 October, 2012

I’m willing to buy one.

7. kw8 December, 2012

How about an e-ink case/cover that would display the DateTime and power level updated each minute? I would buy that in an instance.

8. Ash3 June, 2013

where can I buy it? They should launch it in UK. If the price is around £100, I’ll buy one now.

9. MD. Mohiuddin Ahmed1 August, 2015

Is it available for order now?

1. Nate Hoffelder1 August, 2015

It was briefly available in 2013. And then it was retired. There have been no follow up models.

Weird, I know, but it’s the truth.