Random Penguin Merger Passes Scrutiny in Europe

Random Penguin Merger Passes Scrutiny in Europe Publishing The European Commission announced today  that they were approving the merger between Random House and Penguin.

According to their statement, there was little concern that the larger company would dominate the market because “the merged entity will continue to face several strong competitors”. This approval follows the approval of the transaction by the ACCC in Australia, the NZCC in New Zealand, and the U.S. Department of Justice. To the best of my knowledge the only remaining regulatory body to approve the merger is Canada.

When the merger finally goes through the German media conglomerate Bertelsmann will trade their ownership of RH for will own 53% of Random Penguin Solutions, with Pearson owning the remaining 47%. Bertelsmann will have 5 directors on the Random Penguin Solutions board of directors and Pearson will have 4.


About Nate Hoffelder (10075 Articles)
Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader:"I've been into reading ebooks since forever, but I only got my first ereader in July 2007. Everything quickly spiraled out of control from there. Before I started this blog in January 2010 I covered ebooks, ebook readers, and digital publishing for about 2 years as a part of MobileRead Forums. It's a great community, and being a member is a joy. But I thought I could make something out of how I covered the news for MobileRead, so I started this blog."

1 Comment on Random Penguin Merger Passes Scrutiny in Europe

  1. Don’t forget that within a year or two Bertlesmann has to spinoff Random Penguin or buy out Pearson.
    This isn’t a traditional co-op venture; it’s Person’s bug-out strategy.
    Smart, very smart.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: