How to Download Your Kindle Notes and Highlights and Export Them

How to Download Your Kindle Notes and Highlights and Export Them calibre Kindle Tips and Tricks Amazon has a great reading platform in the Kindle, but sometimes it's not enough.

Sometimes I need to take the notes I make in a Kindle ebook and use them elsewhere. Amazon doesn't make it easy for us to do that, but luckily there are other ways.

Earlier this week I needed to export my Kindle notes, so I did some digging and rounded up a few tools which would help me do just that. The tools range from the simple (copy+paste from a web browser) to the inaccessible (an iPhone app and a Mac-only script).

Edit: Actually, let's start with the one option so simple and obvious that I completely overlooked it.

Look in the documents folder of your E-ink Kindle and you'll see a file named myclippings.txt. This is a text file of all of the notes and highlights made on your Kindle (but not on the other Kindles or Kindle apps on your account). You can copy this folder to your PC and open it.

Boom. You can now copy and past your notes into other documents, emails, etc.

Let's start with the simplest. Did you know that Amazon has a special section on its website where you can view your ebook library (and more importantly, look at the notes and highlights you've made on the Kindle)?

Kindle.Amazon.com

The above link takes you to that section, and after you log in you'll see your reading habits as well as the reading history of other Kindle owners.

If you look along the top of the page, you'll see that one of the menu options is labeled "Your Highlights". Click it.

This page will show you each ebook to which you've added a note or highlight. (It won't show bookmarks, darnit.) Click on one of the titles on the page to see the notes and highlights for a specific book.

You'll see a page like the following. Find and click the "Your Notes and Highlights" button to bring up the annotations you made:

Once you open that page you can copy and paste a highlight or note. it works just like with any other webpage, and it is a quick and easy way to grab a single note.

But if you want to get more than one note at a time, here are a few tools you can try.

Let's start with my favorite.

Bookcision

This nifty little bookmarklet is simple and works great with Chrome. After you install it, you use it be opening one an ebook's highlights page on Kindle.amazon.com and then clicking the bookmarklet button.

I like Bookcision because it works well with Chrome. With other web browsers, you can save the notes to the clipboard, but with Chrome I also get multiple download options (text, XML, JSON). The latter two options include a link to the note's location in the ebook.

But it's not for everyone, so here are a couple other options.

iPad-, Android-Only

The Kindle apps for iOS and Android have a feature which is not shared by the Fire tablets.

In the notebook menu, you will find an option to share your annotations by email.Here's what it looks like on the iPad:

The notebook menu can be accessed from inside a book, but the way you find it differs between Android and iOS.

On iOS, click the “sheet of paper” icon in the upper right corner. The export button is in the upper right corner of the notebook menu. The exported notes don't look very good, but this trick does let you pull the notes out of even a side-loaded ebook.

On Android, click the "3 dots" icon in the upper right corner, and then select the Notebook option from the dropdown menu. You can either create flashcards or export the notes to Drive, by email, or by Android Beam.

Notescraper

This is an Apple Script based tool which basically does the same thing as Bookcision. It copies the notes from a book's highlights page on Kindle.amazon.com and creates local file on your Mac.

There are a couple versions of the Notescraper tool, including one which works with Evernote. But since I don't have a Mac, I can't comment on how well it works.

Speaking of Evernote, its webclipping can be used to import your notes and highlights.

Evernote WebClipper

This tool can be used to copy part of a page or an entire webpage into your Evernote account, and I'm told it works well to copy notes from a book's highlights page on Kindle.amazon.com.

But you might want to manually select the book notes though and copy and paste.  There's one report that the page has an infinite scroll built-in that messes up one user's Evernote clipper.

And while we're on the topic, Microsoft's OneNote has a similar clipping tool. It takes screenshots so it's not nearly as useful, but if you already use that platform then it's worth a look.

Snippefy (iOS)

If you're an iPhone user, you might want to check out this app. According to the website, it is supposed to let you "read and share all of your notes and highlights in one place".

Unfortunately, I am unable to install the Snippefy app and confirm that it works. It won't show up when I searched for it in the iTunes app store on my iPad. But since the iTunes listing appears to be active, I am including this app just in case you find it useful.

Clippings.io

How to Download Your Kindle Notes and Highlights and Export Them calibre Kindle Tips and Tricks Here's another service I'm not sure I can recommend.

Clippings.io is supposed to offer an easy to use online service for managing your Kindle notes and highlights, but I haven't found a good reason to continue using it.

While I was setting it up, I noticed that this "free" service works with a Chrome plugin which costs $2 (you can also find the myclippings.txt file and upload it). That turned me off, and since it basically duplicates activities I already perform on my PC, I plan to close the tab and forget about it.

Calibre

And last but not least, calibre. This ebook library tool can not only send ebooks to your Kindle, it can also fetch the annotations from a Kindle - only there's a catch.

How to Download Your Kindle Notes and Highlights and Export Them calibre Kindle Tips and Tricks This only works when you have your Kindle plugged into your PC over USB.  And it apparently doesn't work for newer Kindles.

I found this trick while researching this post, and I also found a bug report which says that this feature doesn't work with newer Kindles. I can't get it to work with my Paperwhites, for example.

But since it might work for you, I'm including it here. Head on over to JetShred for instructions and more details.

Conclusion

All in all, there are a lot of tools out there that either don't work, aren't terribly useful, or are intended to work in only specific circumstances.

But I found at least one tool that I like, so I'm good.

Did you find one you could use? Did I miss one?

The comments are open.

image by Terry Madeley

1. William D. O'Neil21 February, 2015

“Look in the documents folder of your E-ink Kindle and you’ll see a file named myclippings.txt. This is a text file of all of the notes and highlights made on your Kindle (but not on the other Kindles or Kindle apps on your account). You can copy this folder to your PC and open it.”

Nice try, but not quite. Works on Keyboard but not Paperwhite or Voyage, where there’s a myclippings.sdr folder that’s shown as empty.

1. Nate Hoffelder21 February, 2015

I had my KPW (2013) sitting next to me when I wrote that. It had the myclippings.txt file.

It was actually “my clippings.txt”, but the file is present.

1. William D. O'Neil21 February, 2015

Not on mine. Nor my Voyage.

2. Rob Siders23 February, 2015

I see the file on both my KPW and Voyage. It’s strange that you’re not, William.

2. AltheGreatandPowerful22 February, 2015

You take notes? Why?

I use my tablet and kindle for reading, and the tablet for web/maps/apps too, but when I’m doing research I take notes on scratch paper or I do all the work on a real computer. When I’m reading I am doing it TO READ, not for research. When I’m researching I’m either handwriting notes on paper/index card to juggle concepts or I’m cutting and pasting to do the same thing. Neither works for me in my reader or tablet, not at all as handy as on a computer. I don’t mark up books either, because I grew up reading library books where writing in the text or the margins was vandalism.

So what do you make notes for? Why mark up/make notes in a reader?

1. Nate Hoffelder22 February, 2015

Honestly? I mainly just use it to read. When I want to take notes or copy text, I open the ebook in an app on my laptop, and take notes in another app.

As you say, the keyboard is much easier to work with than a touchscreen. But sometimes I do take notes in the ebook – when I’m proofreading an ebook, for example.

3. carmen webster buxton22 February, 2015

I love being able to highlight text, especially for a book I plan to review, but also just to make note of things when I read. It’s very easy to copy and paste from the highlights area you mention, just using a web broswer. That works great, so long as the book is one I got from Amazon. If I get a book from another source, like Smashwords or Project Gutenberg, and sideload it to my Kindle, or if I send one of my own manuscrpts to my Kindle, then the software treats those items as “Personal Documents” and any highlighting or notes I make are NOT included in the highlights area on the web. It is annoying as hell!

I know I could use the myclippings file, but that is more work! I can see why they don’t offer the same feature for randown Word documents, but a properly formatted ebook with the correct metadata should be treated as a book, and not a personal document.

Do you know if Amazon has any plans to change this, Nate?

1. Nate Hoffelder22 February, 2015

I don’t know, sorry. I would have thought that the annotations would be accessible through Kindle.Amazon.com, but they’re not.

2. Nathan28 November, 2016

Hi Carmen,
      I created a python script to format the My Clippings.txt file – it organizes all your notes/highlights into a seperate text document for each book, and formats the quote/note so it looks more presentable than how it is in My Clippings.txt.

You can find it here:

When you download it, just place Kindle Clippings Parser V1.py into the same directory as your My Clippings.txt. Then open your terminal app (in Mac, hold Command and hit the spacebar, then type “terminal” and select the Terminal application that comes up). type “python ./”, hit space, and then drag and drop Kindle Clippings Parser V1.py into the terminal, and hit enter.

That should run the program, and you should see one file of highlights/notes created per book.

Let me know if that doesn’t help.

1. Cristina Acosta10 May, 2017

Hi Nathan, that sounds pretty cool! However, the link is not there anymore, could you please post it again?
        Can that script also get bookmarks per book? If not, do you have a script that does that? I’d be super grateful!

4. Felipe Adan Lerma22 February, 2015

Invaluable! Thanks Nate, am saving this for reference.

5. Mike22 February, 2015

I rather think the simplest option is the one in the attached image. There’s nothing quite so easy, flexible and kinaesthetically satisfying as scribbling down half formed thoughts or keywords, then doodling a few connecting lines between linked concepts, perhaps adding an explanatory diagram or sketching a small image to serve as an aide memoir.

I don’t make notes digitally. I read source text digitally and while I’m doing it, my hand is moving with a mind of its own across a primitive sheet of cellulose, making notes a very human way that no technology has yet managed to improve upon.

Perhaps I’m a heretic, posting such a thing on this, of all forums! So when you stone me, make sure you’re using the scrunched up refuse from my waste paper bin! (I recycle it, of course!)

6. William D. O'Neil22 February, 2015

The highlighting function is invaluable for any serious research use of Kindle books, and a major reason why I like Kindle. (A major pain is the Kindle books that don’t have real page numbers). I often finish a book with hundreds of highlights. Better than a print book with hundreds of tape flags, not to say cheaper.

Notes not so much, at least for me. Your suggestions are very helpful.

7. AltheGreatandPowerful23 February, 2015

Are there enough research sources in your field that are in Kindle format? I work in contract archaeology, where reports and sources are gradually being scanned into pdf, but there’s nothing much useful in Kindle format.

8. […] How to Download Your Kindle Notes and Highlights and Export Them (Ink, Bits and Pixels) […]

9. Yup19 March, 2015

today I published my new developed tool for viewing and finding of kindle notes.
    The app is available at http://www.yups-blog.de for free.

1. Nate Hoffelder19 March, 2015

Thanks!

10. Arabella1 September, 2015

Awesome Nate – thanks for a huge time-saver. Arabella

11. OtisW7 October, 2015

thank you so much for this post, I thought I lost notes from I’m reading for a course……omg….awesome

12. sam7 November, 2015

I can’t believe you dissed Clippings.io?? Their chrome extension saves so much time, and well worth the price if you are importing your notes on a daily basis.

13. […] So you have your bibliography manager. Did you know that in most cases you can open up a book’s page online and press a button to include it like the snap of a finger into your bibliography? No fuss, no muss. It’s a great feature offered by Flow. Then you can export your list to a word document and use each listing, as I mentioned above, as a header for your notes. Your reading might be slowed by taking notes while you read, but I found it helped reinforce the information. If you are more comfortable with flagging the page, or dog-earing the corner and highlighting, that is cool too. You might be using a kindle, and you can make notes right on the kindle and export those out. […]

14. Nate Hoffelder15 November, 2015

@ Sam

It costs money, and there are free alternatives.

15. Glenn Dixon11 January, 2016

Bookcision! That was just what I needed! Thanks for this post…

16. Jane24 January, 2016

They all seem restricted to kindle.amazon.com – won’t work for kindle.amazon.com.au which we are obliged to use in Australia. Any suggestions?

1. Nate Hoffelder24 January, 2016

I refer to the main Kindle site in this post but I can’t tell you whether the tools will work elsewhere.

Have you tried the tools?

I would think Evernote would work, and Bookcision doesn’t show any code that mentions Kindle.Amazon.com.

17. Chris Bedford7 February, 2016

All of no use if you didn’t buy the book through amazon, apparently.

I (proof)read writings of unpublished / amateur authors on a cooperation website but sitting at a computer to do that is not much fun. I want to read on a book-like device and the kindle app is perfect for that. So I annotate on the kindle itself, because 99% of my notes are just highlighting of the text itself, I don’t need to write out my corrections at that point.

So the standard procedure is to download the PDF or EPUB version of the document (or highlight/copy/paste from the website into Word), then upload to kindle via http://sendepubtokindle.com, a free service that works amazingly well.

Sadly there doesn’t seem to be a way to get the annotations made for documents like this. So, great to make the notes without having to chop down the Amazonian rain forest, but it looks like I still have to transcribe my notes by “10-finger interface” after I’ve finished reading. Such a waste of time and effort – the bits are already in electronic format, but now they have to go through an analogue meat connection to get back into electronic format again.

1. Nate Hoffelder7 February, 2016

You’re right. I just tried a book I loaded via send-to-kindle, and I couldn’t get at the notes.

While we’re on the topic, what device are you using to proofread? If you’re using a Kindle, you should be able to get the highlights from the “myclippings.txt” file on the Kindle itself.

18. Chris Bedford7 February, 2016

I don’t have an actual Kindle – I’m using the app on an iPad. I haven’t tried accessing the files on it, but I seem to remember the last time I did look at the iPad as a USB drive all I could see was the DCIM folder containing my photo roll.

1. Nate Hoffelder7 February, 2016

Hey Chris,

Thanks for making me go look for a solution; I found one.

The Kindle iOS app has a special notebook menu for your annotations, and that menu has an export option where you can email the notebook to yourself.

The notebook menu can be accessed from inside a book; click the “sheet of paper” icon in the upper right corner.

The export button is in the upper right corner of the notebook menu.

1. Yu-Kuan15 February, 2016

Hi Nate,

I looked all over but could not find the export option you’re talking about. I clicked on the “sheet of paper” icon, but I believe it’s not in the upper right corner, but in the bottom right, just above the reading progress bar on iPhone Kindle apps, correct? Once I click on this “sheet of paper” icon, I see all my previous highlights with options to star, delete, and jump to location. But I see no option for exporting. Where did you find this option to export by email?

Yu-Kuan

1. Nate Hoffelder15 February, 2016

Hi Yu-Kuan,

I think we may have identified a difference between the Kindle iPad and iPhone apps. As you can see in the following screenshot, the Kindle iPad app has an option to export notes as either email or flashcards.

19. Chris Bedford7 February, 2016

Maaaaaannn, I feel so stoopid. I looked at that button (export, which I have always thought of as “send to”) more than once today while looking at how to create the notes… and overlooked it every time.

Thanks Nate. Sometimes it just takes a fresh(er) pair of eyes. Or maybe a less angily frustrated pair.

1. Nate Hoffelder7 February, 2016

That’s the curse of universal design elements. If you see something in all the apps then you forget to check if you can use it.

20. Jane20 February, 2016

It seems that even on the iPad Kindle 4.17 this is only available for SOME books, mostly textbooks.

21. Jane20 February, 2016

Bookcision writes “I’m sorry to say that Bookcision can’t be used by folks outside of the US. This is an Amazon limitation, and not one that I have imposed.”

22. Luxen5 March, 2016

I make all my highlights and notes on my kindle fire hdx and then I open my converted book (by kindle) on my iPhone kindle app and I am able to export all notes/highlights from personal documents without issue. It is also very organized: by location and note piece/highlights—Tittle and APA, Chicago, or MLA format. This is a great feature for those of us that had notes trapped on the kindle fire, and it works on all my personal documents (even ones converted by Calibre) —

1. Nate Hoffelder5 March, 2016

Great! I’m glad it worked for you!

2. Luxen5 April, 2016

I would like to report that the export highlights feature is now accessible in android. I downloaded the kindle app for android this morning and was surprised to see a ‘Export Notebook options ‘ on the top right corner. This works for personal docs and side-loaded books.

1. Nate Hoffelder5 April, 2016

Great! Thanks for letting us know!

23. S. J. Pajonas4 April, 2016

I have a friend who beta reads for me. She reads the book on her iPhone Kindle app, making notes along the way, and when the time comes, she screenshots each of her notes and puts them into Evernote, sharing the note with me. It works.

24. […] is the way you can export your notes in the form of an email. This was the easiest way to download/export your Kindle notes and highlights, hands down, and now the feature has come to the Kindle app for Android (but not the Fire […]

25. tim h9 April, 2016

My paperwhite, up to day as of april 2016, has a My Clippings.txt folder that has everything in it. The My Clippings folder is empty, but the text file is full.

26. Holger E.10 April, 2016

kindle.amazon.com and Bookcision seem to work fine even for non-US users. I am buying everything from Germany at amazon.de, but can find all my kindle books and my highlights using kindle.amazon.com. Great post, very helpful, thanks!

27. An ecosystem for reading ebooks – The e-ink reader saga Part 5 | Rope and Tire26 May, 2016

[…] I want to be able to download these notes/highlights off the cloud (how to do it?) […]

28. […] and Calibre. See Nate Hoffelder’s useful comparison of the existing annotation-export options here. Nate points out that the Kindle apps for iOS and Android already offer the option to export your […]

29. Roger Wolkoff13 July, 2016

Um… freaking brilliant! Saved me a s–t ton of copy paste. Also like that it capture my notes. And yes, some of us take notes on the Kindle. If I see something and I don’t want to lose the idea, I make an electronic note then and there. Not all of us carry around pen and paper.

30. […] makes it easy for Kindle users to download their notes and highlights, but we can't say the same for Kobo, which obscures a user's notes in a […]

31. Tess11 August, 2016

Hi!
    I have some ebooks that are not showing up on my kindle account because I did not buy them through amazon. How do I get the notes from those books and other pdf files (from university readings) into a word document or a pdf file.

Thanks.

1. Nate Hoffelder11 August, 2016

That depends. What did you read on – a Kindle, Fire tablet, app, etc?

There are special tricks for each option. The apps, for example, will let you share your notes from a book as an email.

32. […] appear to be a number of ways to export the highlights from your kindle. I chose what appeared the simplest – to email them to myself. (With the book open in the […]

33. Suzanne4 October, 2016

I’m finding it depends what format the non-Kindle ebook comes in as (I get review copies of business books and like to take notes). I have one that has come in as a PDF and I cannot see the notes in kindle.amazon.com or on iOs. The other has come in as a DOC and I can on ioS!

34. Catloverr5 October, 2016

I would like to report that the export to highlights feature is now accessible to the kindle fire hdx without rooting. The latest update 4.5.5.2 I believe has made this possible. I have tested it myself.

PDF won’t work on kindle unless you use adobe reader to view and make highlights and export the saved document to your PC. PDF.. EPUB.. They are all completely different formats not handled by Anazon.

35. HarveyCN10 October, 2016

I’d like to recommend a neat and free tool Kindle Mate for Windows to import and export your clippings(highlights and notes) and vocabulary words as well, as an offline alternative. http://www.kmate.me
    I am the developer and welcome any input. Pease feel free to let me know if you have any feedback or issues.

1. Nate Hoffelder10 October, 2016

Cool! Thanks for the heads up!

36. HarveyCN10 October, 2016

Thanks Nate! It really helps. There also is a full list of Kindle clippings tool at http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Tools_Index#Clippings for your reference, besides of Kindle Mate.
    Looking forward to your further assessment update. Have a nice day! 🙂

37. BDR10 October, 2016

FWIW, the Calibre clipping fetch feature is working again in 2.63 for my PW3 — it was broken for me in earlier versions — but Kindle Mate is a much better solution.

38. Pavel21 October, 2016

Thank you! Very useful.

1. Nate Hoffelder21 October, 2016

Welcome!

39. Andre20 November, 2016

Hi!

Do you know if the simplest way (copy text from myclipping.txt to any place you want) works with books not purchased in Amazon?

I mean, if I have a epub book, convert it in mobi, highlighted it, and so on… This notes will be recorded in myclipping.txt?

Thanks in advance!

1. Nate Hoffelder20 November, 2016

Yes, they will be recorded in that file.

But you would be better off uploading the ebook to your Kindle account first. That way the annotations would sync across all your devices.

40. Nathan Zorndorf28 November, 2016

My notes/highlights are located on my kindle as “My Clippings.txt”. I found My Clippings.txt by plugging my kindle into my computer via USB. The Formatting of “My Clippings.txt” is pretty bad, so I made a python script that seperates notes by book, and formats everything a bit more nicely.

You can find it here:

41. Gary12 December, 2016

Amazon has a nice web page to view all your notes and highlights. I believe this to be a very nice unadvertised feature.

42. C20 March, 2017

It seems like some of the other “turbulence” similar to this issue relates to porting Notes in Personal (non-Amazon) documents; and it seems that that is totally NOT supported by Amazon. I can imagine the reason being that they want people to buy Amazon -based or -marketed books. However, do you think it might be possible to induce them to perhaps develop an app that cost more than the normal, but yet would allow book enthusiasts to port &/or author their notes (or even push/pull/share them, like a book club!) wherever they want? I would be willing to pay $100 for such an app, if it lasted with support forever.. (Maybe I’m dreaming and should just go rights more fiction!)
    ..Thanks much for all your research!

43. Sonia20 April, 2017

Thanks so much for this. I have been reading books on my Kindle for years and did not know that Amazon had a special place for viewing my highlights and notes. I have a Chromebook so the Bookcision works perfectly. Thanks again!

44. […] several Kindle ebooks, so I gathered together a dozen tools and decided to post a new version of my two-year-old post on Kindle annotation […]

45. JULIANO19 July, 2017

hi! have you ever sent books (pdf files) to kindle by email? So I did it!
    I like to read it at the e-ink kindle. I have made a lot of notes on it. But for my surprise these files that we send by e-mail to e-reader kindle isnt showing up at other apps kindle or even at the amazon website.
    Do you have any idea how to solve this issue?

1. Nate Hoffelder19 July, 2017

The ebooks should show up in the other apps; you just have to download them from inside the apps.

And they do show up on the Amazon website – they’re just listed under docs (for personal documents).

1. Juliano19 July, 2017

I dont know what you mean by “download them from the app”. I send them by email to my kindle account. In my e-readed e-ink its showing up and I can read and manke notes, but theyare not showing up in any other device, since amazon or kindle PC. Even when I send it with “convert” in the subject email.

1. Nate Hoffelder19 July, 2017

Let me see if I can show you where they are hiding.

In the Kindle Android app, open the 3-line menu. Scroll down and select the option for “Docs”.

That’s where your files should be listed.

46. Aaron21 November, 2017

Anyone here knows how to track books you got on your kindle through other means, ie not through amazon store. Asking for a friend.

47. […] on your own “notebook” page today when researching a question I had for this article. (Here’s the 2015 article I found mentioning it.) I couldn’t find Deb’s book in my “notebook,” so I played around with […]

48. Bhavin24 March, 2018

Thank you for sharing this information.

49. […] PS: I thought I’d share a tip about downloading the quote you highlighted while reading on a kindle. See here. […]

50. Ivan Smirnov15 July, 2018

Pfff. Just use Adnroid/iOS Kindle app. There has export highlights in few taps.

51. Arun Swamy12 September, 2018

The simplest way is to go to the Kindle Cloud Reader (https://read.amazon.com) on any browser, log in to find your books and on the top left there is an icon that looks like a page which is your Notes and highlights. Click on it and there they are. Or you can go directly to that by entering https://read.mazon.com/notebook. (It may ask you to enter a verification code sent to your email.)

52. Stanimal16 September, 2018

Thank you! Didn’t realize all highlights were in the txt file on the kindle. This made my life so much easier!

1. Nate Hoffelder16 September, 2018

Welcome!

53. […] the sentences that you have highlighted and export them (here’s how to do this on a Kindle). This works for ebooks and paper […]