Barnes & Noble’s digital textbook app of last resort got an update this week which may have fixed some of problems plaguing the platform since it launched last spring.
According to the changelog, Wednesday’s Yuzu update added a number of basic features like cross-device syncing, editable notes, logging out of your account, and the addition of a TOC and a search function which can be accessed inside a textbook. B&N has also changed the organizational schema for the app, repainting the terms and classes setup with a simple library. And they’ve finally finished the help section; it can now explain all of the features and gestures.
All in all, it sounds like B&N has finally finished the app and released the v1.0 edition of the app. And to think, it only took B&N 15 months …
… to get the iPad app working (there is no iPhone or Android app).
The app is available for free in iTunes. There’s also a web app as well as an app for Windows 8.1, but there’s no word on the promised Windows 10 or OSX apps.
New Features and Enhancements
* Improved page turning performance.
* Changes to your notes, highlights, and bookmarks are now automatically saved and synced to all your devices.
* Courses and Terms view has been removed. You can access all of your content from the Library.
* Added Help for features and gestures.
* Improved History navigation that lists all recently visited pages.
* The Search and Table of Contents options are available within the book.
* The improved Notes view allows you to edit your notes and highlights.
* A What’s New dialog to view the latest changes.
* Notification when a rented book you’re viewing will expire within 24 hours.
* Option to deauthorize, which deletes all the content from your device and removes the device from your Yuzu account.
* Text Settings now allows you to override the default landscape view from two-page to one-page.
* Book Information now shows how much space the book uses on your device.
* Undo after deleting a note.
* 64-bit and iOS 8 SDK compliance.
* Pages using Roman numerals are shown within a Bookmark.
* You’ll be informed when you’ve exceeded this book’s download limit set by the publisher.