Amazon Publishing Expands Into India

Amazon Publishing Expands Into India Amazon Publishing Amazon's publishing divisions have set up shop in the US, UK, Germany, and France. Now that list includes India.

Deal Street Asia and The Hindu report that Amazon was buying Indian publisher Westland:

Online marketplace Amazon has agreed to acquire the remaining 74% stake in Westland, the publishing unit of the Tata group retail company Trent Ltd, indicating its interest in expanding its presence in India books market.

The terms of the deal were not immediately disclosed.

In February, Amazon bought a 26% stake in Westland for about Rs 9.5 crore. Trent had said at the time that Amazon had the option to acquire the remaining 74% stake later.

Following the investment made by NV Investment Holding, Inc., Amazon will get right to name one member to the Westland board.

Westland's own site is down for maintenance, but according to the profile on the site of its corporate parent, Westland is a fiction, non-fiction, and literary publisher.

It is also described as being one of the largest book distributors in India. Westland distributes books for Penguin Random House, Macmillan, Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins, Canongate, Perseus, Hachette, and Pan Macmillan.

It is not clear whether Westland's distribution arm was included in the sale, or just its publishing divisions.

While the terms of the sale have not been released, that 24% stake cost Amazon about 95 million rupees, or $1.4 million USD, in February.

image by TheCreativePenn

About Nate Hoffelder (10071 Articles)
Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader:"I've been into reading ebooks since forever, but I only got my first ereader in July 2007. Everything quickly spiraled out of control from there. Before I started this blog in January 2010 I covered ebooks, ebook readers, and digital publishing for about 2 years as a part of MobileRead Forums. It's a great community, and being a member is a joy. But I thought I could make something out of how I covered the news for MobileRead, so I started this blog."

1 Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. Top 10 de Noticias: Octubre | Anatomia de la edicion

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: