You Tell Me: What Device Are You Reading on Right Now?

You Tell Me: What Device Are You Reading on Right Now? Open Topic

Inspired by the exceptional response to last Sunday's discussion about what we're reading, today I would like to ask you about what you are reading on.

Every so often I like to ask what devices - print or digital - people are reading. So, readers - what are you reading on right now? Magazine, hardback, or paperback? Kindle, smartphone, or tablet?

I'll go first.

Right now I should be reading on the Kobo Forma so I can finish a review.  I do like the device (a lot), but last week there was a sale in the Kindle Store on Robert Charles Wilson books. There were a bunch of titles that I hadn't read in years (it was so long ago - 2011 - that they were actually only available in paper) and I couldn't pass up the chance to  buy them and read them again on my Fire tablet.

So what are you reading on?

1. Thelonius21 October, 2018

I read „Thomas Melle, the world at your back“ on my Sony DPT-rp1 and I love it! The device and the book.

2. Michael Anderson21 October, 2018

For me the split is magazines vs. books. All of it is digital … for some reason I am getting both print and digital versions of Electronic Musician, fortunately I can give the print ones to my son when he visits from college 🙂

I read magazines using the ZINIO app on my iPad (Pro 10.5 until whatever they announce next week arrives!).

Books? Still on the 3rd gen Kindle Paperwhite … love it but really have not found a need (or justification, which is hilarious based on my other gadget consumption) to buy the new one or anything else.

3. Mike Hall21 October, 2018

Well right now an ASUS Zen Pad 10 tablet as this is what I use to surf the web when I’m sitting in my armchair going through my Feedly updates. The SF book I’m currently reading is on my 7th generation Paperwhite but I’m about to switch to my generation 2 Oasis as I need to strip a few hundred MB off the Paperwhite to give enough free memory to apply the latest software update. Given that I keep buying books the switch may be permanent even though I love the Paperwhite.

4. aus21 October, 2018

Currently reading on a FIre 7 with some of the Amazon apps disabled. I use Yalp store to install reading related apps from the Play store – FBReader, Calibre Companion and Safari Queue.

All books are loaded via Calibre Companion with the library on Box and read on FBReader. Rather than use Instapaper or Pocket, I use ‘Push to Kindle’ which delivers web pages directly to the Fire; again FBReader is used for reading.

5. Tanya Weiman21 October, 2018

Google Nexus 5X!

6. Fabrizio Venerandi21 October, 2018

Onyx Boox M96

7. Chuck Dee21 October, 2018

2 Galaxy S2 Nook Editions

8. The Rodent21 October, 2018

Most (novel) reading: EPUBs using Bookari on a little Schok tablet. Also started using Lithium occasionally on an older small Moto phone.

9. Karen21 October, 2018

Android phone — Samsung Edge7. I have a Kindle Paperwhite that I use for most of my ebooks, but also recently started using the Kobo app for Android and PC.

10. Patrick Cassidy21 October, 2018

I mostly read books on a Kobo Mini and/or a Kobo Aura HD, but magazines and such on a Samsung Galaxy S2 8″ tablet. The tablet occasionally doubles as an ereader using Pocketbook’s app, and the same goes for my phone. I think Pocketbook is the best ereading app for Android. I prefer Eink for serious reading, but I ‘ll read the same book spread across all 4 devices depending upon convenience. I’ll most likely have a Kobo Forma, soon…

The Mini gets the heaviest usage, probably; as it goes EVERYWHERE with me. I wish they’d make a new one the same size with a 300PPI screen!

11. Harmon21 October, 2018

iPad Pro 10.5. It’s what I use for non-book reading – blogs, magazine articles, etc. Right now, I am using Feedly to go through today’s items, which I either read immediately (as with your blog) or send off to Instapaper or Pocket to read this evening.

(But this response to you is from my iMac, where I can use a physical keyboard more easily.)

12. Penelope21 October, 2018

Kobo Aura ONE for books.

I have a Kindle Oasis 2, but only pick it up to read free Kindle books. Even after a fall that has left me with a sprained right arm and sprained left thumb, I find the Aura ONE easier to manage.

What I’m reading your blog with is an iPad Pro 10.5.

13. djazz21 October, 2018

I am reading on a Kobo Aura One 🙂

14. Steven Spatz21 October, 2018

I’m reading on my ancient iPad Air – my constant travel companion since 2014!

Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks down here in Philly for our conference.

15. Susan21 October, 2018

Kobo Aura One and IPad Pro 10.5 (Kindle, Nook, iBooks, Google books) but my Aura One gets the most usage.

16. Bill Smith21 October, 2018

I read mostly on my Chromebook and when I am away from home, on my cheapo Android phone (can’t even remember what make and model it is — Walmart $30 special).

I use the Amazon Web Reader on the Chromebook, as well as read in browser on Google Play Books. I download a lot of ebooks from Kobo, Smashwords and the various bundle sites and read in Readium Chrome app.

On my Android phone, I sideloaded the “Kindle Lite” app (because the regular Kindle app just devours memory in my limited spec phone) — I am quite please with the Kindle Lite app experience. I use FB Reader for my sideloaded ebooks.

When I boot into my Linux desktop (which is not very much at all these days), I use the Amazon Web Reader in Firefox browser and FB Reader for epubs or just use PDFs.

17. Anthony21 October, 2018

My usual Internet browsing (including Feedly/social media) is split between my aging Moto G smartphone (when away from home) and my laptop/Chromebook (at home).

For reading comics (especially during last week’s cross-country trip), I use my 2017 Fire HD8 tablet. Comics themselves are split between Hoopla, Marvel Unlimited, and Comixology (all much cheaper vs paying $4 apiece for single issues at a physical comic shop).

18. John B21 October, 2018

iPad Pro 12.9” for comics and PDFs, Kindle Paperwhite for books. I find the Kindle too small and not much of a step up from my phone, so I am eyeing the Forma. The lack of syncing sideloaded books may be a dealbreaker. I also sometimes read from a Lenovo Tab 4 8” which is a good size and can read PDFs well with an app that crops white space margins but I generally find using a third mobile device in addition to my big iPad and phone instead of a dedicated ereader to be a bit annoying. That said reading-wise I prefer the FBReader and Google Play Books experience on my phone over the Kindle iOS app, almost to the extent that I’m willing to give up on the Kindle. (I buy all my books from Google but convert them so I can use any app I choose.)

19. LS21 October, 2018

I pretty much only read on my iPad Air now, usually with the night setting on in the apps. It’s easier on the eyes, and because of the larger screen I don’t have to turn the pages constantly to keep up with my reading speed.

20. Steve H.21 October, 2018

For serious reading I use a Kindle Oasis with 32 gigs to hold a very large library, all on device. Holding my breath for a larger Kindle. For things like Smartnews and other apps I use a Samsung S2.

21. John Wilker21 October, 2018

Kindle Paperwhite. Ordered the new one, first new kindle ina few years.

22. James21 October, 2018

I read books on an original 6″ Kobo Aura. I really like its compact size while still having a 6″ screen.

For comics, I use a Surface Pro 5. The big screen makes comics look wonderful, though it is a bit heavier than my old 10″ Lenovo Tab2 Plus.

23. Thomas Porcello21 October, 2018

Ipad Air 2 for the two column landscape mode. Play Books, Nook app, Libby and Hoopla app.

24. DaveMich21 October, 2018

Non-book reading is a macbook.

Book reading is primarily my Kindle Voyage. Away from home it’s my phone.

The results so far are interesting, for books it’s an almost even split between kindle and non-kindle e-ink, with plenty of Kobo use. Ipads and other tablets outpace kindle tablets. (I have a Kindle Fire that I could used to read on, but the Voyage has superseded it.) Nobody listed a phone as their primary ereader.

After some time has passed I would like to see an open thread asking about ebook sources, ie, what ebook ecosystems do readers typically use? Kindle/Kobo/Apple/Google, or a mishmash?

1. Steve H.22 October, 2018

Agree on e-book sources.

25. Geese121 October, 2018

Kindle Oasis 2 mostly, but also reading fansubbed manga on my PC, and some licensed manga series through Comixology on my 10.5″ iPad Pro.

26. george zunic21 October, 2018

am reading a hardcover novel in english, a novel in portugues on a kindle paperwhite and smartphone and news on a 10″ amazon fire tablet.

27. Sean21 October, 2018

I read ebooks on my Kobo Aura One.

I listen to Audible books on my iPhone 8+. (I’ve not tried Kobo’s audio books yet)

Sean

28. Jacob22 October, 2018

Kindle Oasis 2. I have away my Kobo Aura One a few days ago as it wasn’t getting any use any more. So, so tempted to buy the Forma but worried it won’t have the premium feel of the Oasis. Would love to try one in store but I don’t think that will be an option for a long time…

29. Tim22 October, 2018

When I read digital books, I am using a Kindle 3G (with keyboard) that I may or may not upgrade to a Paperwhite soon. I read blogs and websites on the monitor on my desk, generally.

30. Panoramix22 October, 2018

Right now a Kobo Aura One, while waiting for the Onyx Nova and Poke Pro to become available.