New Kobo eReader Clears the FCC, Has Bluetooth

Amazon may have put Kindle development on hold for the duration, but Kobo has not.

A new Kobo ereader just showed up on the FCC website this morning. All of the photos have been embargoed, but I was able to confirm the brand, model number, and a few specs.

The Kobo N604 was tested for both Bluetooth and Wifi, but I have not been able to find any mention of peripherals (I was kinda hoping for a stylus).

Edit: Someone pointed out to me where the 32GB storage is mentioned, so we can add that to the spec list.

I know that the usual unreliable source is claiming there’s 32GB of storage and that this is the Forma 2, but given their reputation I am not going to put any weight in what they say. (Remember, they said on at least 5 different occasions that Amazon would launch a new Kindle Voyage.) (Honestly, you could take the inverse of their position, and you’d have a much better chance of being right.)

I will note that the presence of BT suggests this is a premium model, so it could well be  a replacement for the Forma.

I’m looking forward to seeing it!

FCC

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills weekly. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. Tom S8 February, 2021

What do you suppose the Bluetooth is for? Audiobooks?

2. Steve H.8 February, 2021

If it is an improved Forma, same size or bigger, I will probably buy it.

3. […] New Kobo eReader Clears the FCC, Has Bluetooth A new Kobo eReader with 32GB of storage, WiFi, and Bluetooth is on the way… and that’s about all we know so far, since it hasn’t officially been announced yet. Those are just details gleaned from a recent FCC listing. […]

4. Kamen11 February, 2021

Even a stopped clock tells the correct time at least twice a day. So, whatever our usual unreliable source is saying, I do believe the Forma is the reader in Kobo’s line-up that seems to be begging for a replacement/upgrade.

So I would expect a large screen size. But then again, Kobo might take it in a completely different direction. Let’s wait and see.

5. DJ12 February, 2021

Nice or Nia+

6. […] was just over at MobileRead, sharing the good news about Kobo’s new ereader, when I found out about the Pocketbook […]

7. Piel27 March, 2021

please bring back expandable microSD card storage.