Wedding Thank You Cards: 30 Messages + 7 Tips
After a wedding, it is customary to thank your guests for their presence and gifts with wedding thank you cards. In this article, you will learn how you can best design them and what wording to use on your cards.
A wedding is an unforgettable experience. Your guests contribute to this by supporting you in the preparations, sending you congratulations and gifts, and experiencing the unique day with you. You should thank them for this with a card.
Tips for Wedding Thank You Cards
After a wedding, there are many reasons to say thank you: for the congratulations and gifts, for the support in preparing and hosting the celebration – or simply for the fact that your loved ones spent the important day with you and spread good vibes.
With a wedding thank you card, you can show your appreciation to your guests and send them a reminder of your unforgettable day. The following tips will help you make this thank you note as personal and descriptive as possible.
Choose the Right Timing
First, you should consider when is the appropriate time to send thank you cards after the wedding. There is still a lot of organizing to do after the wedding, and you may already be leaving for your honeymoon after the ceremony.
Your guests will understand if the thank you notes for the wedding do not arrive directly after the celebration. In fact, they may be even more pleased to see that you’ve remembered them after a few weeks have passed.
However, you should not wait too long with the thank you cards. This could cause some guests to wonder about them and assume that their attentions are not appreciated or have even been lost.
Crafting an Appealing Card
Just like the save-the-date cards and wedding invitation cards, thank you cards should be appealing and ideally designed in the style of the wedding party. There are several design and type options available to you.
Which method you choose depends on how much time and money you want to invest and how customized the thank you cards should be.
Buy Standardized Wedding Thank You Cards
You can buy or order pre-made thank you cards. These cards are usually relatively inexpensive, but quite impersonal.
With this method, you save on designing the card, but you have to handwrite the text you want to add as a thank you note on each card. The biggest drawback is that you can’t include individual photos of you on the wedding day or from the wedding reception.
Craft Thank You Cards for Your Wedding
A much more personal option is to craft the thank you cards yourself. You can let your creativity run wild. In addition to fancy embellishments, you can use decorative handlettering or calligraphy for an especially appealing card.
You can also tailor the text to the recipient, thanking them for a particular gift or for special support at the celebration. Just make sure you keep in mind the number of guests and thus the number of thank you cards to be sent.
For a small-scale celebration, you may want to make the effort, but for more than 100 cards, crafting will probably take too much time. Because of the materials needed, it’s also possible that the cost of the cards could exceed your budget.
Order Wedding Thank You Cards Online
The easiest and least expensive thing to do is to design and order wedding thank you cards online. A wedding celebration involves a lot of organization and there are many costs involved. So it is legitimate not to spend too many resources when creating the thank you cards.
This option still gives you enough freedom to individually customize the thank you notes and make them completely according to your preferences. You can choose from different templates and themes like vintage or wood look, materials like craft paper or smooth photo paper, and postcard or folded card layouts.
In addition, you can choose the colors, patterns, fonts and text. You can either insert the same thank you message for all cards, or you can leave the text field blank to later write an individual text for certain people.
Another advantage is that you can simply insert one or more wedding photos into the template without printing them out separately beforehand. With little cost and effort, the thank you card is a thoughtful gesture and beautiful reminder for your guests.
To see if you are happy with your personalized thank you card, you can have a sample card sent to your home for free before placing the entire order. Additionally, the price per card ordered decreases as the quantity increases.
Insert a Wedding Photo
Besides the specific thank you note, wedding photos are the most important part of the thank you card. You probably had a professional photo shoot right before your wedding ceremony.
In addition to the photos you take anyway, you can even take photos specifically for the thank you cards. For this you can, for example, hold a sign with the inscription "Thank you" or draw the words in the sand or with chalk on a background. Then you’ll have a wide selection of different photos to choose from when creating the cards or creating a collage.
Content of the Thank You Card: Photos and Note
The central contents of the thank you card for the wedding are a wedding photo and an appreciative text in the form of a saying.
In addition, you may include the date of the wedding celebration, insert appropriate quotes and in certain cases, create personalized messages; for example for the witnesses who have particularly supported you at the celebration.
Additional photos, while much appreciated, can be an additional cost to the thank you card.
Either you choose the same photos for all guests, showing special and beautiful moments of the celebration, or you take individual photos for each guest, which depict him or her at the celebration. This way, your guests will be taken back to the day of the wedding for a short time and have a lasting memory of your special day.
An alternative is to create a website with your photos. You can protect this with a password. Sometimes photographers offer this option, and you can include the link in your thank you card.
What to Write in Wedding Thank You Cards
Once you have decided on the outer design of the thank you cards, you should think about the content of the thank you note. It’s up to you whether you want to keep it short or elaborate on it.
In addition, you can decide whether you lean toward traditional or fancy sayings and whether you want to insert a quote or prefer to formulate everything independently. The following examples of sayings and quotes will give you ideas and inspiration for your wedding thank you note.
Classic Wording for the Wedding Thank You Card
If you don’t want to experiment with the text of your thank you note and instead play it safe, you can choose a traditional saying of gratitude for the support, congratulations and gifts.
The following sayings (from authors unknown) may be a good fit:
- "Thank you for being at our wedding! You have made this day unforgettable for us. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support, the many surprises, the numerous congratulations and gifts."
- "Thank you for adding to the joyful spirit of our wedding with your presence and lovely gift."
- "Your presence at our wedding has added so much love to our special day. Your gift has brought us joy and will help us build our life together."
Personalized Messages for Thank You Cards
If you want to emphasize your gratitude, you can make the text of your thank you note a little more personal and emotional and less formal. You can show your sincere appreciation with these phrases.
The following phrases are from unknown authors:
- "Where would we be without our family, our friends, our colleagues and neighbors?
Without you, this day would not have been what it was: simply gorgeous!
It was our pleasure to celebrate our special day with our loved ones! We were overwhelmed by the lovely congratulations and gifts and we thank you so much!"
- "So many beautiful people, so much love, so many unique moments. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for making our wedding an unforgettable day! You guys are the best!"
- "Our wedding was a unique experience for us and we were able to enjoy every moment to the fullest. We would like to thank you very much for your participation, the numerous gifts, the lovely congratulations and the great surprises. You made this day unforgettable for us."
- "We laughed and cried together, danced and celebrated and spent a unique day that we will remember forever. For this we would like to thank you very much!"
- "Dear family, friends and everyone who celebrated with us, it was wonderful! For the numerous congratulations, heartfelt gifts and unique surprises for our wedding, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You made our wedding an unforgettable event."
- "We want to say thank you! Without such dear family, good friends, warm relatives, great work colleagues and dear neighbors — without YOU, we could never have had such a beautiful wedding. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your help and support, the many ideas and surprises, the numerous congratulations and gifts. Our celebration was unique!"
Funny Sayings for Wedding Thank You Notes
If you are a couple with a sense of humor and your guests are also fun, it is a good idea to thank them differently with the help of a funny saying.
Ideally, you will then choose a funny wedding photo to go with it to round off the thank you card.
The following quips are from unknown authors.
- "We laughed together, we cried together, and most importantly, we danced until dawn! Hopefully you were all able to find your dancing shoes afterward! We spent a wonderful day together with you that we will remember forever. Thank you for that!"
- "Our wild wedding is over – it’s official now!
The road to this point was exciting. But then the time had come – we celebrated our wedding together with you! It was beautiful. Thank you so much!"
- "Without YOU our fun wedding wouldn’t have been possible! Thank you so much for accompanying and supporting us on our way into the bond of life and making our wedding day an unforgettable experience!"
Short Sayings for Wedding Thank You Cards
If your thank you card doesn’t have much space or you just prefer it short and sweet, maybe the following phrases will help you write your thank you note.
You can also use the sayings to especially thank the people who traveled a long way to be able to attend your wedding.
The following messages are from unknown authors.
- "Thank you for your incredible generosity! Your gift will help us make our dream honeymoon a reality. We’ll be sure to share some photos with you when we get back!"
- "It meant the world to us that you traveled to see us on our wedding day! Knowing you were there as we shared our vows truly meant everything to us."
- "Thank you so much! We had an unforgettable day and thank you for all the congratulations, gifts and attention."
- "We had a unique day, but most of all we realized that we have unique families and friends! Thank you for everything!"
Quotes for Wedding Thank You Notes
Instead of worrying about the right words yourself, you can turn to sayings from well-known personalities. You can choose quotes to introduce your thank you card and combine them with another saying. The following quotes are suitable for a wedding thank you note:
- "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."
(Lao Tzu, Chinese philosopher, 365 B.C.-290 B.C.)
- "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction."
(Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, French writer and pilot, 1900-1944)
- "Life is the flower for which love is the honey."
(Victor Hugo, French author, 1802-1885)
- "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."
(Aristotle, Greek philosopher, 384-322 B.C.)
- "True love is eternal, infinite, and always like itself. It is equal and pure, without violent demonstrations: it is seen with white hairs and is always young in the heart."
(Honoré de Balzac, French novelist, 1799-1850)
- "The love we give away is the only love we keep."
(Elbert Hubbard, American writer, 1856-1915)
- "I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people."
(Vincent van Gogh, Dutch painter and graphic artist, 1853-1890)
- "Love is space and time measured by the heart."
(Marcel Proust, French author, 1871-1922)
- "Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing."
(Torquato Tasso, Italian poet, 1544-1595)
- "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
(Emily Brontë, English novelist, 1818-1848)
Thank You Messages for People Who Couldn’t Attend but Sent a Gift
Sometimes guests may not be able to attend the wedding due to time constraints or illness. If they still sent you a gift, you can show your gratitude with a thank you card.
The following messages are from unknown authors.
- "Thank you for sending us such a special gift! We so appreciate you sending us love from afar. We hope to see you soon and thank you again in person!"
- "Thank you for the beautiful gift! It’s too bad you could not be at our wedding. I hope we will meet again soon for a belated toast."
- "We wanted to thank you for the lovely gift. While you were unable to celebrate with us, we hope to see you again soon to be able to thank you personally."
- "We were so touched by your generous gift! Thank you for thinking of us on our wedding day. We are so grateful for your friendship!"