In addition to specific improvements that help Feedly, Tumblr, Pinboard, and Fever, Mr Reader also gained new support for a trio of outside services.
Mr Reader now supports the InoReader, SubReader, and ToWatchList. The first 2 are news readers that I have mentioned on this blog; they’re not bad but they’re not my preferred service. But the third name, ToWatchList, was a surprise.
That is a save-for-later service that lets you build a playlist of videos that you found on Vimeo, Youtube, and the like. It’s like Pocket, only more focused, and it is essentially a bookmarking service for videos. I think it is a great addition for Mr Reader; it saves me having to leave this app just to watch a video I bookmarked.
I tried out Mr Reader a few weeks back and if I used my iPad more this would definitely be my preferred news reader app. It supports a number of news readers, including BazQux, Feedly, Fever, FeedBin, FeedHQ, and Feed Wrangler.
This app costs $4, which is a rather steep price considering that many of its competition are free, but I think it’s worth it. And so do most of its users; it has a 5 star rating in iTunes.
Changelog:[NEW FEATURES] • InoReader and SubReader as additional RSS sync services added
• The Google Reader login with editable API endpoint can be enabled by a URL scheme. Please contact me in case you are developing a service with a Google Reader compatible API and want to test it against Mr. Reader.
• Added the video (YouTube and Vimeo) collecting service ToWatchList [IMPROVEMENTS] • Theme management extended: There is a new settings group to enable/disable and to reorder themes.
• Fever: Auth cookie name is editable. Necessary when you have problems marking articles as read.
• Pinboard: New option to send without showing the dialog first
• Tumblr: New option to post in Markdown
• Feedly: Using a new API method to rename tags
• Articles table sorting improved. Especially when sort by ‘Oldest First’ is used. [FIXES] • Overall error handling improved
• Possible crash fixed while adding new sync service accounts
• The Fever server URL is editable again 🙁
• Feedly: Added a workaround for subscriptions without a title (usually created by ReadKit)