NewsBlur is one of those apps that did quite well before Google Reader shut down last year and it has thrived since then. This news reader app is back in the news again today with the launch of a major new release.
NewsBlur v4.0 features a new dashboard in the iPad app, new gestures, including one for the iPad, new preview options, and an improved landscape mode for reading on the iPad .
Readers can also share links to stories on FB, Twitter, email, or save the stories to services like Pocket, Readability, Instapaper, and more. And with improved video support, videos are now fit better for each device.
This blogger is content with using Mr Reader paired with BazQux for his mobile news reading news, otherwise he'd be all over NewsBlur.
According to the changelog, the update includes:
- New dashboard for the iPad app: All Site Stories are now on the dashboard for easy access to stories. More to come with this new dashboard.
- Tons of new gestures: double tap, 2 finger double tap, long press.
- New gestures for the iPad app: swipe to dismiss the original story view.
- Brand new sharing controls work with Facebook, Twitter, Email, iMessage, Instapaper, Pocket, Readability, App.Net, Pinboard, OmniFocus, Safari, Chrome, and Airdrop.
- Inline images show a preview of the story in the story title.
- Inline descriptions show a preview of the story’s content in the story title.
- Improved landscape support for the iPad app.
- Improved video support: videos are now fit better for each device.
- Numerous bugs fixed resulting in speed improvements and cleaned up code.
You can find the app in iTunes.