What Kind of a Kindle Do You Think Amazon Will Release This Year?

What Kind of a Kindle Do You Think Amazon Will Release This Year? e-Reading Hardware Kindle

If Amazon stays true to form, they will release at least one new Kindle in 2019. It will have a screen and Wifi, and will be black. That is about all we can say about it with any certainty (and I may be going out on a limb when predicting the color), and that leaves a lot of room for speculation.

So tell me, what do you think the new Kindle will be like?

My guess is that Amazon will launch either a new basic Kindle or a new premium model (or both). It's been three years since the last basic Kindle shipped, so it could be time for Amazon's cheapest ereader to be refreshed. And speaking of product cycles, two years have passed since the second Kindle Oasis was released, and five years since the Kindle Voyage were launched, while last year we got a new Paperwhite. One could say it's time for a new premium model as well.

What do you think it will be like? Will it be larger than the 7" Kindle Oasis? Could it have a folding screen? Do you suppose Amazon will finally add a color-changing frontlight?

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills weekly. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. Harmon23 January, 2019

I think a 9 inch Paperwhite would make sense.

My reasoning is that a 9 inch kindle would appeal to current 6 inch owners as a second kindle. Small kindle for pocket, purse or bedtime. Large one for the easy chair.

I have both Oasis versions (& love them) but would add a 9 inch PW in a flash.

1. Javi24 January, 2019

10.3″… hopefully.

2. Martha22 February, 2019

Yes,I have both Kindle Oasis,would love a larger screen,but I would still want the page turn buttons

2. Simon Konecnik23 January, 2019

I think it would be a time to get a large-screen Kindle reader, but unfortunately I’m afraid that in 2019 we will get the latest version of the “low budget” Kindle touch 6.If it will be available in black and white version we will need to be satisfied :/

3. Disgusting Dude23 January, 2019

Front lit Kindle Basic.

1. Nate Hoffelder23 January, 2019

That would be a sensible update – easy to do and an obvious improvement.

2. tired24 January, 2019

I think so too. And they will probably bump the resolution to 212 ppi to compete with the Kobo Aura Edition 2.

3. Tom S24 January, 2019

No just update screen to Carta. The best thing about basic is there’s no front light layer to refract and diffuse text. Higher pixel density would be a bonus. Put in 8GB.

Don’t care about comfort light. In dark conditions I prefer my OLED screen phone.

4. Steve H.23 January, 2019

Amazon will finally go big…probably the last manufacturer, not bothering to count Barnes and Noble, to do so. They are aware that there is a real desire for a larger unit but are overly pushing sku unit volume-why we got a new Paperwhite. I have emailed Jeff Bezos and the Kindle Team requesting something larger of Oasis quality. My thoughts…if you want something…ask directly.
    The A team will probably also update the basic Kindle slightly.

5. Beverly Klotzkin24 January, 2019

I’d like to see a ComfortLight-like adaptation (from the Kobo) to a premium Kindle–an upgrade to the Kindle Voyage. I love the Kindle Voyage and I’d like to see it improved upon.

A front-lit Kindle Basic would also be a good idea, though that might be too close to the Paperwhite. Then again, they don’t have to give it water resistant capabilities.

1. Disgusting Dude24 January, 2019

Lower resolution, less memory.
      Enough to justify a $30 gap right there, and the front light enough excuse to justify a $10-20 boost in list price.

2. Steve H.24 January, 2019

Probably going to get Comfort lighting…almost every other company has this feature on at least one model.

1. Nate Hoffelder24 January, 2019

The premium model, sure, but not the basic Kindle

1. Steve H.24 January, 2019

Agreed

6. DaveMich24 January, 2019

Whatever doesn’t have audible will get audible.

7. BB24 January, 2019

I’m hoping for a waterproof Paperwhite in White.

8. James Seger24 January, 2019

Kindle basic with 212 ppi, Carta screen and front light is my guess. Those pretty much match the specs of the Aura Edition 2, but aren’t high-end enough to bite into Paperwhite sales.

9. Kitaboo25 January, 2019

Amazon’s Kindle Paperwhite is on sale for its lowest price ever