Good night: 40 quotes for your loved ones + 5 tips
Good night quotes show a person that you are thinking about them. The closer they are to you, the more unusual the goodnight greetings can be. From serious to funny and cheeky to sweet and romantic, this article has it all.
Good night quotes are usually sent by SMS, on WhatsApp or social media. With a nice quote in the evening to wish a good night, you make your loved ones happy and show them that they mean something to you.
Good night: 40 quotes, messages and poems
In this chapter you will surely find a suitable saying or quote for your loved ones.
We have funny quotes – if you want to put a smile on your best friend’s face just before bedtime, but also friendly and romantic sayings.
You will also find serious quotes in this list, which should make you think again in the evening. For international acquaintances and lovers there are even a few English sayings to say good night and for the poet in you a few poems.
Funny good night quotes for WhatsApp and co.
Funny good night quotes are great for good acquaintances or friends you can size up. They are not suitable for every one of your contacts. It’s important that you have about the same humor.
In addition, they are also not particularly suitable to give away in a setting. Before going to sleep, most would probably rather listen to something soothing instead of laughing. Nevertheless, via WhatsApp, SMS, Facebook and so on, it is a successful change from the everyday "Good night, see you tomorrow".
- Breathing and sleeping – you’re particularly good at those things, so good night!
- Always remember to fall asleep with a dream and wake up with a purpose. Good night.
- Good night. Give thanks to your many blessings and watch your worries fly away.
- Don’t waste your time thinking about the past or plans for the future. Rather, use it to swat the mosquito in your room. It will definitely help you sleep better, good night.
- As the night gets dark, let your worries fade. Sleep peacefully knowing you’ve done all you can do for today. Good night.
- Welcome to "Sweet Dreams" Airlines. We’re setting down for landing in dreamland. Please tuck in your blanket, fluff up your pillow, close your eyes and prepare to fall asleep. Good night!
- You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you can still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting. Good night.
"Good night, love": quotes for lovers
Most people in love wish each day a good morning and a good night. So why not add some variety with a lovely quote?
Your partner will surely be happy if instead of the usual short phrase "Good night, I love you" he gets a longer variant. For this, conventional love sayings or love letters are also suitable, which you supplement with a few sentences of your own and a "good night".
Especially in a long-distance relationship, it’s important to make your partner feel good. You miss each other and it is all the more difficult to fall asleep when your partner is physically so far away. Thoughts circle around the future of the relationship and you think about when you will see each other next.
You can relieve your partner of their worries, at least for the moment, by letting them know you’re thinking about them with a sweet saying and are confident about your love. Below we have a few examples for you, ranging from rhymed and cheesy to unrhymed and simple.
- I wish I was your blanket, I wish I was your bed,
I wish I was you pillow underneath your head.
I want to be around you, I want to hold you tight,
and be the luckiest person who kisses you. Good night.
- Good night! Sleep well until tomorrow and forget all your worries. I think of you and dream of you, because then you are very close to me! I love you.
- A star travels through time and space, in its tail a beautiful dream. This dream is from me to you, he should tell you I love you.
- Tonight you will not be alone. Lay your head on your pillow, it’s filled with a thousand kisses. Snuggle up and I will be with you.
- And tonight, I will fall asleep with you in my heart. Good night.
- This message has the following attachments, the sweetest kiss and coziest hug, the cutest cuddle and warmest snuggle. Good night.
- Good night my dearest love and have pleasant dreams. Here’s to the hope that tomorrow will be as sunny and bright as you are.
- Tonight I want the moon and the stars to take care of you while you are dreaming so you can sleep peacefully and happily. I love you.
- I find it hard not to fall asleep next to you. But the feeling that I will see you again in a dream reassures me. I wish you a wonderful night and look forward to hearing from you tomorrow when I wake up.
- My love for you is as endless as the sky, as wide as the stars, as thick as the dark of night and as clear as the moonlight. Always remember that and sleep well my darling.
Good night quotes for him and for her
Normal friendship quotes are also suitable as positive good night quotes, which you add your own little text wishing a good night.
Your boyfriend or girlfriend will certainly be happy if you say again just before bedtime how much you like him or her.
The comforting feeling that someone is thinking about you and likes you definitely helps you fall asleep. The positive thoughts make the worries go away.
- The moon in the sky shines for you, he says to you do not forget me! He brings a message and whispers to you: in this world there are only a few like you!
- Sleeping is really hard for me. I really miss your kind words. You have me under your spell, and that’s true, I’m not lying.
- Before you fall asleep every day, say something positive to yourself. Good night and sleep tight.
- The day is over, it’s time for rest. Sleep well my dear you gave it your best. Tomorrow comes, oh so soon, close your eyes and awake before noon.
- Friends are like stars, you can’t always see them, but you know they are always there for you.
Look up at the sky before you sleep and you know I’ll always think of you before I go to bed. Good night.
Special good night quotes to think about
Night and sleep have also been dealt with by many famous personalities, poets and thinkers. Also, dreaming has always been an interesting process for humans.
For this reason, numerous quotations have also been created. They have been carried forward in the course of time, because they carry so some truths. These truths are not always pleasant and often make you think.
Nevertheless, you can send them to good acquaintances or friends if you want to give them something to take with them on their way. Keep in mind that the person might not feel offended and, if in doubt, supplement the quote with a sentence or two of your own.
- Go to sleep in peace. God is awake.
- There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.
- I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?
- Sleep is that golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.
- A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.
- Throw off your worries when you throw off your clothes at night.
- Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
(Edgar Allan Poe)
- I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.
(Vincent van Gogh)
- In a real dark night of the soul, it is always three o’clock in the morning, day after day.
(F. Scott Fitzgerald)
- Night, the beloved. Night, when words fade and things come alive. When the destructive analysis of day is done, and all that is truly important becomes whole and sound again. When man reassembles his fragmentary self and grows with the calm of a tree.
(Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
- Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.
- I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
- Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day.
- Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep.
- Early to bed, early to rise; makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
Good Night Poems
Poems about sleeping and the night can also be sent or framed with a cell phone instead of goodnight quotes. If you decide to go with the cell phone variety, don’t forget to add some appropriate smileys.
Make sure the person would be happy to receive a poem, too. If it’s too awkwardly written, you can also simplify it or rewrite it to better suit you.
If you want to be extra creative, you can also read the poem aloud in a voicemail and send it. That way, the person you choose can listen to it over and over again in the evening before they go to sleep.
If you choose this option, make sure you use the right intonation. Speak calmly and clearly. After all, your poem should make you tired and calm down, rather than requiring concentration and a high volume.
Day is over, night has come.
Today is gone, what’s done is done.
Embrace your dreams, through the night.
Tomorrow comes with a whole new light.
I love the silent hour of night,
for blissful dreams may then arise,
Revealing to my charmed sight
– What may not bless my waking eyes.
Good night! Good night!
Far flies the light;
But still God’s love
Shall flame above,
Making all bright.
Good night! Good night!
Tips for your good night quotes
Below, we’ll tell you when, how and to whom you can send goodnight sayings. You’ll also learn how to write the nightly greetings yourself, along with an example.
Send goodnight quotes at the right time
You can generally send a good night saying always in the evening. However, make sure that it is not too late. After all, you want your text to be read before you go to sleep.
Messages at two o’clock in the morning – at least during the week – are only read by very few people. You can also write a little good night story instead of a good night saying.
Are there any special occasions for which you can send such a saying? No. In general, you can use the loving thought to a person as an occasion alone. So there is no particular day you have to choose.
However, evenings before something exciting or stressful happens are especially suitable. You would certainly also be happy if your friend thought of you before an exam and tried to calm you down with a good night saying.
Goodnight sayings the night before a birthday or a wedding are also a nice gesture. Did you have a great day with a person? End it with one of our sweet goodnight sayings.
Choose the right way to say good night
There are a few ways you can wish someone a good night. First, you can easily send a short text on messengers like WhatsApp or social media platforms like Facebook or Instagram.
It is always nice if you use smileys or GIFs. It makes it seem a lot friendlier and your message is more descriptive to read.
Another way to send your goodnight wishes is to write the text on a picture. Choose a suitable background for this. Of course, all night and sleep motifs are suitable (for example, a sleeping bear, a moon, a starry sky or a forest at night).
To whom you can send goodnight quotes
You should never unsuspectingly send out goodnight sayings or greetings to all your contacts. Maybe it’s your boss or a person you don’t really have anything to do with anymore.
You would probably also be surprised if you suddenly received a goodnight message from your old driving school instructor, and in that case you would probably be aware that it is a broadcast message.
Newsletters are impersonal and, even if they are meant to be nice, they don’t have much personal value. So goodnight messages are suitable for friends, family and good acquaintances. Even work colleagues are not usually wished a good night, unless you are good friends.
Many people are uncomfortable with such direct intrusion into their private lives. The more personal the contact, the more individual the saying should be. If you want to make your partner, your mother or your best friend happy, show that you know them well. But more about this in the following chapters.
Good night quotes to give away
Good night sayings are usually sent out instead of given as gifts. However, there is a great way to make someone happy with a gift saying – especially children who sometimes still have trouble falling asleep.
To do this, you can either choose a saying from our numerous examples or you can think of one yourself. You can then either write this saying down, print it out or sew it onto a piece of fabric.
You can frame it and decorate it however you like. It can be hung near the bed. This way the child can read your good night saying before falling asleep.
Such a gift is suitable for communion or birthday. Even for baptism, when the child can not yet read, it is a nice gift for the future nursery or parents.
The saying has the same symbolism as a dream catcher. Your little protégé will be guarded and freed from bad dreams by this loving gesture.
The good night saying can also be read aloud or sung as a kind of ritual every night before bedtime. A suitable gift to complement this would be a cuddly toy, a music box or a mobilé to help the child fall asleep.
Write good night sayings yourself
If you want to send especially individual good night wishes, you can also write a saying yourself. For this, it is important to think about what fits well with the person you want to write to. What calms them down? Include it.
Maybe she has a favorite animal or you know she likes magic. Think about what she likes to do or eat. If you can think of a few things, your line can be longer.
Here’s the little magic fairy.
She’s sending some sheep over to you.
That you can fall asleep well,
I hope I’m there in your dream.
Is the person open to poems or at least rhymes? Rhymes can help you write a saying yourself. When brainstorming, just think of a few rhymes that come to mind on the topic of sleep and night and try to put them into a meaningful context.
You can work your way through them step by step. Ideally, you will find several rhymes for one word, then you will have more choices. Popular and simple rhyme schemes are: AABB, ABAB, ABBA.
Rhymes: sleep, deep, long, song.
Quiet night, you’re probably already asleep. (A)
I hope we meet in the night sky so deep. (A)
But you shouldn’t dream too long, (B)
the birds will wake you with their song. (B)