Happy birthday: 80 birthday wishes, quotes & poems for every age
Happy birthday wishes come in all different kinds. To find the right saying is sometimes not so easy. In order to find a great birthday greeting that also fits the birthday boy or girl, we have created several categories with numerous examples for you.
Birthday sayings you should always choose according to what effect you want to achieve. Is the birthday boy or girl funny and likes cheeky birthday sayings or would quotes and wisdom be a better choice?
Happy birthday wishes of all kinds
We have categorized birthday sayings of all kinds for you.
You will find beautiful, individual, funny and short sayings for men and women as well as sayings for children and apt quotes with pictures for your birthday. So it will be easier for you to find a suitable saying for sure.
Beautiful birthday wishes
In this category you will definitely find a suitable saying. Beautiful birthday wishes are often heartfelt and are suitable for contacts of all kinds.
Whether family, friends or acquaintances, young or old: they always sound friendly and benevolent, there is no danger of misunderstanding. Beautiful words bring joy to everyone and definitely belong in a birthday card.
- Wishing you a very happy birthday and a year filled with love, adventure and prosperity. Here’s to you!
- The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything.
- This birthday, I wish you abundant happiness and love. May all your dreams turn into reality and may lady luck visit your home today. Happy birthday to one of the sweetest people I’ve ever known. (Unknown)
- Sending you smiles for every moment of your special day…Have a wonderful time and a very happy birthday!
- Wishing you a day filled with happiness and a year filled with joy. Happy birthday!
- Forget the past; look forward to the future, for the best things are yet to come.
- Here’s wishing you a birthday
That’s happy through and through
For you’re so nice, that’s just the kind
That you’re entitled to!
- Be happy! Today is the day you were brought into this world to be a blessing and inspiration to the people around you! You are a wonderful person! May you be given more birthdays to fulfill all of your dreams!
- Your birthday is the first day of another 365-day journey. Be the shining thread in the beautiful tapestry of the world to make this year the best ever. Enjoy the ride.
- Count not the candles…see the lights they give. Count not the years, but the life you live. Wishing you a wonderful time ahead. Happy birthday.
Birthday wishes for her
The following happy birthday wishes are geared towards women. They are suitable for all your female contacts and will bring a smile to the celebrant’s face. Just pick the saying that suits her best.
- Sending your way a bouquet of happiness…To wish you a very happy birthday!
- I may not be by your side celebrating your special day with you, but I want you to know that I’m thinking of you and wishing you a wonderful birthday.
- It’s a smile from me… To wish you a day that brings the same kind of happiness and joy that you bring to me. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to you
Dear friend of mine
I hope you have a day
That is simply divine!
- I wish for all of your wishes to come true. Happy birthday!
Birthday wishes for men
In this chapter we have collected birthday sayings especially for men for you.
They sometimes use clichés, which is why they can also cause a laugh or two. Choose the saying that best suits the celebrant.
- Today is your day, live it like you are the king of the world and don’t mind what others say, this day is just for you! Happy birthday.
- Happy Birthday to a great guy! You do so much for others. I hope you can take some time for yourself on your big day. You deserve it as much as anyone, and more than most.
- Hope your birthday is just like you…totally freaking awesome!
- I am blessed to have a buddy like you. Happy birthday, dear friend. May your special day be loaded with happiness and love.
- In you, I found
The best moments
And utter bliss.
May that also be true
Of your special day.
Funny birthday wishes
When it comes to funny and cheeky birthday wishes, you should be careful not to hurt any feelings and make sure your humor is understood.
After all, the birthday should be a nice day for the one who celebrates and you certainly want to make him laugh instead of brooding.
In particular, sayings that make fun of old age are not for sensitive or pessimistic people who already have a problem with aging.
- Happy birthday to one of the few people whose birthday I can remember without a Facebook reminder.
- One year older? Don’t take it so hard! Keep up the shenanigans, or you’ll grow up.
- On your birthday, I thought of giving you the cutest gift in the world. But then I realized that is not possible because you yourself are the cutest gift in the world.
- Happy Birthday! You know, you don’t look that old. But then, you don’t look that young, either.
- To quote Shakespeare: "Party thine ass off!"
- Most people will make fun of your age now. But not me! Because I do not make fun of old people.
- At your age, the saying "beauty comes from within" is really gaining momentum. Happy Birthday!
- It’s birthday time again, and wow! You’re a whole year older now! So clown around and have some fun to make this birthday your best one. Happy birthday!
- My birthday! "How many years ago?
Twenty or thirty?" Don’t ask me!
"Forty or fifty?" How can I tell?
I do not remember my birth, you see!
But — how old am I? You must tell.
Just as old as I seem to you!
Nor shall I a day older be
While life remaineth and love is true!
(Julia C. R. Dorr)
- Congratulations on being even more experienced. I’m not sure what you learned this year, but every experience transforms us into the people we are today. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday! May your Facebook wall be filled with messages from people you never talk to.
- Cheers on your birthday. One step closer to adult underpants.
- You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime. Happy birthday!
- Don’t worry, gray hair can be dyed! Happy Birthday!
- You’re older today than yesterday but younger than tomorrow, happy birthday!
When sending funny birthday wishes, it also matters whether you know the birthday boy or girl well or not. An acquaintance or your supervisor to write a funny wish in the birthday card can quickly backfire.
Close friends or colleagues with whom you regularly exchange funny sayings or jokes can be better appreciated. Then funny birthday sayings are not a problem. These birthday sayings are suitable for both men and women.
Birthday wishes for kids
First and foremost, birthday sayings for kids should be fun for children. Thematically, they should not deal with the seriousness of life or adulthood, but pick up funny things that children can identify with.
Among other things, we have a few individual examples that address special skills or hobbies of children.
- Is there such a thing as cuteness overload? Not when it comes to you! Happy birthday, cutie!
- Birthday greetings to a very special kid. Happy birthday, brave-heart.
- What a day to be happy,
And smile the whole way through,
Today is your big birthday,
A special one just for you.
Blow out all your candles,
Make your wishes come true,
Eat slice after slice of cake,
Nothing is too good for you.
- As you blow out your candles, I hope all your wishes come true. Happy birthday!
- Sending you a hundred bazillion kajillion happy wishes for a happy birthday!
- Thousand kisses you shall get,
because we love you so much.
From me you get the biggest kiss,
I’m sorry, but he is a must!
- X years ago a baby came running, without stockings, without shoe', dear X, that was you! Happy Birthday!
- Why fit in, when you were born to stand out? Happy birthday to the one and only unique kid in the town.
- On your birthday I wish that you become the best version of yourself. Be self-competitive. Happy birthday, kiddo!
- Enjoy the sweet and warm birthday wishes coming your way. Have an awesome birthday!
For children, rhymes are always especially nice. They sound melodic and are easy to remember. Younger children often even enjoy reciting rhymes aloud. Birthday sayings for children should always be easy to understand and formulated in simple words so that they are sure to be understood.
Short birthday wishes
Birthday wishes that are short are particularly suitable for gift tags, Facebook, WhatsApp, email and the like.
Especially if the birthday child gets a lot of different messages from all kinds of friends and acquaintances, he probably does not have time to read long texts.
- Have the best birthday ever!
- Happy birthday to my ride or die. Love you bunches!
- Enjoy your special day!
- Our age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying us!
- Happy birthday! Here’s to more life, love, and adventures with you to come!
- Wherever the year ahead takes you, I hope it’s happy.
- Thinking of you on your birthday and wishing you everything happy.
- Wishing you the biggest slice of happy today.
- Today is about you. I can’t wait to celebrate you all day long!
- The day is all yours – have fun!
For birthday cards, it is usually nicer to decorate short birthday sayings with a longer text. Especially close friends and family are certainly very happy about more than just a short saying.
But even here short birthday sayings can fill gaps well, if you do not know what to write anymore and still have space on the card. If you don’t know the person that well, no short saying in a card is enough to congratulate either. This is more about the gesture. He or she won’t be expecting a long text.
Individual birthday wishes
With custom birthday wishes, it comes down to picking up something personal from the birthday boy or girl’s life and using it in a saying.
Below you will find not only simple birthday sayings, but also small birthday texts. They are freely formulated and are wonderful for filling a card.
In addition, they are tailored to different preferences, skills and hobbies. Maybe there is a text for you that suits your birthday boy or girl.
- For me, your birthday is not the only time to celebrate you. If I had my way, every day would be a celebration in your honor. Happy birthday!
- Things change but you’ve managed to stay the same all these years. You’re still the same wonderful person you’ve always been. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to an amazing friend. You’re a genuine classic in an average world. May your big day be extraordinary in every way, just like you are.
- Happy birthday. You deserve all the love, joy, inspiration and adventure that you bring everybody. Wishing you an epic birthday celebration, as extraordinary as you are
- Happy birthday! Life is short, and birthdays are even shorter. Blow out your candles and eat as much birthday cake as you want. Seize this special day.
- I know, usually it’s you who teaches something. But today I want to teach you something: Your birthday is for enjoying, laughing and relaxing. Don’t stress today, I’ll take care of all the mishaps!
- Happy birthday. May the joy, kindness, laughter and wonder that you spread each and every day of your life turn your special day into the birthday celebration of the century.
- I’m afraid the wishes do not sit so loosely on my tongue. Guess you have to give me some advice there, but well, today you still have off and may celebrate your birthday with me. Here’s to your wordiness and my presence – cheers and all the best!
- Please don’t think about the office today, it’s your birthday after all.
Oh well, greetings from the office from your work colleague, congratulations and see you Monday!
- My dear,
I know you love shopping more than anything. But today for your birthday you have to pull yourself together, because your guests have shopped hard and bring you (hopefully) great gifts.
We are happy to celebrate with you today and if you have to exchange something, you have at least a reason to go to town again!
Custom birthday sayings are especially nice for friends and family, and show the person who gets it that you know them well and have made an effort. It’s especially nice if you draw another small motif in the birthday card that matches your saying.
Beautiful birthday quotes
Quotes are also suitable as birthday sayings. They are small wisdom about life and aging. Among our quotes you can find the words of witty writers, philosophers and other famous personalities.
The quotes have a saying character, as they are short and universal, similar to proverbs. They are usually formulated a bit more seriously and are therefore suitable for friends and family as well as for acquaintances or work colleagues.
- Old age: A great sense of calm and freedom. When the passions have relaxed their hold, you may have escaped, not from one master but from many.
- We turn not older with years, but newer every day.
- Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.
(Titus Maccius Plautus)
- Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.
- With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.
- And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.
- God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.
- Just remember, once you’re over the hill you begin to pick up speed.
- If we could be twice young and twice old we could correct all our mistakes.
- Youth is happy because it has the ability to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
- Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young.
- We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
(George Bernard Shaw)
- Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wings of time.
(Jean Paul Richter)
- When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
It’s always nice if you add a few words of your own to your chosen quote – either with a personal birthday greeting or a little explanation. Write what this quote means to you or how you understand it. Direct references to the birthday boy or girl are also a nice idea.
Tips for birthday wishes
The easiest way to give birthday wishes is probably to buy cards with ready-printed wishes. However, the personal inscription is much nicer and more personal.
You don’t have the problem that you think the card is beautiful, but the saying doesn’t fit the birthday child and you can decide for yourself how much you want to write in your card.
Do you write large and the card is already filled by a saying or do you write extra smaller so that more nice words fit into the card? It is entirely up to you.
Send or give away?
There are so many ways to send or give birthday wishes. You can send them by mail, by email, by fax, on WhatsApp, on Facebook, by SMS, and with all sorts of other means of communication.
You can give them away in a birthday card that you deliver in person, you write them on a gift tag or a cake, or you can even frame them and wrap them as a gift.
Which is the best option always depends entirely on the age and interpersonal relationship. While your aunt would be happy to receive a nice WhatsApp message, your boss might be more confused.
And while you might send your buddy a funny saying that makes fun of his age, your grandma might not be happy about such a saying at all.
So always tailor your congratulations to the person whose birthday it is, and weigh how close you are and what your relationship is.