72 “Happy Birthday” Wishes for Dad & 3 Gift Ideas
Do you need the perfect birthday wishes for your father? In this article you will find numerous sayings and quotes in different categories that will help you show your dad how much you love him.
The bond between a father and his children is unique. For the birthday of one of your first heroes in life, you’ll want to send a special greeting.
Choose between special father-daughter greetings and father-and-son sayings, funny or touching. We have a collection of well wishes for you here, from which you can draw inspiration for your birthday card.
Happy Birthday Wishes for Your Dad to Write on a Card
Heart-Touching Birthday Wishes for Dad
Contrary to outdated gender stereotypes, fathers also have deep feelings and emotions that they like to express and hear from their children.
With these touching birthday quotes you will soften your dad’s heart and emphasize your individual connection.
- "There are many fathers who have children but few children who have fathers." (Francis de Croisset) — And we have by far the best. Best wishes for your birthday.
- "My dad is a big kid that I had when I was very little." (Alexandre Dumas the Younger) — Since then I have never received a nicer gift. I love you, dad. Happy Birthday.
- "No one who has children needs to grow old if they don’t want to. All he has to do is keep them young." (Johannes von Müller) — So let’s not celebrate any number today, just the person you are. Happy birthday, Dad. We are very proud to be your children.
- "You learn more from your children than they learn from you: They learn a world from you that is no more; You learn one from them, which is now becoming and valid." (Friedrich Rueckert) — From the bottom of our hearts, we wish you a happy birthday, Dad. Thank you for accompanying us on our way and for always being by our side with advice and action.
- My dearest father, you taught me to be positive and open-minded about things and to always let life surprise me. Your ability to inspire is the best thing you have passed down to me. Therefore, remember: "Whoever has the gift of God of enthusiasm will probably grow older, but never old." (Johann Gerhard Oncken) — My wish for you is to let yourself be inspired immortally. Happy Birthday.
“Happy Birthday in Heaven Dad”: Quotes to Remember Your Late Father
Losing a father is a pain that children never fully come to terms with. You can put the sayings collected here on your father’s grave or send them to heaven to honor him on his birthday.
- "Love’s longing demands presence; but the future belongs to the father." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe) — Happy birthday, Dad. We miss you very much, but we will see each other again.
- "I miss your advice, your help, your closeness and security. But the memories and impressions you left behind remain." (Unknown) — Today, on your birthday, I miss you very much. How I would like to eat cake with you now, share a drink and some laughs with you… You will be missed very much. Happy birthday, Dad.
- "Time together doesn’t come back. But the thought of it gives me strength for the future." (Unknown) — Even though you can’t be here anymore, you are my compass. Today you would be __ years old and we would love to celebrate with you. You are missed here, Dad. Happy heavenly birthday.
- "My dad was always like a mountain to me, but now it stands still. It’s much quieter down here now and I miss my signpost. For your birthday, which is today, I wish that you are happy. happy up there in heaven. Laughing on clouds that are velvety soft. Even if down here there is a lot missing, because you were snatched from us too quickly, I’m sure everything will be fine, because you taught me I just need courage." (Anna Koehler)
- "My teacher, my hero, my father, you were always my favorite advisor. Now you’re gone but never truly gone because you will stay with us forever. Today, Dad, would be your birthday and your absence hits like a blow every year. We love and miss you. But we will meet again, I promise." (Anna Koehler)
- Father, you were my childhood and my home. Your loss still affects us all deeply and that will never change. Today would be your birthday, which is why the whole family gathers at your grave. We are thinking of you and wish you were with us. Even if these lines will probably never reach you, I hope that you know that we will never forget you and that we are grateful to you for so much. Happy birthday, Dad.
- “Dad is another word for love, and the loss of love is heavy. The fact that you’re gone sometimes robs me of all drive. I miss you even more on your birthday today. So now I send greetings to heaven. I hope they reach you and don’t get lost in the crowd. If you can, Dad, send me a sign." (Anna Koehler)
Happy Birthday Wishes for Dad from Your Daughter
Fathers are like heroes to their daughters. There is a unique dynamic between the two that reflects their similarities and differences.
You can combine the birthday wishes from this category with photos of you and your dad together. This will make a great personal gift even if it’s at the last minute.
- "The fathers do what they can, the daughters what they want." (Unknown) — Today, I want you to have a nice birthday. All the best, Dad.
- "Nothing is sweeter to an old father than a daughter. Boys are bolder, but they’re not as sensitive in their ways." (Euripides) — Well, it’s great that you’re old now. Happy Birthday.
- "Dad, you are my hero, even if you don’t always like it what I’m up to and what I do in my life, you still don’t oppose it. I am sure of your support, I know that. I am aware that the older you get, the more you want to embarrass me because you think you have to. You’re welcome to try. But then I’ll steal your cake. Happy birthday; I wish you all the best. Your daughter here feels like celebrating." (Anna Koehler)
- "Your son is your son for today, but your daughter is your daughter forever." (Irish proverb) — Happy birthday, Dad. I love you very much and will always need you. Thank you for being who you are.
- "Father and daughter are fundamentally alike, she still young and he meanwhile a bit pale. He taught her to ride a bike; she used to pull his hair. A daughter like that can sometimes be annoying like, but she loves her papa very much." (Anna Koehler) — Happy birthday, dear Dad, I wish you all the best. Thank you for enduring my whims and always supporting me. Let’s celebrate you today.
- Dear Papa, I am very proud to be your daughter and wish you all the best on your special day. Stay as you are and stay with us for a long time, because I, for my part, need you for a while. Sending my best to you, Dad.
- "Being my dad isn’t always easy, because one child is not the same as another. I am often exhausting and also loud. And your birthday cake, Dad, I messed it up. I know you still love me because that is part of the foundation of being a father. Let’s forget the calorie bomb called cake now. Mom finally made your favorite dinner. On your birthday, I’ll hold you tight in my arms with my quirky daughter charm." (Anna Koehler)
- My dear Dad, I wish you all the best on your birthday. Thank you for always being there for me, protecting me and fighting for me. For always believing in me and being my biggest supporter. I don’t know how I could be without you.
Happy Birthday Wishes for Father in Law
For many people, their fathers-in-law are a big and vital part of their lives. Even if they have their own biological father they love, fathers-in-law have an important role in families.
It’s important for you and your spouse to remember your father-in-law on his birthday. Here are quotes and sayings to help you express to your father-in-law what he means to you and the family.
- You’re my favorite father-in-law. You may be my only father-in-law — but you’re still my favorite. Happy birthday.
- I view you like a second dad. Thank you for everything you do for our family. Happy birthday.
- I hope you relax and enjoy your birthday to the fullest. Happy birthday.
- To my father-in-law, you bring so much light to our family. All the best on your birthday.
- Father-in-law, I hope today and the upcoming year are filled with everything you love most (including me, of course). Happy birthday to a wonderful person.
- To my dad-in-law — thank you for raising such a wonderful (son/daughter). You’re the best and I hope you have a fantastic birthday.
- I’m so grateful to you for everything you do. Thank you for being you. Happy birthday.
- Father-in-law, you deserve all of the best things life has to offer. Sending you hugs on your birthday.
- You’re like a dad to me and I’m so glad to know you. All the best on your birthday.
- Make a birthday wish — your (son/daughter) and I will hopefully be able to make at least one of those wishes come true for you.
- For your birthday, I wish you serenity, peace, and love. I hope you have a wonderful day.
- I hope your day is filled with everything you love and more. Cheers to you, my fantastic father-in-law.
- Our family wouldn’t be the same without you and we hope we get to be around you for many years to come. All the best on your birthday.
- Happy birthday. You’re a man that everyone respects and admires and I’m so glad to know you.
- On your birthday, I wanted to thank you for everything you have done and tell you I love you. I hope you have a stellar day.
Jokes and Funny Birthday Wishes for Daddy
Many fathers are known for their bad jokes. Why don’t you turn the tables on your dad’s special day?
With the wishes from this category you can make your father laugh and show him how grateful you are for him in a humorous way.
- Dear Dad, we wish you a happy birthday. We love you very much. Unfortunately, we don’t have a gift for you, but you know: "A father’s heart feels that it was made to forgive and not to need forgiveness." (Jean Jacques Rousseau)
- "Today it’s his birthday, our dad, even if he used to look better — isn’t he old yet? — and drinks his beer ice cold today. We children wish you only the best, and look forward to the future." (Unknown)
- "A father: a man who has achieved something that makes sense." (Unknown) — That would probably be us kids — we always make perfect sense. Happy birthday, Dad.
- "Our father is the best. In the evening he snores loudly in bed, comes home late, then eats the leftovers. His hair is graying, his memory is a sieve, and I think he used to be smarter. But we still love him." (Unknown) — Happy birthday, Dad.
- "What fate takes in hair, it replaces in humor." (German proverb) — So be confident you won’t go bald and even if you do, at least you’ll be funny at some point. And I don’t mean your typical dad jokes. Happy Birthday, Dad.
- "When you are old, obey your children." (Japanese proverb) Well, Dad, here we are. Bring on your birthday cake. Happy birthday and all the best. It’s great that you’re here.
Special Birthday Wishes for Papa
You may be one of the many people to refers to your dad as “Papa.” If that’s you, we have special birthday wishes you can include in your birthday card to your dad below.
Even if you don’t call your dad “Papa,” simply substitute in your nickname for him. These sweet birthday greetings are straight from the heart and work for all fathers.
- Papa, you’ve been my rock, my hero, and my light. On your birthday, I thank you.
- Happy birthday to my one and only Papa. Without you, I wouldn’t be the thriving person I am today. Sending all my best to you.
- Huge hugs to you on your birthday, Papa. Although I can’t be nearby, I’m thinking of you with love and hoping you have a wonderful day.
- I hope you have a wonderful birthday, Papa. You’re the best.
- Papa, I hope you kick back and do absolutely nothing today. You’re amazing and I love you.
- I can never thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me, Papa. However, I can try. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, and I love you. Happy birthday.
- Not everyone is as lucky as I am to have a superhero for a Papa. On your birthday and every day, I’m thankful for you.
- Happy birthday to the best Papa in the world. You do so much for me and I’ll do anything I can to help you. I hope you have a wonderful day.
- Papa, simply put, you’re the best. I hope you teach me how to be as great as you when I reach your age. Have a terrific birthday.
- Wishing you an amazing day and an amazing year ahead — and many more. You’re in my thoughts and heart, Papa.
- Here’s to you, Papa. Today in every day, you’re my hero. Happy birthday.
- Papa, let me treat you to your favorite meal today. Let’s have a day full of laughter and delicious food. All the best on your birthday.
- I brag to my friends that I have the best Papa. I want to honor you today. I hope you have the best birthday ever.
- My Papa, my friend. I’m so glad you’re in my life. Have a phenomenal birthday.
- It’s rare to find an amazing Papa like you. Today, I salute you, celebrate you, and thank you. Happy birthday.
“Happy Birthday Daddy”: Touching Poem
Sometimes, the best way to express admiration for your dad is with a heartfelt poem. Talented poets have been writing poems about fathers for many years and you can include one in your birthday card to your dad.
Use these beautiful words to supplement your own personal birthday wishes to your daddy. He will be touched by how much you care when you express yourself in this way.
He was always my pillar when I knew I’d fall,
Always my anchor so strong and tall.
His hard face changes only for me.
His softer side, so careless and free.
He knows my dreams are too big for this place.
His little girl’s leaving, ready to begin her race.
He knows I’ll be thinking of him wherever I go.
I know I’m ready to do this on my own,
But still I cry and he holds me tight,
He tries to be strong, not a tear in sight.
I’m ready to reach for the stars in the sky.
He’s ready to watch his princess fly.
It’s time to let go, sure of a path to take,
But now I know, even pillars can break.
For when I drive away, trying to stifle my cries,
All I could see were tears in my father’s eyes.
Short Quotes for Your Dad’s Birthday
Brief birthday wishes are limited to the essentials — to the greetings themselves. They are particularly suitable for sending as a text message. Add a GIF or a picture of you and your dad together to add a personal touch to your greetings. Here are some short birthday wishes:
- Happy Birthday, Dad. Today is your day, enjoy it.
- Happy birthday from us. We love you.
- You are the best father we could wish for. Happy birthday.
- We wish you lots of cake and lots of fun on your birthday.
- Another year older and another year smarter — happy birthday.
- Because today is your birthday, we are thinking of you, dear Dad. Celebrate well.
- You shouldn’t worry about anything today. Have a wonderful birthday, Dad.
- Dear Dad, it’s your birthday and I want to celebrate it with you. Happy birthday.
- Congratulations, dad. Here’s to a new, wonderful year of life.
- On your birthday, I wish you all the best and send you a big hug.
Birthday Messages from Son to His Father
A proverb says "Like father, like son."
To allude to your similarities and show your dad on his birthday how proud you are to share his values and traits, use one of the sayings from this category.
- "The worst misfortune for an ordinary man is to have an extraordinary father." (Austin O’Malley) — And you’ve got it, dad. I wish you all the best for your birthday.
- "Now the time inevitably comes in everyone’s life when he meets his own father again in the image of his being." (Stefan Zweig) — Which I’m very proud of. Happy birthday, Dad.
- "I’m so thankful to have you as a role model, you made a man out of this boy. Are we similar? Yes we are, Dad. You don’t know how I envy you. For your wisdom and your knowledge, I never want to miss you here. Happy birthday. In your honor, I certainly won’t fight back on drinking a beer or two with you, even if the clock is not yet four." (Anna Koehler)
- I wish you the best on your birthday, Dad. You are my role model in so many things and I know I can still learn a lot from you. Let’s toast today that because you’re getting older, and therefore wiser, you can never fail to teach me new things. I’m looking forward to everything that’s yet to come. Happy birthday.
- "Fathers and sons soon resemble each other, when one has shown the other everything. But the father grows old very quickly. What is to be taught is coming to an end. But don’t be afraid, there’s no end. At the latest when the son also becomes a father, Grandpa would then find a new apprentice. But anyone who thinks that he is no longer needed as a father is wrong. For sons celebrate their fathers for life, especially when they’re throwing such a great birthday party." (Anna Koehler) — Happy birthday, Dad. I love you very much.
- "A good example and role model without a word is stronger than the most beautiful and eloquent words with it." (Christian Heinrich Zeller) — You’ve never patronized me or tried to explain why what I’m trying to do won’t work. You let me make my mistakes and then bailed me out. You are my hero, Dad. I wish you all the best for your birthday.
Gift Ideas for Your Dad
Are you thinking of skipping a handmade coupon for a free hug this year, but still have no idea what to get your dad for his birthday? Here are present ideas for you.
A particularly nice gift is always time together, which brings the family together. Below you will find great ideas for time together.
The best gift parents get from their children is time together. Remember what your dad loved to do with you as a kid and create a new adventure out of it.
Grab the fishing rods from the attic and surprise your father at five in the morning to go fishing with him. You could also go see the latest action movie together.
Ask your mother for help with the implementation of these gift ideas, so that you ensure your dad has time available on the chosen day. You could also fall back on the tried and tested variant of the homemade coupon. Only, instead of a free hug, this time there are many beautiful future memories to be made.
You could book a guided 4-wheeler/ATV tour, where a small group of people drive through backcountry terrain with a guide and 4-wheelers. You can choose between off-road routes or paved road routes.
For your dad, who’s likely been avoiding dangerous situations since you were born, it’s definitely a nice change from the rush-hour traffic in his SUV.
A cake or pie is always a great gift idea. Everyone needs something delicious and decadent on their birthday. You’ll get bonus points if it’s his favorite kind.
If your dad has invited guests to his birthday, you are not only giving him a gift with the cake, but you are also doing some work for him — at least as far as the catering of the guests is concerned.
And if, against the odds, there is still cake left over the next morning, you even took care of breakfast.