70 fun birthday wishes & 15 longer messages
Fun happy birthday wishes can conjure up a smile on the birthday boy or girl’s face and spread some good cheer. Here we have some versatile sayings and messages for every sense of humor, as well as some fun gift ideas.
Fun birthday wishes are something special and stand out from other ways of saying happy birthday, and they can be made even better with a fun gift. However, you should know the person celebrating well enough to understand what makes them smile and their sense of humor.
Fun happy birthday wishes
You can make the birthday boy or girl and their guests smile with a fun way of saying happy birthday, and you’re sure to hit the mark when it comes to your close friends and family.
Below you will find some fun birthday wishes, quotes and aphorisms for men, women and children, and all available free of charge. They’re organized by theme so you can find what you’re looking for in a flash.
Send them via social media platforms like Facebook, messenger apps like WhatsApp or simply via SMS. We also have 15 longer messages which you can use as templates for writing your own personal message inside a birthday card.
Fun birthday wishes for him
The following birthday wishes play on funny stereotypes and clichés about men. They’re especially good if they actually apply to the birthday boy.
For example: the birthday boy is a gamer and gets a new console as a gift. A quote from Friedrich Nietzsche could come in here: "In every real man, a child is hidden that wants to play."
Why not send one of the following sayings to your husband, boyfriend, brother, father, grandpa or uncle on their birthday?
- Happy birthday to a lifelong friend! I can’t wait until we’re old enough to be terrorizing the senior home nurses together!
- Here’s to many more rotations around the sun. May you live to be old and toothless – Jell-O is the caviar of the future! Happy Birthday.
- "Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words."
I don’t think he thought about the hangover you’ll have tomorrow morning when saying that. But I hope you’ll have a nice evening that you can hopefully remember.
- At your age, people expect you to be calm, dignified and sober… Disappoint them. Happy Birthday!
- From 50 onwards, it’s your duty to get up to all the shenanigans you didn’t have the money for when you were 20.
- Congratulations on your 30th birthday, and pull yourself together a bit, it’s not time for a midlife crisis yet!
- Life begins at 66, so get excited, you still have 6 years to go yet!
- A few words of wisdom for you on your birthday: "Smile while you still have teeth."
- A wise man once said, "Forget about your past, you cannot change it". I’d like to add: "Forget about your present, I didn’t get you one". Happy birthday!
- At your age, the saying "Beauty comes from within" is really gaining momentum. Happy birthday!
- Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years.
- It’s clear to see the days of your life have been kind to you. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the nights! Happy birthday, my friend!
- Be proud of getting older. Soon you’ll get the senior discount too.
- Happy birthday to you: fine wine is also old.
- Everyone gets to be young once. Today it’s official, your turn is over. Happy birthday!
On the whole, fun sayings for men are usually more sarcastic and cutting than those for women. Still, make sure they don’t offend or hit a sore spot.
Fun birthday wishes for her
Every person deals with their birthday differently. Some dread their ever-increasing number, while others approach their new age with a smile.
We have put together some fun birthday wishes that are perfect for women. They are less sarcastic than those for men and take a bit more of a gentle approach to the topic of ageing, but still have a cheeky, funny edge.
They’re also often worded in such a way that’s uplifting and charming, so you’re taking less of a risk with them.
- I can only hope to be as great a woman as you one day. But obviously with better clothes. Happy birthday!
- When you hit 50, you may not be able to see any letters from up close, but you’ll still be able to make out idiots from a distance!
- "Being young is beautiful; being old is comfortable."
(Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- Let’s get you so drunk that you end up believing it’s my birthday and buying me drinks all night. Happy birthday!
- Your birthday is the perfect excuse to get drunk on a weekday. Bottoms up!
- You are an absolute dream girl. Or what’s it called when you’re always tired?
- You know what they say about more candles… A bigger wish! Happy Birthday.
- "The first forty years of life give us the text; the next thirty supply the commentary on it."
- "Everybody wants to live forever, but nobody wants to grow old."
- Congratulations on being born a really long time ago.
- You’re not 30, you’re 21 with nine years of experience.
- "Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter."
- You don’t have to be afraid of getting older – you can dye gray hair!
- Women do not grow old. After a certain age, they only mature.
- You’re shining so brightly today that we don’t even know what number you’re celebrating!
Cool as a cucumber birthday wishes
If you don’t feel like saying happy birthday the ordinary way, we have some sayings for you to sound as cool as a cucumber. They show that you take more of a laidback approach to birthdays and can sometimes sound slightly ironic.
For example, you could say "A birthday is just an excuse to get dressed up" to joke that a birthday doesn’t matter, what matters is getting dressed up and getting together.
- Breaking news: it’s time to celebrate another birthday! I hope your big day is one for the history books, and this year, let’s make it onto the news!
- The happiest of birthdays to the “She” to my “Nanigans”!
- I know you don’t like to make a big deal out of your birthday. I just wanted you to know that you’re a big deal to me. Happy Birthday!
- You being 29, again, means that I’ll never lose track of which birthday you’re on, but I may have to explain it to the nursing home someday. Cheers!
- Be careful. Too many birthdays will kill you. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday — I’m so glad you’ll always be older than me!
- A simple Happy Birthday. That will have to do.
- Great news! You’re still alive! Happy birthday!
- You’re not too old for this stuff. You’re just very tired the next day – and the day after that.
- We’re so old now that we have to have a coffee after the pre-drinks so we don’t fall asleep at the club. Happy Birthday!
These cool ways of saying happy birthday lighten the mood and can tone things down a bit. They’re probably good for birthday boys and girls who don’t like so much attention and fuss.
Cyclist-friendly birthday wishes
Cycling is becoming more and more popular, with 4.5 million people in the US taking up the sport in the past three years alone.
There’s no shortage of motorcyclists either, with almost 10% of US households owning at least one motorbike. This section contains some great wishes for anyone who prefers to get around on two wheels rather than on foot.
- Life is like riding a bike. To keep your balance, you have to keep moving. Happy birthday!
- Have a wheelie great birthday!
- Freedom is being on two wheels – good luck and good health for the year ahead. May you continue to be as fast and as fit as ever.
- My birthday wishes to you: no flat tires in the coming year and lots of good weather!
- Happy birthday, you’re still full of life! I guess your bike keeps away strife.
- Always on the go, uphill or down, rain or shine, you’ll take the crown. Cycling keeps you lively and fit, so happy birthday, and don’t lose your grit!
- Happy birthday! I hope you have a great day and get to enjoy plenty of time on your bike!
- I hope your birthday is as fun and adventurous as a cycling tour through beautiful scenery!
- "A little rust, a dent here and there – what does it matter when someone has so many years… uhh.. kilometers behind them. Happy Birthday!"
- The next road trip is coming for sure, but take a step on the brakes today. Enjoy your birthday and let your loved ones celebrate you.
Funny birthday wishes and jokes
Are you looking for a funny saying or real joke to celebrate someone’s birthday? Then you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve put together a selection of jokes for different senses of humor, so you’re sure to find one to put a smile on the birthday boy’s or girl’s face.
- Here’s my advice to you on your birthday: you can actually make it through life quite well by having a sense of humor, not taking yourself too seriously, and making sure to drink enough wine.
- I will never be an old man. To me, old age is always 15 years older than I am.
- Why do some people get heartburn every time they eat birthday cake? – They always forget to take off the candles.
- Why did the birthday girl feel so warm at her birthday party? – Because people kept toasting her!
- What kind of birthday cake do ghosts like? – An I scream cake.
- Why did the woman celebrate her birthday for only 30 seconds? – It was her 32nd birthday.
- It’s Michael’s birthday and his father wants to congratulate him: "Happy birthday! Today you can make a wish!"
– "I wish for a big St. Bernard."
– "Wish for something else."
– "Okay, I wish for us to switch roles for a day."
– "All right."
– "Good, now come on, we’ll go to town and buy a St. Bernard for Michael."
- Happy Birthday. Without you, it would be like you weren’t there.
- What do you say to a kangaroo on its birthday? – Hoppy birthday!
- A three-year-old birthday boy unwraps his present from Grandma and discovers a water pistol. He squeals with delight and immediately runs to the sink. His mother angrily says to her mother, "I’m amazed, have you forgotten how you used to get annoyed by these things?" Her mother smiled and replies, "No, I haven’t forgotten."
Fun birthday wishes for kids
It is usually difficult for younger children to be patient and read their card before they are allowed to open their gift. So all the better if you make their card a little funny. If they’re still learning to read, you could also read their birthday card to them.
Why not opt for a riddle, tongue twister or pun, for example? Short jokes and puzzles are also popular with kids, and we’ve added in a few fun birthday wishes for teenagers here too.
- Joy and chaos go hand in hand with you around. Happy birthday cheeky monkey!
- Today is your day to party, the house is yours. Kick your parents out, lock all the doors!
- Children do it better than adults: they just say what they think. In this spirit, I wish you a happy 9th birthday, dear Simon! Stay the way you are.
- It’s that time of the year when you are allowed to monkey around and no one will stop you. It’s your birthday! Go bonkers! Happy birthday!
- Today we celebrate your special day even though you were very naughty all year. Happy birthday to the naughtiest kid in town.
- Forget your homework and play lots of games. Have truckloads of fun on your big day. Happy birthday!
- Why fit in, when you were born to stand out? Happy birthday to the one and only unique kid in town.
- Sometimes I do not want to be an adult. I just want to go to the ball pit and throw balls at everyone who annoys me. Enjoy childhood as long as you can – Happy Birthday!
- Finally 18! You’re finally allowed to do everything you’ve secretly been doing for years! Happy birthday!
- What could be better than friends and cake? Happy birthday, dear Luke!
Longer fun birthday messages
In this section, we’ve rounded up 15 different sample messages for sending to a friend, son, daughter, child or even godchild to wish them happy birthday.
Some of the messages rhyme, others contain quotes and little pearls of wisdom – but all of them are light-hearted and a little cheeky. Use them in a birthday card or send them on WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and the like.
Fun birthday wishes for your gal pals
These birthday wishes are suitable for your girl mates.
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
So enjoy your birthday cake before you get hangry and then you’ll have the energy to think about what you want to achieve in the coming year. Happy birthday!
Age is just a number after all. As long as you stay the way you are, you’ll be forever wonderful. So please stay messy, impatient and always late, because that’s what makes you perfect.
Friends are like shoes. When you’re young, you want lots of them and later on in life you realize that you feel more comfortable sticking with the same ones.
You have become my favorite shoe – Happy Birthday!
Fun birthday wishes for your guy pals
Here we have some example messages for sending to a good guy mate to put a smile on his face.
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eyes."
(Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
So close your eyes when you drink your birthday beer. I wish you all the best for the coming year!
"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"
(Vincent van Gogh)
So be brave and stand by your new age. Risk that tomorrow you may not be so dazzling. But that’s part of it and is unfortunately necessary, so that we can have lots of fun today!
The Samurai saying goes "I know nothing about surpassing others. I only know how to outdo myself."
So with this in mind, I hope you break your own Fifa record and congratulate yourself for it! Happy Birthday, my friend!
Fun birthday wishes for your son or daughter
If your son or daughter has a good sense of humor, one of these messages might tickle their fancy.
This morning I dreamt that my child had turned 30 overnight. Then I wake up to see it’s true: you’re already looking for your first gray hair.
Even if you might wince, get embarrassed and complain, I’m saying loud and clear that I love you. Happy Birthday!
Dear Sophie,/Dear Tim,
You have grown up, you’re calmer and cooler, but I know deep inside, it often feels a little different. Maybe I can make you smile by telling you that I wish you all the happiness in the world. I believe in you and will always be there for you, no matter what. You are a great, lovely person, never forget that.
Happy birthday and I wish you only the best for the year to come.
Not up for all the attention today? Keep smiling, nodding and chatting nicely and you’ll be left alone again tomorrow. Happy birthday, sweetheart.
More fun birthday wishes for cheeky children
The following fun birthday wishes will make kids crack a smile.
All the best on your birthday! And since today’s a good day to be in a good mood, here’s a short joke for you, which may also come in handy at school sometime:
The teacher asks: "Who can name six animals that live in Australia?"
Timmy puts his hand up: "One koala and five kangaroos."
It’s nice that we can spend some time together today. I hope you have a lot of fun on your birthday and get some pocket money too – I’m sure the day holds many more beautiful things for you.
For your birthday
We wish all the best,
For the year to come.
It should be a good one,
No reason to be glum.
We’ve all come to celebrate,
And spend quality time with you.
But if there isn’t anything good to eat,
Then ciao, adios, toodle-oo.
Birthday wishes for your godchild
These fun birthday wishes are suitable for your godchild.
We met before you could talk, and before you could even walk. Now you’ve grown into a great kid like no other, and I’m proud to be your godmother.
P.S. You can trust me with everything without a doubt, your parents won’t suss us out!
"On your first birthday you were whining" (Jean Paul) – and on your 30th, you’re wining and dining!
It’s been great to be your godmother/father all this time and watch you grow up. For the future, I wish you only the best!
Fun gift ideas
Below we have some ideas for fun gifts that you can easily make yourself at home. These include, for example, a keepsake box for sharing the fun moments you’ve spent together, funny birthday pictures and even a birthday video.
A DIY memory box
Why not make a memory box yourself and give it as a birthday gift? This way, you’ll both pull at the recipient’s heartstrings and make them smile. It makes for a very personal gift and can be filled with stories of your funniest memories.
To start with, buy or make a small box or decorate a jam jar, then write down some of the memories you’ve shared that still make you smile to this day. Cut the memories you’ve written down into small strips of paper and fold them up. Make sure your box is well filled by the time you’ve finished.
Funny birthday pictures
Why not combine your birthday message with a picture to give the birthday boy or girl a special treat? Simply choose a funny picture and then add some emojis or icons for some birthday decoration.
A childhood photo or a picture where the birthday boy or girl is pulling a funny face are both great choices. You could also create a collage or simply choose a nice photo of you together.
If you don’t have an editing program on your phone or computer, you can download a free app or use Instagram to make the edits. There you also have the option of using GIFs to create short videos.
Make a video
Another great idea is to film a video with your cell phone or camera to wish the birthday boy or girl a happy birthday.
You could film some short interviews with their friends and then send the video to them, for example, or you could make a music video where everyone dances part of a routine for something a bit different.
To do this, contact their family or a few of their friends, give everyone 10 or 15 seconds of a song to dance to, and then put the finished videos together using an app or program, which you can download from the Play Store (Android), Microsoft Store (Windows) or App Store (Mac and iOS).
A gift within a gift
Give your friend something small that you then wrap up in lots of boxes. Examples include a keychain, framed photo, beauty products or jewelry.
The more gift boxes the birthday boy or girl has to open, the more they’ll lose hope that there will actually be a gift inside, so the surprise at the end will be even better.
Funny photo gifts
Tease the birthday boy or girl and make them laugh at the same time with a funny photo gift. For example, you could have your face printed on their wrapping paper or even on some socks for them to wear.
Other examples include an anti-stress ball, mouse pad, T-shirt, mug, doormat or pillow. Instead of your face, you could also have their face or a drawing they did when they were a child printed on various things. For this, it’s best to talk to their parents and ask for a funny drawing.
Prepare a funny quiz
For your gift, you could prepare a funny quiz to do at their birthday party. This proves that you know the birthday boy or girl well and that you have made an effort to do something personal.
All you need is a few slips of paper with questions on that can be drawn from a jar or you could write your questions on index cards and host it pub-quiz style. You yourself can be the moderator. You could also get a bottle of something and whoever gets the answer wrong has to do a shot.
It’s most fun when the questions relate to shared memories or useless knowledge. Plan some easier questions and also a few that the birthday boy or girl definitely won’t know. That way, it’ll be fun for everyone.