60 Funny Birthday Quotes + Tips on How to Send Them
A funny birthday quote or greeting is guaranteed to put a smile on the face of the birthday boy or girl. To help you strike the perfect note, we’ve compiled the best funny birthday quotes along with handy tips on how to send them.
Funny birthday quotes can add a light-hearted twist to a birthday message and make it more personal to the recipient. Generic birthday greetings may be perceived as unimaginative and forgettable or, worse, assumed to represent a lack of care or thought on the part of the sender. To avoid this, there are plenty of humorous ways to personalize your birthday greeting.
The Internet offers countless templates for birthday greetings that can serve as inspiration. Note, however, that a funny birthday quote should always have a personal connection to the birthday boy or girl.
Writing Funny Birthday Greetings: Here’s How
Funny or cheeky birthday quotes are a great way to make a friend or loved one smile on their special day. A funny birthday quote shows you’re thinking of them and helps to spread that birthday feeling!
A birthday is a special day – one on which it’s natural to want to feel special! Of course, you know your recipient best: in many cases, a simple 'Happy Birthday' greeting will suffice to show you care. Whether and how you personalize your greeting will depend on the recipient and the occasion.
Read on to learn what to think about when choosing a funny birthday quote for a particular occasion or recipient.
Personalize Your Birthday Greeting to the Birthday Boy or Girl
Before you set about choosing about a birthday quote, think first about the person who’s going to receive it. Perhaps it’s a good friend; maybe it’s a family member you’re not so close to. Always be sure to select your quote based on the person and relationship.
If you have a good relationship with the birthday boy or girl, a cheeky or sarcastic quip might be in order. Among male friends and relatives, in particular, direct or sarcastic birthday greetings are often sent and received in fun and good humor.
Before sending such a greeting, of course, it’s essential to know the birthday boy of girl’s sense of humor. If you’re going to (affectionately) poke fun at their expense, you should first be certain about how they will take it!
If you’re confident that a person can laugh at themselves, a light-hearted age-related joke might be well received. Otherwise, it’s best refrain from references to ageing and stick with sentiments that will make your recipient feel positive and good about themselves.
When to Send a Birthday Quote
As a rule, you should congratulate the birthday boy or girl on the day itself. Sending a birthday message digitally is a quick and easy way to deliver your greetings.
If you want to send your birthday greetings by post, make sure to drop the card in the mailbox in plenty of time: Depending on the day you mail it, it may take several days for your card to be delivered.
Whether or not it is appropriate to send greetings after the day again depends on your relationship.
For an ex-partner’s birthday, for example, you might consider waiting until the day after their birthday. Indeed, in this case, belated greetings might be more appropriate than a message that is received on the day itself. (Of course, you will be best placed to decide whether it is appropriate to get in touch with him or her at all!)
When it comes to friends and family members, it’s best to make sure that your message is received on the day. Take comfort, though, that if you have a stressful day or forget their birthday as a one-off, most will be willing to forgive and forget about it.
Be Mindful of the Occasion and Age
Not all birthdays are created equal. Depending on the age of the birthday boy or girl, you can personalize your birthday greeting to make it fitting for a special celebration.
Of course, how you customize your greeting will also depend on whether you plan to allude to the recipient’s age. Depending on the relationship, allusions to ageing and age-related quotes can be appropriate and even appreciated: Just make sure that nobody will end up feeling hurt or offended.
Occasion-specific quotes can also be chosen for special birthdays or round number birthdays. Many 18th birthday greetings, for example, refer to driving or coming of age. For round number birthdays, you’ll usually find a selection of age-specific greetings cards to choose from. Depending on the recipient, these can be a thoughtful way to personalize your birthday greeting to the occasion.
Funny Birthday Quotes
Funny birthday quotes are a great way to brighten up your recipient’s day, put a smile on their face, and help make their birthday a special occasion.
To help inspire you, we’ve compiled a selection of funny birthday quotes below. To make a birthday greeting truly personal, however, your birthday message should also incorporate anecdotes and stories that are special and only known to you and the recipient. This demonstrates thought and effort and is a great way to show the recipient how much you care.
All unattributed quotes in this article are from unknown authors.
Funny Birthday Quotes for Friends
Below are a selection of funny birthday quotes that can be sent to friends on their special day. These are especially suitable for close friends who don’t take each other too seriously and are able to enjoy an affectionate joke.
Use one of these quotes to make your friends laugh on their big day.
- "Happy birthday, old friend! Now you really are an old friend. Not only one I’ve known for a long time – now you are officially ancient."
- "Happy birthday! May your heart today be as full as your Facebook wall will be with birthday messages from people you’ve never spoken to."
- "One minute, you’re young and fun. The next, you have a favorite burner on the stove. I think we both know which you are. Happy birthday!"
- "For your birthday, I wanted to give you something that was both funny and charming, but then I remembered you already have me in your life. Happy Birthday!"
- "If you feel a bit lonely, forgotten, or just need someone to cheer you up, remember… You can always change your birthday on Facebook! Happy Birthday!"
- "Wow, another year under your belt. Just let me know how old we’re telling people you are now?! Happy Birthday!"
- "Happy Birthday! Party hard, but not too hard – I hear hangovers get worse with age!"
- "On your special day, I wish you peace, love, insight, relaxation, fun, knowledge, romance, friendship… and all that stuff that doesn’t cost anything. Happy Birthday!"
Short Funny Birthday Quotes
Short birthday quotes are great for when you want to get straight down to business. Space in cards is often limited. If you want to include a message in your own words, too, a short quote might be all you have room for.
In the past, short birthday greetings were useful for sending birthday messages via SMS, since this type of messaging only permits a limited number of characters. If the quote or the greeting was too long, you had to send two messages (and pay for the privilege!).
Today’s messaging services allow your birthday greetings to be short or as long as you want, and friends and family often send entire poems for birthdays. Still, you might prefer to a send a short and sweet birthday quote via WhatsApp or similar. To inspire you, we’ve compiled a selection for you below.
- "You’re not old. You’re aged to perfection."
- "Pst, don’t grow up! It’s a trap. Happy Birthday!"
- "Older? Definitely. Wiser? Mmm… Debatable. Happy Birthday!"
- "If you were my Uber driver, I’d totally give you five stars. Happy Birthday!"
- "A true friend remembers your birthday, but not your age. Happy Birthday!"
- "If you were Jesus, today would be Christmas!"
- "Happy Birthday! Don’t forget to iron that birthday suit."
- "Age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying you."
- "You know what they say about more candles… A bigger wish!"
- "Remember that growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional!"
Funny Birthday Quotes for Him
Birthday greetings for men are usually rather concise and direct. Men are less likely to choose sweet, encouraging or sentimental words for their friends or male relatives, or to appreciate receiving them.
Sarcastic quotes, or quotes that poke fun, are often appreciated by male recipients. However, always be mindful that these will not end up insulting the birthday boy or being taken wrongly.
If you have a close relationship with the birthday boy, they will recognize your humor and take jokes in good spirit. With less close family members or acquaintances, you should be rather more cautious about how a sarcastic quote will be received. If in doubt, play it safe!
More generic birthday wishes also tend to be appreciated. As a rule, men attach less importance to the content of the message than to the fact that you remembered them in the first place.
Funny Birthday Quotes for Your Husband
A husband often has many roles to fill. Many husbands are also fathers – and thus have positions of permanent responsibility!
On his birthday, your husband will love the chance to feel like a kid again, enjoy time with the boys, and take a break from his responsibilities.
With this in mind, we’ve compiled some humorous birthday quotes that will brighten your husband’s day and get his inner child chuckling.
- "You look too good to be this old. Happy birthday!"
- "Happy birthday to the only person I would rescue in the event of a zombie apocalypse."
- "Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway. Happy Birthday!"
- "I’m so glad we’re going to grow old together – and that you’ll always have a head start."
- "Dear Hubby, I wanted to get you something special for your birthday but you already have the best gift ever… ME!"
- "Happy birthday, peanut butter. I am nuts about you."
- "Sometimes, I wonder how you put up with me. Then, I remember that I put up with you too. That means we’re even! Happy Birthday!"
Funny Birthday Quotes for Son
No matter how grown-up your son gets, you never stop being his parent. Birthdays can be a particularly sentimental occasion for proud and loving moms and dads.
These funny birthday quotes are the perfect way to express it all. You can 'play it cool' with a humorous message while inwardly wishing that the birthday boy stays a baby forever!
The list below has quotes suitable for both adult and younger sons.
- "Thank you, son, for allowing us to give you the best parents in the world. Happy Birthday!"
- "It’s like I always say: Having a weird mom builds character. Happy Birthday!"
- "Son, you are kind, handsome, thoughtful and smart…just like your dad. Happy Birthday!"
- "9 times out of 10 children get their awesomeness from their mother. Happy Birthday!"
- "Sons like you don’t come along every day. And thank goodness for that, because we could hardly afford to feed one of you. Happy Birthday!"
- "Another year older, but you will always be our baby boy. Happy Birthday!"
Funny Birthday Quotes for a Brother in Law
Relationship with husbands and boyfriends of siblings varies depending on family dynamics and individual personalities. What they have in common, however, is the appreciation for for a brother-in-law who makes your sibling happy.
If you want to show your appreciation on your brother-in-law’s birthday with a gentle joke at his expense, you’ll find the perfect birthday quote in the list below.
- "There are lots of great people in our family, but you are special… You volunteered. Happy Birthday!"
- "Brother-in-law. The Man. The Myth. The bad influence. Happy Birthday!"
- "Being my brother-in-law is really the only gift you need. Happy Birthday!"
- "Happy birthday, brother-in-law! Congratulations on surviving another year of family madness!"
- "It’s your birthday? That’s all the excuse I need to start drinking early!"
- "Congratulations on surviving another year with my sister/brother. Happy Birthday!"
- "It’s good that we’re related by marriage because otherwise, I’d hate your guts. Happy Birthday!"
Funny Birthday Quotes for Dad
Dads are specialists in bad jokes and cringey humor. Turn the tables for your dad’s next birthday and congratulate him with one of the funny birthday quotes below.
Make his birthday great by delivering them with a wink or a laughing smiley.
- "Hope you have a great birthday, Dad! Just be home by 10."
- "At your age, people expect you to be calm, dignified and sober… Disappoint them. Happy Birthday, Dad!"
- "How do pickles celebrate their birthdays? They relish them. Happy Birthday, Dad!"
- "What goes up and never goes down? Your age. Happy Birthday, Dad!"
- "Happy Birthday, Dad! When I grow up I want to be just like you… But hopefully with more hair!"
- "I wouldn’t say you’re old… you’ve just been young for longer than most of us. Happy Birthday, Dad!"
Funny Birthday Quotes for Her
Every woman feels different on her birthday. Some embrace getting older; others dread their birthday coming around, fear gray hair and want to stay 20 years young forever.
Unlike men, birthday greetings chosen for women tend to be less sarcastic and more sweet and sentimental. They focus on the recipient’s positive qualities and are intended to lift them up and make them feel fantastic on their special day.
Often, these birthday greetings make reference to their caring nature, sense of humor, or outer beauty.
Funny Birthday Quotes for Mom
These funny birthday quotes are perfect for putting a smile on the face of a much-loved mom and emphasizing that age doesn’t matter.
Brighten your mom’s day with these quotes about getting older and staying her same amazing self.
- "Please stop ageing so gracefully. It’s getting kind of boring and predictable. Happy Birthday, Mom!"
- "Happy Birthday, Mom! Guess raising me didn’t send you to an early grave after all!"
- "Happy Birthday to a Mom who looks young enough to be my sister. If you ever start looking younger than me, though… We’re going to have problems."
- "Happy Birthday to a Mom who is perfect in every way. (Well, except for the cooking!)"
- "Happy Birthday, Mom, and thanks for making me this good looking!"
- "Being your least disappointing child should be present enough. Happy Birthday, Mom!"
Funny Birthday Quotes for a Daughter in Law
These funny daughter-in-law birthday quotes are a humorous way to congratulate a new family member on their special day.
- "I’m so glad my son found someone who can handle his weird sense of humour – and I’m even happier that it turned out to be you! Happy Birthday!"
- "You’re not just my daughter in law… You’re my favorite person to shop with! Happy Birthday!"
- "I’m proud to have raised a son with such great taste. Happy Birthday, Daughter in Law!"
- "Happy Birthday from your favorite mother in law!"
- "Happy Birthday, Daughter in Law! Hope your birthday is awesome as the day you joined our family."
Funny Birthday Quotes for Sister
While siblings might fight like cat and dog, their love for each other is like no other. To celebrate this unique bond, we’ve selected the best funny birthday quotes for a much-loved sister.
Strike the perfect mix of sassy and funny by including one of these quotes in your birthday card or message.
- "I love you more than pizza, and that is saying a lot! Happy Birthday to the best slice around!"
- "Happy Birthday, Sis! You smell like my sister and you sorta look like her too!"
- "To the sibling I am least embarrassed to be related to! Or am I? Happy Birthday, Sis!"
- "No matter how old I get, I’ll still always be younger than you. Happy Birthday!"
- "Today we celebrate the birth of Mom and Dad’s second-favorite child: my sister. Happy Birthday, Sis!"
Funny Birthday Poems
Birthday poems are a good choice if you plan to send a longer message. A traditional or classic birthday poem might be a good choice for an older person.
Alternatively, the birthday poems below are a cheeky and funny way to congratulate a friend or relative. If you want to add a personal touch, write your own poem with anecdotes about the birthday boy or girl.
"I’m sure it will give you a lift
that I’ve shown such admirable thrift
in choosing a way
to remember your day
with this heart-warming message (no gift!)"
"This year I have something to boast:
I remembered your birthday (almost).
This card may be late
but it’s close to the date.
Let’s pretend it got lost in the post."
"Another candle on your cake?
Well, that’s no cause to pout.
Be glad that you have strength enough
To blow the damn thing out."
Sending Funny Birthday Quotes
Today, there are lots of different ways to send a funny birthday quote to the birthday boy or girl. You might choose the traditional way, writing your birthday message on a card, or you might choose to send your birthday greetings digitally. In the end, what matters is that the birthday message fits the recipient and helps to brighten up their special day.
Funny Birthday Quotes on Cards
You might opt for the good old-fashioned way of sending your birthday quote in a card. If you do this, there are lots of options for what your card might look like.
One option is to buy a birthday card in a store. You’ll find plenty of of different designs intended for different occasions and personalities.
If you want to make your card more personal, there are plenty of websites offering the option to build a birthday card from scratch. There, you can customize your card for the occasion using your own photos and text and your choice of visual theme. Your card gets a personal twist – and is destined to become a great keepsake instead of ending up in the trash!
Remember, though, that sending by post requires a bit of forward planning. If you choose a card from the Internet, you must do so in sufficient time to allow it to be prepared and dispatched. Allow several days for delivery to ensure that your card arrives on time.
Sending Funny Birthday Quotes via a Messaging App
Whether SMS, Telegram or WhatsApp, there are many ways to send a birthday message digitally. One obvious advantage of the digital method is speed. A birthday message sent via a messaging service will typically reach its intended recipient after just a few seconds!
Another advantage of the digital route is more options to get creative. Videos, pictures and emojis are fantastic ways to customize your birthday greeting and give it a truly personal twist.
Funny Birthday Greetings on Social Media
As well as sending a digital message, you might choose to congratulate the birthday boy or girl via social media.
Unlike a private digital message, sending a birthday quote via social networks also allows you to share your birthday greeting publicly.
If you want to, you can spice up your birthday message with old memory photos, emojis or videos. Depending on your relationship with the birthday boy or girl, you can get as creative as you like with the design.
Sending a birthday message via social networks is often particularly appropriate for people with whom you have a friendly relationship, but not a particularly close one.
Posting your own short birthday greeting among greetings from many other friends and acquaintances is less personal than sending a card or a private message via a messaging app.
Presenting Funny Birthday Wishes in Person
If you feel that sending a card or a private message is not quite special enough, you can also present your birthday quote in person!
Surprise your friend or family member with a visit on their birthday and celebrate it together. Wish them all the best with a specially crafted birthday greeting that is delivered directly by you!
The form of your in-person birthday greeting is completely up to you. One idea could be to write and present your own poem. By incorporating anecdotes and personal stories, you’ll be conjuring up great memories and giving yourselves plenty to share and laugh about. Alternatively, you could recite a funny birthday message in the form of song. Whatever you choose, a birthday message delivered in person is the most personal type of birthday greeting of all: one that is bound to bring your friend or close family member a great deal of birthday happiness on their special day.