70+10 Lovely Birthday Card Messages
Birthday card messages often say more than a gift. That’s why we have ideas for you on how to write a birthday card. Give it a personal touch and make the birthday boy or girl happy. You will also find numerous quotes and messages for inspiration and to serve as templates.
The first birthday card existed with the Romans of the Antique. It was not a card in the classical sense, but a stone engraving inviting someone to a birthday celebration. The birthday cards as we know them today have been around since about the middle of the 19th century, when the first Christmas cards were also printed.
Birthday Card Messages: 70 Quotes & 10 Templates
After you have chosen or crafted a birthday card, the next step is writing. Here it is important to include the interpersonal relationship.
Do you have the same sense of humor? How has the other person congratulated you so far? Do you want to open your heart or would you rather remain distant?
These questions can be decisive in which saying or message is the right one for the particular person you’re writing to. For this reason, we have categorized a wide variety of sayings and texts so you can quickly find what you are looking for.
All of the following sayings and wishes are free to use as they don’t have an author.
Birthday Card Messages for Moms
If your mom is celebrating her birthday and you still need a lovely saying for your birthday card, we have some suggestions for you to choose from below.
- Every mom is special, but trust me, no other mom can compare to you. Happy birthday!
- Wishing a beautiful day for my beautiful mom.
- Mom, thank you for all the sacrifices you’ve made for our family. I’m proud to call you my mom. Happy birthday.
- You’re the best mother anyone could ever ask for. Happy birthday!
- You’ve always been my biggest supporter. Wishing you the absolute best birthday, mom!
- As I look back on my life, I owe you everything and then some. Today, we celebrate you. Happy birthday, mom!
- Nothing could ever break our special bond. I’m lucky to have such a loving mother. Happy birthday!
- I’m beyond grateful to call you my mother and most importantly, my friend. Happy birthday.
- Happy birthday to the woman who always knows how to make me see the glass half full. I admire your optimism. Happy birthday, mom.
- Today we celebrate the wonderful woman who makes us all smile. Happy birthday, mom!
Birthday Card Messages for Dads
The following birthday greetings are geared towards dads. They are very loving and especially appropriate if your relationship with your father is very close.
- I’m so glad to be able to spend your special day with you. Happy birthday to the best dad in the world!
- You’re more than just my dad. You’re the greatest man I know. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to the man with all the answers. Have a wonderful birthday, Dad!
- Wishing the bravest man in the world a happy birthday.
- I can’t wait to celebrate your special day with you. Happy birthday!
- Wishing my one and only dad a very happy birthday.
- No one can make me laugh the way you do. Today, I hope to bring a smile to your face. Happy birthday!
- You’ve always been my personal superhero. Thank you for all the lessons you’ve taught me over the years. Happy birthday, dad!
- Fathers are the greatest gift that anyone could ever have. I’m so grateful to call you dad. Happy birthday!
- You’ve always been one of my biggest inspirations. Wishing you the best on your personal new year!
Birthday Card Messages for Your Wife
Is it your wife’s birthday and you’re still looking for the right words for her birthday card? You can of course use our templates, but it’s best to add what makes your wife so special and why you love her.
- Today, you get the cake and the presents, but I get the best gift: Another year of you to love!
- I’m the luckiest person in the world to have you as my wife. Happy birthday, love!
- I appreciate you for all you do and give, day after day. Happy birthday, babe.
- Happy birthday, my love. I’m celebrating everything about you that makes you so amazing.
- As you blow out the candles on your birthday cake, I want to tell you what a wonderful wife you are. Without you in my life, my heart would have broken. With you, I look forward to a wonderful life ahead. Happy birthday, darling.
- Every now and then someone comes into your life and they turn it upside down in a good way, and you are that someone for me! You are my life and I wish you a very happy birthday.
- You may be a year older today but you are sexier than ever! Happy birthday, sweetheart.
- I don’t feel embarrassed to tell all my friends that you are in charge of my life. I feel lucky and proud to have a woman as hardworking and focused as you are, my wife. Happy birthday.
- On birthdays people wish so many things, but for me there are just two words — never and always. Always be by my side and never leave me. I love you so much darling. Happy birthday.
- Most people read quotes to find the true meaning of life, but all I need to do is to look into your eyes. Happy birthday, my dear wife!
Birthday Card Messages for Your Husband
Write your husband a few lines on his birthday and explain what you love about him. You can also, depending on the gift for him, point out the gift and make him curious about what awaits him on his birthday.
- You’re my strength, my anchor, my everything. I love you forever. Happy Birthday to my amazing husband!
- Wishing a very happy birthday to the most perfect man in the world. Have a great day.
- You are the most amazing person on earth. Happy birthday, love!
- Another year older, and you just keep getting stronger, wiser, funnier and more amazing! Happy birthday!
- I hope your day is full of all the things that make you happy. Happy birthday, my love!
- Today’s my favorite day because it’s the day you were born. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday, dear. May God always keep that beautiful smile on your face!
- Every year on your birthday, I get reminded of how much you mean to me. Happy birthday!
- Sorry, babe, but I can’t help you blow out your candles today — you’ve taken my breath away! Happy birthday.
- Happy birthday to my loving husband, best friend, and favorite person. If your birthday is just a fraction of how incredible you are, I know it will be a great one!
Birthday Card Messages for Friends
Write a lovely card to your friends for their birthday. Usually a short sentence is enough, but you can also make the following examples more personal.
- Another year older, and you just keep getting stronger, wiser, funnier and more amazing!
- I hope your birthday week is filled with all the things that make you smile.
- Wishing the most amazing friend I have, a birthday filled with happiness and so much love.
- Age is just a number. As long as you stay as you are, you will be beautiful forever.
- "We are always the same age inside."
(Gertrude Stein, American author, 1874-1946)
So don’t worry about getting older. You will always be the same for me. Happy birthday!
- Warmest wishes and love on your birthday and always!
- I feel so lucky to have you in my life. Hope you have a wonderful birthday.
- Wishing you everything that will make your birthday happy and your year amazing.
- If your birthday is half as amazing as you are, it will be one extraordinary day.
- Times may have changed since the day you were born, but you are still young at heart!
Birthday Wishes for Children
Serious life wisdom and lectures don’t belong in greeting cards for children. They should be funny, colloquial and interestingly written. Besides, it is nicer if the text is not too long, because while reading the card, children usually already can’t wait to open their gift.
So the following sayings are written appropriately for children: easy to understand, short and with a bit of wit. There are personal sayings here as well as ones you could use for almost any child. This is an advantage if you don’t see the birthday child that often and don’t know his or her preferences.
- Always head in the direction of happiness and all your dreams and ambitions will come true. Happy birthday to the best kid ever!
- We are so happy to watch you grow wiser and more beautiful every year. We love you!
- Your birthday’s even more fun than elephants farting! Happy birthday!
- We love you so much and hope you accomplish everything you want to in life. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday! No matter how many birthdays you have, you will always be our baby boy/girl.
- There’s nothing more special than the day you were born — because that’s the day the whole world became brighter!
- Happy birthday, dear [name]! Enjoy all the sweetest birthday wishes coming your way!
- As the special birthday (kid/boy/girl), you deserve the happiest day of all!
- Happy birthday to a smart, strong, brave, and totally awesome superhero — you!
- As you blow out your candles, I hope all your wishes come true. Happy birthday!
Quotes and Sayings for a Funny Birthday Card
Funny sayings for a birthday card can provide a laugh and lighten the mood. However, that’s only the case if you know the humor of the person whose birthday it is. So for professional contacts or acquaintances, you’re better off choosing a saying that might not hurt their feelings.
Even if you know that the person has problems with aging, you should be cautious with sayings about age. After all, you want the birthday boy or girl to have a good day and not get broody or sad. With close contacts who share your sense of humor, you can rather use funny sayings. You can find more funny birthday sayings here.
- Forget about the past you can’t change, the future you can’t predict, and definitely forget about the present because I didn’t get you one. Happy birthday!
- Friends celebrate friends on their birthdays. Real friends get you drunk on your birthday. Luckily for you, I’m the second kind.
- You don’t look a day over 16! From a distance, with my eyes closed. Happy birthday!
- I’d give you my last chicken nugget. That’s really saying something. Happy Birthday!
- I smell old people! Oh, wait, no that’s just you. Happy birthday!
- Here’s to another year of questionable life decisions! Happy birthday, queen/king!
- Good thing I found you! Because to be honest, I think we both know you couldn’t find glasses if they were on your face. Happy birthday!
- On the occasion of your birthday, here are some words of wisdom just for you. Make sure to keep on smiling, while you still have teeth! Happy birthday old-timer!
- On your birthday you might be thinking "Oh man, I’m getting old", but don’t worry. Just because you’re old doesn’t mean you won’t still be doing dumb stuff. You’ll just be doing it slower. Happy birthday!
- They say take every birthday with a grain of salt. I say take it with a whole bunch of salt, and bonus points if it accompanies a very large margarita. Make yours a double. Happy birthday!
What to Write in a Birthday Card
In this chapter, we have different birthday card messages that you can use to write your birthday card. They are longer than our sayings and already a bit more personalized. Choose a message that best fits the relationship between you and the birthday boy or girl.
You will also find poems that you can use as birthday text or write on the left side of your folded card. Get inspired by these examples or use them as templates for your birthday wishes.
Some messages use a quote as the foundation, and then elaborate on it in the text. This method is very helpful if you are at a loss for words. Just pick a saying or a quote and describe it in your own words. Relate it to the person and you have a personal birthday message.
You are in the prime of your life, beautiful, healthy and full of energy. At the same time, you have already been able to gather quite a bit of life experience, so that only a very few things can shock you and you can do many things properly from now on — in other words, an optimal mix!
I wish you all the happiness in the world for your birthday and that you have a fantastic day.
The best weapon against aging is the inner child. So be happy, exuberant, crazy, playful and silly today and throughout the new year of your life. I wish you lots of fun and laughs on your birthday. Happy birthday!
I wish you all the best and much love for your birthday!
Stay the way you are. Don’t let others stress you out, because you will make it your way. You have proven that many times.
Let yourself be celebrated today and enjoy your day.
On this special day, we celebrate you,
Another year older, wiser too.
May all your wishes and dreams come true,
And blessings abound in all that you do.
I look forward to each of your birthdays a little more because it means we get to know each other better each year. With anticipation for your next birthday and excitement for what we will be up to during that time, I wish you all the best for your birthday!
"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature."
(Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor, 121-180)
You alone determine how you feel about life and what you make of it. So far you have proven that you can appreciate life and master it. I am very proud of you, keep up the good work and have a wonderful birthday today.
Happy birthday and only the best for the new year of your life!
If you think you’ve gotten old, just call me and we’ll repeat the nonsense from the past and you’ll feel young again right away.
"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"
(Vincent van Gogh, Dutch painter and graphic artist, 1853-1890)
So be brave and embrace your new age. Take the risk that tomorrow you may not be feeling well. But that’s part of it and unfortunately necessary so that we can have fun today!
Happy birthday to you, with love and cheer,
May your day be filled with joy and beer.
May your heart be light and your spirit bright,
And may your year ahead be nothing but right.
I wish you only the best for your birthday, good health and happiness. I hope you will be happy with your gift, I made it myself with much love.
I love you. Happy birthday!
What a Birthday Card Is
A birthday card is a greeting card sent to a person on their birthday. Similar to a cake, birthday songs, or gifts, birthday cards are a part of tradition. Not only are they helpful in showing who a gift is from, but they also provide an opportunity to add a personal touch.
For this reason, you can deduce a lot about the personal relationship from a birthday card. For example, greeting cards for acquaintances and work colleagues are probably written more formally. Cards for family and friends, on the other hand, are often more heartfelt.
You can also pass on life wisdom in a birthday card, insert sayings about family, put money in the envelope, or craft a card. Especially if the gift is rather material and not very personally selected, a birthday card is essential.