Happy Birthday: 80 birthday wishes, quotes & messages for any age
Birthday wishes come in all different shapes and sizes. Finding the right way of saying Happy Birthday is not always so easy, so we’ve pulled together some examples for you and put them into different categories so you’ll be able to find a great birthday message to suit the birthday boy or girl.
When choosing how to wish someone Happy Birthday, you should think about how you’d like them to react when they read it. Does the birthday boy or girl like a bit of humor and cheek or would a wise quote be a better choice?
We have pulled together 80 different ways of saying Happy Birthday and put them into categories for you.
Here you’ll find heart-warming, individual, funny and short ways of wishing men, women and children Happy Birthday, as well as some apt birthday quotes with pictures, so from now on finding the right birthday wishes will be a piece of cake.
Unless otherwise specified, the authors of these messages and sayings are unknown.
Heart-warming birthday wishes
There’s something for everyone in this category. These kinds of birthday wishes often come from the heart and are suitable for wishing a Happy Birthday to anyone you know.
Whether said to a family member, friend or acquaintance, young or old, these wishes are friendly and gracious, and there is no danger of any misunderstandings. These beautiful words are sure to spread some joy and shouldn’t be missing from a birthday card.
- Wishing you a very happy birthday and a year filled with love, adventure and prosperity. Here’s to you!
- The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything.
- Wishing you all the happiness and love in the world today. May all your dreams come true and may Lady Luck pay you a visit. Happy birthday to one of the sweetest people I know.
- Sending you smiles for every moment of your special day. Have a wonderful time and a very happy birthday!
- Wishing you a day filled with happiness and a year filled with joy. Happy birthday!
- Forget the past; look forward to the future, for the best things are yet to come.
- Here’s wishing you a birthday
That’s happy through and through
For you’re so nice, that’s just the kind
That you’re entitled to!
- Be happy! Today is the day you were brought into this world to be a blessing and inspiration to the people around you! You are a wonderful person! May you have more birthdays to fulfill all of your dreams!
- Your birthday is the first day of another 365-day journey. Be a shining thread in the beautiful tapestry of the world and make this year the best ever. Enjoy the ride.
- Count not the candles, see the lights they give. Count not the years, but the life you live. Wishing you a wonderful time ahead. Happy birthday.
Birthday wishes for her
Below you can find some birthday wishes that you could send to all your girl pals, female relatives or even your girlfriend to bring a smile to their faces. Just pick the message that suits the birthday girl best.
- Sending a bouquet of happiness your way… to wish you a very happy birthday!
- I may not be by your side celebrating your special day with you, but I want you to know that I’m thinking of you and wishing you a wonderful birthday.
- Here’s a smile from me… to wish you a day that brings the same kind of happiness and joy that you bring to me. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to you
Dear friend of mine
I hope you have a day
That is simply divine!
- I wish for all of your wishes to come true. Happy birthday!
Birthday wishes for him
Below you can find some birthday wishes for all your guy mates, male relatives or even your boyfriend.
They are sometimes a little cliché, but they can also result in a laugh or two. Choose the saying that suits the birthday boy best.
- Today is your day, live it like you are king of the world and don’t mind what others say, this day is just for you! Happy birthday.
- Happy birthday to a great guy! You do so much for others. I hope you can take some time for yourself on your big day. You deserve it as much as anyone, and more than most.
- Hope your birthday is just like you… totally freaking awesome!
- I am blessed to have a buddy like you. Happy birthday, dear friend. May your special day be loaded with happiness and love.
- In you, I found
The best moments
And utter bliss.
May that also be true
Of your special day.
Funny birthday wishes
When it comes to using cheeky or funny birthday wishes, you should be careful not to hurt anyone’s feelings and make sure the recipient understands your humor.
After all, the birthday boy or girl should enjoy their day and you probably want to make them laugh instead of making them feel blue.
Phrases that make fun of old age, in particular, are not for sensitive or pessimistic people who struggle with ageing.
- Happy birthday to one of the few people whose birthday I can remember without a Facebook reminder.
- One year older? Don’t take it so hard! Keep up the shenanigans, or you’ll grow up.
- On your birthday, I thought of giving you the cutest gift in the world. But then I realized that is not possible because you yourself are the cutest gift in the world.
- Happy Birthday! You know, you don’t look that old. But then, you don’t look that young, either.
- To quote Shakespeare: "Party thine ass off!"
- Most people will make fun of your age now. But not me! Because I do not make fun of old people.
- At your age, the saying "beauty comes from within" is really gaining momentum. Happy birthday!
- It’s birthday time again, and wow! You’re a whole year older now! So clown around and have some fun to make this birthday your best one. Happy birthday!
- My birthday! "How many years ago?
Twenty or thirty?" Don’t ask me!
"Forty or fifty?" How can I tell?
I do not remember my birth, you see!
But — how old am I? You must tell.
Just as old as I seem to you!
Nor shall I a day older be
While life remaineth and love is true!
(Julia C. R. Dorr)
- Congratulations on being even more experienced. I’m not sure what you learned this year, but every experience transforms us into the people we are today. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday! May your Facebook wall be filled with messages from people you never talk to.
- Cheers on your birthday. One step closer to adult underpants.
- You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime. Happy birthday!
- Don’t worry, gray hair can be dyed! Happy birthday!
- You’re older today than yesterday but younger than tomorrow, happy birthday!
If you want to send some funny birthday wishes, how well you know the birthday boy or girl makes a big difference. Writing a funny quote in a card sent to an acquaintance or your supervisor can quickly backfire.
You’re bound to know close friends or colleagues you regularly laugh or joke with much better, and then it won’t be a problem to send them a funny quote or saying to wish them Happy Birthday. The birthday messages here are suitable for both men and women.
Birthday wishes for kids
Birthday wishes for kids should, first and foremost, be fun. They shouldn’t deal with any issues relating to the seriousness of life or adulthood, but they should pick up on funny things that children can relate to.
Here are a few examples relating to the special qualities or hobbies of children.
- Is there such a thing as being too cute? Not when it comes to you! Happy birthday, cutie!
- Birthday greetings to a very special kid. Happy birthday, you tough cookie.
- What a day to be happy,
And smile the whole way through,
Today is your big birthday,
A special one just for you.
Blow out all your candles,
Make your wishes come true,
Eat slice after slice of cake,
Nothing is too good for you.
- As you blow out your candles, I hope all your wishes come true. Happy birthday!
- Sending you a hundred bazillion kajillion happy wishes for a happy birthday!
- One thousand kisses coming your way,
because we love you so much.
From me you get the biggest kiss,
I’m sorry, but it’s a must!
- X years ago a baby arrived, without stockings, without a shoe, dear X, that was you! Happy Birthday!
- Why fit in, when you were born to stand out? Happy birthday to the one and only unique kid in town.
- You’re growing into the best version of yourself. Keep challenging yourself! Happy birthday, kiddo!
- Enjoy these sweet birthday wishes coming your way. Have an awesome birthday!
Rhymes are particularly good for children as they sound nice to the ear and are easy to remember. Younger children may even enjoy reciting rhymes aloud. Birthday wishes for children should always use simple words and be easy to understand.
Short birthday wishes
Shorter birthday wishes are particularly suitable for gift tags, Facebook, WhatsApp, email and the like.
Especially if the birthday boy or girl usually gets a lot of different well wishes from all kinds of friends and acquaintances, they probably won’t have time to read any long messages.
- Have the best birthday ever!
- Happy birthday to my ride or die. Love you millions!
- Enjoy your special day!
- Our age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying us!
- Happy birthday! Here’s to more life, love and adventures with you!
- Wherever the year ahead takes you, I hope it’s happy.
- Thinking of you on your birthday and wishing you all the happiness in the world.
- Wishing you the biggest slice of happiness today.
- Today is about you. I can’t wait to celebrate you all day long!
- The day is all yours – have fun!
If you’re sending a birthday card, it’s usually nicer to include a longer message after one of these short birthday wishes. Close friends and family, especially, will certainly be very happy to receive more than one short sentence. But short birthday wishes also come in handy for filling in gaps if you don’t know what else to write and still have some space on the card.
And if you don’t know someone that well, a brief phrase in a card will be enough to wish them a Happy Birthday. This is more about the gesture – they won’t be expecting a long message.
Individual birthday wishes
Wish someone Happy Birthday by writing something personal – think about something specific you know about them or their life and write about it in a message.
Below you’ll find some simple birthday wishes and longer birthday messages that are wonderful for filling a card.
We’ve included a variety of phrases relating to different preferences, skills and hobbies, so hopefully you can find one that suits your birthday boy or girl.
- For me, your birthday is not the only time to celebrate you. If I had my way, every day would be a celebration in your honor. Happy birthday!
- Things change but you’ve managed to stay the same all these years. You’re still the same wonderful person you’ve always been. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to an amazing friend. You’re a genuine classic in an average world. May your special day be extraordinary in every way, just like you are.
- Happy birthday. You deserve all the love, joy, inspiration and adventure that you bring to everybody else. Wishing you an epic birthday, as extraordinary as you are.
- Happy birthday! Life is short, and birthdays are even shorter. Blow out your candles and eat as much birthday cake as you want. Seize this special day.
- I know, usually it’s you who’s the teacher. But today I want to teach you something: your birthday is for enjoying, laughing and relaxing. Don’t stress today, I’ll take care of all the mishaps!
- Happy birthday. May the joy, kindness, laughter and wonder that you spread each and every day of your life turn your special day into the birthday celebration of the century.
- I’m afraid I’m not so good with words. Guess you’ll have to give me some advice there, but well, you have today off and we’re here to celebrate your birthday together. Here’s to your eloquence and my presence – cheers and all the best!
- Please don’t think about the office today, it’s your birthday after all.
Oh well, greetings from the office from your work colleague, congratulations and see you Monday!
- My dear,
I know you love shopping more than anything. But you’ll have to take the day off today as your guests have shopped long and hard to (hopefully) bring you some great gifts for your birthday.
We’re happy to be celebrating with you and well, if you have to exchange something, at least you have a reason to go into town again!
Individualized birthday wishes are especially nice for your friends and family and show them that you know them well and have made an effort. It could be particularly cute if you were to draw a small doodle to match your message inside your birthday card.
Heart-warming birthday quotes
Quotes are also suitable for wishing someone a Happy Birthday. They can be little pearls of wisdom about life and ageing. Our quotes include the words of witty writers, philosophers and other famous celebrities.
Quotes can be used as short birthday messages and apply to almost everyone, similar to proverbs. They are usually a bit more on the serious side and are therefore suitable for friends and family, as well as for acquaintances or work colleagues.
- Old age has a great sense of calm and freedom. When the passions have relaxed their hold, you may have escaped, not from one master but from many.
- We turn not older with years, but newer every day.
- Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.
(Titus Maccius Plautus)
- Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.
- With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.
- And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.
- God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.
- Just remember, once you’re over the hill you begin to pick up speed.
- If we could be twice young and twice old we could correct all our mistakes.
- Youth is happy because it has the ability to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
- Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young.
- We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
(George Bernard Shaw)
- Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wings of time.
(Jean Paul Richter)
- When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
It’s always nice to add a few words of your own to your chosen quote – either some personal birthday wishes or perhaps a little explanation. You could write what this quote means to you or how you understand it. Direct references to the birthday boy or girl are also a nice idea.
Top tips for birthday wishes
The easiest way to wish someone Happy Birthday is probably to buy a card with a ready-printed message. However, it is much nicer and more personal to write something of your own inside.
You won’t have the problem that you like the card, but you don’t think the message is right for the recipient, and you can decide for yourself how much you want to write inside.
Write large and you’ll fill up the card with one sentence, or write extra small so you can fit a longer heartfelt message inside – it is entirely up to you.
How do you say Happy Birthday?
There are so many ways to say Happy Birthday. You can send your wishes by mail, email, fax, WhatsApp, Facebook, text message, and all sorts of other means of communication.
You can also express them in a birthday card that you deliver in person, write them on a gift tag or a cake, or you could even frame them and wrap them up as a gift.
The best option to go for depends entirely on the age of the recipient and your relationship with them. While your aunt might be happy to receive a nice WhatsApp message, your boss might be a little confused.
And while you might send your buddy a silly saying to make fun of their age, your grandma might not be happy about receiving something like this at all.
So make sure you always tailor your wishes to the person whose birthday it is, and weigh up how close you are and what your relationship is like.