Short birthday wishes: 70 quick ways of saying happy birthday
We’ve put together some ways of saying happy birthday that are short but extra special nonetheless. Write them in a birthday card or send them in a message.
Short birthday wishes are also ideal for writing on gift tags or engraving on gifts, and work for wishing anyone and everyone you know a happy birthday – men, women, your son or daughter, boyfriend, girlfriend or your acquaintances.
Short birthday wishes: something for everyone
If you want to send a quick message or have limited time to write your wishes, then it’s best to opt for something short and sweet, like when you’re writing out a last-minute birthday card or sending a message via WhatsApp, social media and the like.
Heart-warming short birthday wishes
This section includes some short ways of saying happy birthday that are sure to warm the heart. Your friends and family, and other people you know too, will certainly be very happy to receive a few kind words on their birthday.
- Don’t just count your years, make your years count.
- Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years.
- Look to your future today with a twinkle in your eye and think of all that life still has in store for you. Happy birthday to you!
- Let them eat cake.
- Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wing of time.
- Cherish all your happy moments; they make a fine cushion for old age.
- Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.
- There are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents, and only one for birthday presents, you know.
- It is lovely, when I forget all birthdays, including my own, to find that somebody remembers me.
- A gift, with a kind countenance, is a double present.
Fun, short birthday wishes for men
The following sayings and wishes are especially good for wishing men with a sense of humor a happy birthday. Whether it’s your father, brother or best guy pal, we have the right words for them on their birthday. But remember, always make sure that the saying is a good fit for the birthday boy.
- Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old.
- Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.
- A man growing old becomes a child again.
- Here’s a little pearl of wisdom for you on your birthday: Nutella only contains a few vitamins, so you’ll have to eat plenty of it to get some!
- There’s many a man has more hair than wit.
- At your age, the saying "beauty comes from within" is really starting to mean something. Happy Birthday!
- No wise man ever wished to be younger.
- In every real man, a child is hidden that wants to play.
- Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.
- Fine wine is also old – Happy Birthday.
Fun, short birthday wishes for women
In this section you will find some fun, short ways of saying happy birthday to women with a sense of humor, but only send them if you have the right kind of personal relationship. A cheeky message poking fun at someone would certainly go down better with a good friend or sister than an acquaintance or work colleague.
- Youth is wasted on the young.
(George Bernard Shaw)
- For your birthday, I hope that there is some food left over from today, so that you can enjoy a cozy hangover breakfast in bed tomorrow.
- Today I hope you have a smile on your face, with a well-chilled glass of champagne in one hand and a delicious piece of cake in the other.
- You are an absolute dream woman. Or what do you call someone who’s always tired?
- Once your reputation is ruined… well, you know the rest. So enjoy your birthday, and live carefree and wild.
- A recipe for a happy birthday: 1 new pair of shoes, 1 new dress, 3 bottles of champagne, 1 birthday cake, 20 candles and lots of love on your special day.
- Once you turn 50, you can no longer recognize words up close, but you’ll be able to tell the idiots from a distance!
- Doing exercise improves your self-esteem and makes you look better – champagne does the same. So, cheers and happy birthday!
- Women do not grow old. From a certain age, they only mature.
- As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
Short birthday wishes for your son or daughter
It’s your child’s birthday and you can’t find the right words? No problem. Here we have some lovely sayings and wishes which you can send to your son or daughter, no matter whether they’re young or old.
If your child has already grown up, you could share some pearls of wisdom, a motivational saying or a few loving thoughts with them, whereas fun, short birthday wishes involving rhymes or jokes are more suitable for younger ones.
- Nothing you could ever do could ever keep me from loving you.
- Today we are sending you all our love and protection. We are always here for you and will support you in your dreams and desires – no matter where they take you.
- For your birthday I wish you happiness, love, laughter, good food and a spring in your step.
- Having such a great son like you makes me incredibly happy. Stay the way you are.
- Life is like a canvas, so take the most beautiful colors and paint it as colorfully as you can!
- Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young.
- There is nothing better than watching your daughter grow and blossom. I love you.
- I am incredibly proud of who you have become and wish you every success, strength and much love for the next year of your life.
- One day you will look back and realize that this time of your life is only the first chapter in a wonderful story that is yet to be written.
- Even if we don’t always see eye to eye – you are my child, and that I will never deny.
And so I wish you all the best, for a birthday better than all the rest!
- You alone decide how you walk through life and what you make of it. So far you have proven that you appreciate life and can face the challenges it throws at you. I am very proud of you.
- Even though we don’t see each other that often, I thrive on the moments we have together. You are my pride and joy.
- Many dear birthday kisses for my greatest treasure in the world!
- We are always the same age inside.
- Youth is the best time to be rich, and the best time to be poor.
Very quick ways to say happy birthday on WhatsApp
The following phrases are particularly suitable for wishing people a happy birthday on WhatsApp if you’re short on time.
They are short and snappy, and you can always add a few words of your own to the end if you prefer. Combine them with a GIF or funny photo of the birthday boy or girl and there you have it, a quick-yet-individual birthday message.
- You. Are. Stunning. Period.
- Old age comes on suddenly, and not gradually as is thought.
- What most persons consider as virtue, after the age of 40 is simply a loss of energy.
- We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- I wish you all the best for your birthday celebration today!
- Love and the juice of the vine – enjoy it for a lifetime.
- Happy birthday to you today! Lots of love.
- Thinking of you on your birthday.
- Wishing you a little miracle for your birthday today.
- Try to keep your soul young and quivering right up to old age.
- Today I wish you love, joy, sunshine & happiness.
- Wishing you a terrific birthday and lots of love!
- Celebrate that you are happy every day.
- Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
- Friends are people who think of you on your birthday.
Short personal birthday messages
It can also be nice to wish someone a happy birthday by writing a short, personal message of your own. This can show the recipient that you have put some thought into things.
For inspiration, you could even choose a quote or poem and add some words of your own after it, either in a card or as a message on social media. Below are some ideas you can use as templates.
Age is just a number after all. As long as you stay the way you are, you’ll be forever wonderful. So please stay messy, impatient and always late, because that’s what makes you perfect.
Happy birthday and best wishes for the next year of your life.
I wish for you the stars in the sky, the shining sun, the deep blue sea, the awe-inspiring mountains and the lush green forest. I wish you the world on your birthday, because you deserve it.
Thank you for always being such a good friend! You are a very important person in my life and I wish you peace, love, joy and all the happiness in the world on your birthday.
"What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise."
You have been through a lot in your life and yet it has only made you stronger and wiser. You are a wonderful person and you’re always in my heart.
Love and birthday wishes from
"I’m not interested in age. People who tell me their age are silly. You’re as old as you feel."
(Henri Frederic Amiel)
Keep your zest for life and positive attitude, because they make you unique. Happy birthday!
You’re now one year older on paper, but you’re still a child still at heart. Stay as you are, my dear, and happy birthday!
"May you live all the days of your life."
I wish you all the happiness in the world for your birthday and I hope you have a fantastic day!
I’m starting to lose count of how old you’re getting. But it doesn’t matter, because you still look like you did 10 years ago!
You are now in the prime of your life, beautiful, healthy and full of energy. You’ve also been able to gather some life experience, so that not much can shock you and you know what you’re doing – the perfect mix!
All the best on your birthday.
Happy birthday – I hope you get to enjoy a lot of time with your loved ones, time to rest and to celebrate. It would be great if we could meet again soon. Let me know when you have time and for now, enjoy your birthday!
Top tips for short birthday wishes
When sending a short message to wish someone a happy birthday, make sure it still feels personal. If you only write something small, it can sometimes give the impression that you didn’t put any effort into it and didn’t feel like writing any more.
Keeping things short does have the advantage, however, that the birthday boy or girl doesn’t have to spend lots of time reading long messages on their special day. What’s more, short wishes can often be just as heart-warming and profound as longer ones.
Make your birthday wishes individual
You should make sure that your birthday message relates specifically to the birthday boy or girl and matches their personality. That way, they’ll know that you have thought about what to write.
You could even design a birthday card yourself or attach a photo, emoji or GIF to your WhatsApp message. A birthday video or voicemail where you recite a short birthday message can also be a super nice idea.
Combine a quote with a longer message
A combination of a quote and a longer message is always a good way to wish someone a happy birthday. Simply choose a quote and then find one of our message templates to match. You can also tag one of these standard phrases on the end:
- My very best wishes for you on your birthday.
- I wish you only the best for the next year of your life.
- Sending you my love and all the best for your birthday.
- Happy Birthday – have a great day!
Add your own words
If you have found a heart-warming quote or saying for someone’s birthday, you can also write some of your own words based on the content and how you interpret it. This makes for a birthday message that stands out from the crowd and will stick in the birthday girl or boy’s memory.
Match your birthday wishes to your gift
If you’re giving the lucky birthday boy or girl a gift, you could write them a birthday message on the same theme and show a little extra effort. You could think of a short saying yourself or even buy a gift based on a saying you’ve already found.
For example, there are lots of birthday wishes and sayings associated with alcoholic beverages, so if you’re giving a good bottle of wine as a gift, you could use the following phrase for your card:
- Raise your glasses, it’s a celebration. Let’s get merry and enjoy the occasion.
Below are some good examples you can use if you’re giving the birthday boy or girl a gift voucher, something to eat or an activity you can do together:
- Nobody is as fit as you – you can prove it to us in the climbing gym! Wishing you strength, health and good sportsmanship for the next year of your life.
- Buy yourself something nice with this voucher – steak, pasta, pizza or salad, what will it be? Happy birthday and have fun at the restaurant.