Happy belated birthday: 40 sayings, 5 texts + 5 tips
Many know it: You look at the calendar and suddenly there is already a few days ago a birthday that you have completely forgotten. So that your birthday wishes are still well received after the fact, we have some suggestions for you.
Forgetting birthdays of important people is an unpleasant matter. Most of the time, the day of honor was not even overlooked on purpose. Nevertheless, belated birthday wishes should now be sent promptly afterwards.
Happy belated birthday wishes
Sending belated birthday wishes is not a particularly pleasant affair to begin with. With the right sayings and wishes, you are nevertheless guaranteed to put a smile on the birthday boy’s or girl’s face even belatedly.
Funny belated birthday wishes
Humor makes a lot of things easier, including the awkward situation of having forgotten a birthday. Meet your forgetfulness with a wink and lighten the mood a little.
Here we have some funny belated birthday sayings with which any annoyance about your forgetfulness is sure to be quickly forgotten.
- My dog ate the birthday card, so unfortunately my congratulations come a little later now. Nevertheless, of course, all the best and love belatedly.
- I’m sure you didn’t expect timely birthday greetings from me and you know how I hate to disappoint you.
- I once heard that late birthday greetings bring double luck. Of course, I congratulate only therefore now. But from the bottom of my heart: Happy belated birthday!
- Unfortunately, I was abducted by aliens exactly on your birthday. But I have fortunately made it back to earth and can now finally congratulate you. Happy Birthday!
- It’s not just you, I’m getting old and forgetful too. I’m sorry that I forgot your birthday. But now belatedly happy birthday!
- Late birthday wishes are better than no wishes whatsoever! Just be thankful that I remembered at all! Belated happy birthday to you!
- I’m a little late because I wanted to give you time to get used to your new age. But now I guess I can start congratulating you. Happy belated birthday!
- In some cultures, being late is considered politeness – so I just wanted to be polite, and therefore I’m just congratulating you now. Happy belated birthday!
- I’m sorry for being a goof,
A little behind this year
And letting your birthday
Slip my mind, my dear!
Happy belated birthday!
- I hope you celebrated your birthday the way you came into the world. Naked and screaming. Happy Birthday belatedly!
Short belated birthday greetings
If you just need a short saying for the card or want your belated birthday greeting to be featured on a cake or a funny picture, short birthday wishes are best. Or maybe you just want to add a nice saying to a longer, personal text.
- My congratulations are unfortunately too late … but still from the heart: All the best!
- I sit down then times in the corner and ashamed that I forgot. Happy belated birthday!
- This birthday may come late, but you can celebrate longer. All the best belatedly!
- Now but still quickly a Happy Birthday belatedly for you!
- Actually, beautiful and heartfelt congratulations are good on any day. Therefore, all the best now belatedly!
- Better late than never! I hope you had a nice day. Happy birthday belatedly.
- I just did not want yet that your birthday is already over. Therefore, I congratulate only now. All the best!
- You just do not look older, so I forgot your birthday. All the best belatedly!
- Oops, I overslept. Belatedly happy birthday!
- Wishing you a belated happy birthday, pal! Sorry I missed the big day, but thought I’d extend your birthday a little longer.
Excusing birthday wishes belatedly
If you feel bad about the forgotten birthday, or simply don’t want to keep the situation too funny, you can use an apologetic birthday wish.
With this, you can ask the birthday boy or girl to forgive you for being forgetful in charming rhymes.
My warmest belated congratulations!
I am late – I am unspeakably sorry for that.
Please, please forgive me!
My best wishes go out to you!
I know you must have been waiting all day to see a message from me appear, and I’m sorry that I missed your special day.
But you know what they say, my friend; save the best ‘till last!
Happy birthday to you!
My memory is a sieve,
Nevertheless, I love you.
And so I wish you late,
Still the best and your dreams
to come true!
Happy birthday, my friend. Life is so hectic right now that I may have even forgotten your special day. I hope you are still enjoying it with your family and friends.
Sorry for only getting back to you now. I’m really sorry, I’m horrified myself.
Please still accept my birthday wishes, even if I’m way too late.
I am frustrated that I couldn’t wish you a happy birthday on time, but it was intentional because I wanted to give you a big surprise. I hope you had a wonderful day, happy birthday, my friend.
Even though this birthday wish has come to you a little late, it’s still full of love, my friend. It doesn’t mean I don’t care. Forgive me for the delay, happy belated birthday!
I’m sorry to be late, yes. But all the more heartily I congratulate you, and send you best wishes from here. Have a wonderful year with happiness, success and health.
I hope our next meeting is not far. All the best belatedly!
Please do not be angry with me,
even if I often doze too long.
Your birthday passed me by,
but please don’t get me wrong.
That’s why I keep it short:
Happy belated birthday, old sport!
Hi, I am sorry my friend I forgot your birthday, so please accept this belated birthday wish. Am hoping your birthday was incredible.
Belated birthday wishes for WhatsApp
Sometimes the stress of everyday life just doesn’t allow for anything else and we have to resort to the quick, digital way.
You may also just want to send your belated birthday greeting as quickly as possible, for which WhatsApp is then usually the fastest solution.
- Here comes a belated digital birthday wish! All the best belatedly!
- My cell phone was gone.
For many days – not hours.
That’s the reason why I today,
only ring the birthday bells.
Happy belated birthday!
- I come late to congratulate …
And yet have thought of you!
To lose no more time,
A serenade be offered to you!
- Not only you, but I’m probably getting older and more absent-minded. Sorry that I write only now. All the best belatedly!
- As we are growing older, there are a few things we don’t remember, I am really sorry for forgetting this special day. Belated happy birthday!
- I wonder how I lost track of days. I hope you’ll understand me and the situation I was in. Happy belated days and have a good time for the coming year.
- I am not really late to wish you a happy birthday. I just thought that a special person like you should also celebrate the next day. Have a nice day ahead.
- You look the same every year and I think that’s why I forgot you are getting old. Belated happy birthday.
- It’s true I forgot your birthday but the most precious thing is that I didn’t forget you. The happiest year ahead!
Texts to congratulate after the fact
If you thought that the sayings and congratulations were a bit too short and impersonal so far, here are some sample texts. You can customize them as you like and let them inspire you.
unfortunately I missed your so important day this year. But a forgotten birthday does not mean at the same time that you have forgotten the person.
You are always in my heart, only unfortunately I am a bit forgetful about dates. So I hope you had a wonderful day and wish you all the love and good things belatedly on your special day. I love you!
each of us probably knows the good old everyday stress. Work, family and other little things come in between and already you forget the so important day of a dear person.
I hope you are not too angry with me. On occasion, we’ll go out together soon [to the movies, restaurant …] and I’ll make up for my forgetfulness! Until then, I hope you had a great day. Congratulations belatedly!
I would love to give you a good reason why I didn’t wish you a happy birthday on your birthday. But there isn’t one. I’m just a forgetful jackass and I’m very sorry that I slept through your special day. Therefore, I now wish you all the more all the best and that all your wishes and dreams come true.
I am slower than any snail and more scatterbrained than a forgetful oddball. Shame on me for forgetting your birthday. I hope you don’t hold it against me too much.
To make up for it, I’ll take you out to dinner [alternatively, any other activity, of course]. Then we can spend a nice evening together again. Until then, all the best belatedly!
I could write you a novel now and invent some absurd and funny stories why I forgot your birthday. But my problems and I are not important right now, instead much more you and your day of honor.
I wish you for the new, dawned year of life only the best and that all your dreams come true.
Tips for belated birthday wishes
Birthdays do slip your mind. Still, it’s not a nice situation for either the birthday girl or you. Of course, the more important the birthday boy or girl is to you, the worse it is.
Who likes to forget the birthday of their mother or siblings? In addition to friends, relatives like to take it especially bad when the so important day is simply forgotten.
Everyone can forget a birthday sometimes. It’s far from the end of the world, and that’s exactly why you should be honest when admitting and defending your little faux pas.
You don’t have to make up wild stories about stress with the boss at work or sickness in the family: Stay honest and confess that you simply forgot about the day.
Otherwise, you’ll make it worse should your lies come to light. Everyone forgets things from time to time. It’s annoying, but it happened. No one is mad at you forever because of it.
However, if you make up any stories and the lies are exposed, that’s much more of a reason to be angry.
Avoid long excuses
When you send out belated birthday greetings, don’t forget who it’s about. It’s not about your ever-long life stories, which is why you’re missing important dates, but about belatedly congratulating the birthday boy or girl.
If there was a really important reason, you can of course mention it in one sentence. However, it should not be about arousing as much sympathy as possible with the birthday child. After all, you want to please him with your belated birthday greetings and not beg for attention.
Take belated birthday greetings with humor
Joking about how forgetful you are and that anyone can forget something is generally a good idea. You loosen up the situation, lift the mood and over a few laughs the little grudge against you is quickly gone.
However, this also depends on the person who had the birthday. Is it perhaps really your mother or your partner, or is the person actually very disappointed in you, you should still show remorse and not pull the whole thing too much into the ridiculous or fun.
Don’t wait too long
If you realize that you forgot a birthday, it’s best to catch up on the congratulations as soon as possible.
There’s no set time when it’s too late, but you don’t need to congratulate several weeks, months or even half a year later.
In the case of written congratulations, a few days later is still okay, but they become more awkward every day. However, if you are not that close to the person and happen to meet her in person two or three weeks later, it is still legitimate to offer belated congratulations.
If you’re lucky, she didn’t even expect you to know her birth date and is now even more delighted to still receive your belated birthday wishes.
Customize the card
Especially if you want to take the forgotten birthday with humor, it’s a good idea to spruce up your birthday card a bit. For example, you can draw a slow snail or turtle in it, or a sleepy, cute animal.
If you also want to give something away after the fact and really feel guilty about it, you might want to give a little something extra, like a cake. That way, you’re sure to be forgiven for your little oversight in no time.