Happy birthday sister: 55 wishes + 5 top tips
If you want to make your sister smile on her birthday, here we have some birthday wishes that will do just that. With our phrases and tips, you can make your birthday card really stand out and show that you cherish your sibling bond.
Siblings always have a special relationship. You grew up together and probably had quite a few fights and scraps. Despite all that, siblings share a special bond and love, and you surely want your birthday wishes to make your sister smile.
Special birthday wishes for your sister
Whether you want to tease her a little, make her laugh or move her to tears, we have put together a selection of the most heart-warming, kind and funny birthday wishes for your sister or sister-in-law.
All you have to do is pick the one for you and eternalize it in your card. You can also use one of our messages for wishing your sister happy birthday via WhatsApp and the like.
Kind birthday wishes for your sister
Kind birthday wishes are always appreciated. They express gratitude and affection and will bring a smile to any birthday girl’s face. Especially those close to you, like your family members, deserve only the best on their birthday. This includes kind, beautiful birthday wishes.
- Nothing makes me happier than seeing you smile. Wishing you the best birthday yet!
- You have always been the best sister in the world and you still are. I wouldn’t trade you for anything – you are a wonderful person and I love you very much. Happy birthday!
- Even though we sometimes argue a lot, there is nothing better than the love of a sister. You can always count on me, sis!
- Siblings are the only people who understand each other without talking to each other. I’m glad you know me so well and always understand me. I love you to the moon and back, sis!
- Today we celebrate the person who brings so much joy to our lives. Happy birthday, sister.
- You are my best friend, my soulmate, my inspiration and my partner in crime. Happy Birthday!
- When you blow out your candles and make wishes, I hope that they all come true. Happy birthday, sissy.
- Sisters are like angels who lift us back up when our wings have forgotten how to fly!
- Friendships change, partners too, but siblings stay forever! And so, just like the last few years and those yet to come, I hope you have a wonderful day!
- You are a piece of my childhood that I will keep forever.
Birthday wishes for your little sister
You’ve watched your little sister grow up and seen her look up to you. If you’re a big sibling, you probably know the highs and lows that come with having a little sister.
Even though little ones can be very stressful at times, especially when there’s a big age difference, you probably love them nonetheless.
To brighten up your little sister’s special day, here are some lovely birthday wishes for you to use.
- I may be the older sister, but I’ve learned so much from you. Thank you for being an incredible younger sister. Happy birthday!
- Behind every little sister someone messes with, there’s a big sister you better not mess with. So I will always have your back, little sis.
- When the candles no longer all fit on the cake, then you’ll realize you’re getting old – but you will always be my little sister.
- I still remember the exact day I saw you lying in Mom’s arms for the first time. A little sister was the best gift I could have wished for.
- You are so sweet and adorable. Remember, small failures are stepping stones to success. Never lose your confidence.
- We grew up together and shared everything with each other. On your birthday, let me say that you are the most important woman in my life.
- You’re one of the biggest blessings in my life and I never take it for granted.
- Older siblings: the only people who annoy you, simply because they enjoy it, but will still protect you from anyone who tries to do the same. So don’t worry: no one will ever be able to say anything mean to you – except me. Happy Birthday!
- When you mess with a big sister, there’s always a smaller, crazier little sister behind her that you don’t want to mess with. I’m glad you always have my back, little sis. Love you!
- I smile every day because I get to be your big sister, and I smile because there’s nothing you can do about it. Happy birthday, little sis!
Birthday wishes for your big sister
You look up to your big sister and she has often stood by you with advice from her own experiences.
Even though you may have held – or hold – grudges against her at times, you certainly love her dearly. Show her with the following sisterly sayings, perfect for big sisters.
- You have always been my great role model, my inspiration, my hero. I wish you a happy birthday!
- Some people are proud of their car, others of their house or their job. I am proud of my big sister!
- You are one of my biggest inspirations. Wishing you the happiest birthday!
- I am very happy to have you as my big sister. You made my childhood a paradise.
- You are my protector, my mentor and my role model. I couldn’t imagine a better big sister. Happy Birthday!
- You have saved my butt many times, and for that I am very grateful, my favorite partner in crime!
- How could I forget to congratulate the person who has always been a second mother to me. All the best!
- Luckily I have you, my big sister, as a shield from mom and dad’s anger when I’ve done something wrong.
- Big sister and little brother, it has always been like that and so it will be for the years to come. Happy Birthday!
- I’m so lucky to have a beautiful, kind-hearted sister like you. I hope you have a wonderful birthday.
Funny sisterly birthday wishes
Siblings are often the first people we fool around with, joke with and make laugh.
Perhaps you too like to tease or annoy your sister? If so, then our funny birthday wishes are just what you need.
- Siblings are the only people in your life who will tease you for their own amusement, but will punish anyone else who tries to do the same at your expense.
- I can’t remember if I’m the good sister or the bad sister. Anyway, happy birthday!
- They say the older you get, the wiser you become. Well, I guess at this point you’re one of the wisest people on earth. Happy birthday, sister!
- I knew your party would be lit, but with all these candles we may need to call the fire department! Happy birthday.
- I’m really just here for the cake. Oh yeah, happy birthday!
- The smartest, prettiest and dearest sister in the world … wishes you a happy birthday today!
- The best part about being your sister/brother is having a best friend who is almost as wonderful as me. Happy Birthday!
- I could write countless songs and poems about your grace and elegance, but our parents taught us to always be honest.
- Because it’s your birthday, I guess I’ll let you eat the first slice of cake. Happy birthday, sis!
- You are the person who can make me laugh the most. Just seeing your face is enough to make me do that. Happy birthday, dear sister!
Short birthday wishes for your sister or sister-in-law
Maybe you’ll see her the same day anyway, maybe her birthday card is already full or maybe you’d rather write your wishes on a cake. There are many reasons why short birthday wishes come in handy.
- A sister like you is a gift from heaven and a blessing to the family.
- If I could choose the best sister in the world, I would choose you!
- Who needs a superhero when you have a sister?
- Without you, my childhood would not have been the same. You are the best sister!
- Wishing the best sister in the world a happy birthday.
- I love you to the moon and back. Happy birthday!
- I’m so proud to call you my sister. Happy birthday!
- One year older, but don’t be blue. You’re only getting more mature, more interesting, and smarter too.
- Siblings are meant to laugh, chat and wipe each other’s tears away together.
- Happy birthday to the most wonderful sister in the world!
Heart-warming quotes about family and siblings
For many people, family is a safe haven and parents and siblings are the most important people in their lives.
If you want to tell your sister how important family is to you on her birthday, you can simply use one of the following quotes.
- "Children of the same family, the same blood, with the same first associations and habits, have some means of enjoyment in their power, which no subsequent connections can supply."
- "Brothers and sisters are as close as hands and feet."
- "The greatest gift our parents ever gave us was each other."
- "For there is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather; to cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands."
- "A happy family is but an earlier heaven."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Top tips for saying happy birthday to your beautiful sister
For many, sisters are both best friends and allies. They always have an open ear for us and understand us better than most. To help you put a smile on your sister’s face with your happy birthday wishes, here are a few top tips.
Add a personal touch
Writing a personal message is always a good idea. You probably know your sister and her characteristics and interests very well.
If you refer to these things in your birthday wishes, you can be sure that your words will be unique to her.
You can also personalize her birthday card. Instead of purchasing a card, for example, you could make it yourself or decorate it with your own drawings. Of course, what you do will also depend on your sister’s age and personality.
Talk about the memories you share
There are few people with whom you share as many memories with as your sister. After all, you probably spent your entire childhood together.
If she’s older than you, you’ll have known her since birth. If she was born after you, then you’ll have watched her grow up and can probably tell many a funny anecdote.
Why don’t you bring that into your congratulations, too? Maybe you have some funny or beautiful photos together which you can print out and stick into the card.
You could even write some short captions starting with "Remember when we…" and she’ll surely be very happy about it.
Describe your relationship
Another creative idea is to elaborate on your relationship and make your birthday wishes to her individual and emotional. Tell her what she means to you. Especially if you are particularly close and share a close bond, this is sure to make her day.
If you rarely see each other, perhaps you live far apart or everyday life simply does not allow you to meet regularly, such words are just as important and touching. You can let your sister know that, despite your distance, you are always there for her and she never needs to feel alone.
Cute nicknames are also a loving and sometimes fun way to lighten up your birthday wishes and address your sister personally.
Lots of siblings give each other different nicknames than those given to them by friends or parents. Be it a simple "sis" or "sissy", or even something completely different that only she understands. Maybe you already have a name in mind.
So if you like, you can personalize any of the birthday wishes we’ve listed here and make them perfect for your sister by adding a loving or funny nickname.
Gift ideas for your sister
Strictly speaking, you know your sister best and know what makes her happy. The only thing is that you’ve probably been giving each other gifts for years now and you may have run out of ideas. As a result, some siblings even agree among themselves not to give each other any presents at all.
Since you grew up with her, you of all people should be the one to know what she likes best. So how about her favorite chocolate, favorite wine or a piece of jewelry from her favorite jewelry store?
Other gift ideas that always go down well include going on adventures together, such as short vacations, weekend trips, concerts, or simply spending an evening cooking together.
DIY or photo gifts add a personal touch and show that you have put some effort into your gift, and if you make something yourself, you can also customize it to your sister’s exact taste, using her favorite colors, for example.