Happy 60th birthday: 60 birthday wishes + 6 longer messages for celebrating the big 6-0
There are many good things about a 60th birthday: maybe there are already a few grandchildren running around and that well-deserved retirement is not far away. We have put together some quotes, sayings and messages for you so that your birthday wishes will be something special on this joyous occasion.
60th birthdays often involve big celebrations. And it goes without saying that you should adapt your well wishes to fit both the age of the birthday boy or girl and their individual personality.
60th birthday wishes
Use our phrases and wishes for giving a short birthday speech or toast, write them in a card, on a gift tag or send them on WhatsApp as a voice note, picture, or message.
When choosing a card, make sure it fits the birthday boy or girl and if you’re unsure, just play it safe with a simple one. We have selected an array of interesting phrases and messages for you, so you’re guaranteed to find something you like.
Heart-warming 60th birthday wishes
Turning 60 is a good time to look back on what people have already accomplished in life.
This can also be reflected by passing on some beautiful phrases and quotes to wish the newly-turned 60-year-old a happy birthday, emphasizing the positives they have experienced and their great achievements.
The following phrases are all worded beautifully, so they’re great for using for all the kinds of people you know.
- We are always here to love and support you in everything you want in life. You deserve more great things to happen to you. Happy 60th birthday.
- Sixty years ago, no one knew how much you would enrich the world.
- The future depends on what we do in the present.
- Every decade brings with it new advantages. It is an art to find them out and enjoy them until the next decade.
- Your satisfaction is based on how you view your life. Shine a light on the things that have made you content in life and appreciate the mistakes that have made you who you are now.
- Sixty, that’s not old, nor is it really young, it’s rather something in between, but you still have momentum!
- All the people who have crossed paths with you know how wonderful you are as a person, always thriving to do good and help others in life. May you enjoy a day that is nothing short of perfect. Happy 60th birthday!
- He who thinks to realize when he is older the hopes and desires of youth is always deceiving himself, for every decade of a man’s life possesses its own kind of happiness, its own hopes and prospects.
(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- At 60, you need to let go of the past, seize the moment and look forward to the future. It’s never too late to find happiness in your life. Happy birthday!
- At 60, you’ve stayed young at heart. That’s one of the reasons we love you so much.
- You’ve inspired a lot of people through the years and we could only wish for you to achieve the happiness you so clearly deserve. Happy 60th birthday!
- Sixty is just a number. You are still as stunning and as awesome as you’ve always been. Don’t ever change. We love you the way you are. Happy 60th birthday! Wishing you every success and much love in life.
- Being 60 means remembering the words to every song from the 70s but forgetting why you walked into the next room.
- Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young.
- Turning 60 is a blessing. Hope you get lots more. Happy birthday!
Heart-warming messages for celebrating a 60th birthday should talk about how the birthday boy or girl has made the most out of their life. Encouragement and wishes for the future are appropriate too, because at 60, life is far from over and at the end of the day, it’s an occasion for celebrating.
Here you will find many more birthday wishes.
Short 60th birthday wishes
Short messages can easily be used to fill up space on a birthday card. If you’ve already written something of your own, but the card still looks a bit empty, just add a short birthday wish and the card will look much nicer for it.
But not only can they enhance a birthday card, you can also recite them out loud, send them on WhatsApp or write them on a gift tag.
- Sixty years ago, you saw the light of day. I hope you look back on all that time with a smile.
- Fulfilled life is possible in spite of unfulfilled wishes.
- Be content, and always healthy, carefree at every hour; enjoy the happiness and sunshine granted to you.
- May all your wishes come true because you deserve nothing less than the love you’ve shown us. Happy birthday!
- You made it to 60. Keep going!
- The age is, after all, just a number.
- Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be.
- I hope that the next years of your life will be as fulfilling and happy as the last 60 have been.
- Today after 60 years have passed, we want to tell you at last: we have always admired you very much and hope your life continues for years as such.
- Rules for happiness: something to do, someone to love, something to hope for.
- Learn to let go, that is the key to happiness.
- In youth we learn, in age we understand.
(Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- Forget how long you’ve lived. Look at how much you’ve accomplished and how much life lies before you.
- Like a fine wine or a vintage car, your value only increases with the years.
- Sixty is the golden age for living life.
Wise quotes for celebrating 60
By the age of 60, the birthday boy or girl will probably have gained some life experience and won’t necessarily need any new pearls of wisdom. Nevertheless, a few gracious words won’t go amiss and may help to confirm their outlook on life.
Wise quotes about ageing can also work, but shouldn’t be too negative so as not to jeopardize the good birthday mood.
- To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- Every minute you laugh will extend your life by an hour.
- It’s a privilege to turn sixty. Not everyone is given a chance to do so.
- To live is the rarest thing in the world; most people just exist.
- Moons and years pass by and are gone forever, but a beautiful moment shimmers through life a ray of light.
- Life is like a play; it’s not the length, but the excellence of the acting that matters.
(Lucius Annaeus Seneca)
- Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
- With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.
- The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune.
- As we grow old, the beauty steals inward.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- After a man passes 60, his mischief is mainly in his head.
- A diamond cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.
- One never notices what has been done, one can only see what remains to be done.
- To get back one’s youth, one has merely to repeat one’s follies.
(Lord Henry in The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde)
- Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.
Wise quotes are especially suitable for professional contacts, as they sound chic, maintain a certain distance and don’t come across as too instructive.
Add a few words of your own, taking a quote for inspiration. By writing your own message in addition to the quote, you can also avoid any misunderstandings.
Funny 60th birthday wishes
Funny messages are usually very popular. Used correctly, they’re guaranteed to put the recipient in a good mood, but if you’re not careful, they can spoil the birthday mood.
So make sure you’re close enough to the birthday boy or girl to come up with a funny way of saying happy 60th birthday that they’ll understand.
- With age comes skills, it’s called "multi-tasking". Now you can laugh, cough, sneeze, fart, and pee all at the same time!
- A man of sixty has spent twenty years in bed and over three years in eating.
- The best part of being sixty is that you did all your stupid stuff before the internet.
- Forget age. If you can still manage to blow out your birthday candles, everything is dandy.
- The good thing about having a bad memory is that jokes can be funny more than once.
- Those aren’t grey hairs you see. They’re strands of birthday glitter growing out of your head.
- Congratulations, you’ve finally reached the wonder years… wonder where your car is parked? Wonder where you left your phone? Wonder where your glasses are? Wonder what day it is?
- You know you’re 60 when you have a party and the neighbors don’t even realize.
- You’re not 60, you’re 20 with 40 years of experience.
- Ageing is not for cowards.
(From the U.S.)
- Here’s to a happy 60 years,
And cheers to many more.
Who cares that you are graying?
We love you to the core!
- The secrets to eternal youth are to always be honest, eat slowly and lie about your true age.
- Now the kids are finally old enough to take care of themselves, and you’re young enough to hit the ground running again and live your life to the fullest. Have fun with it. Happy 60th Birthday!
- It is so unfair that you manage to wear
Sixty years in a youthful way!
For your healthy glow and the spring in your step
Take many of those years away!
You age almost not with hardly a spot
I can scarcely believe my eyes
Please share how you manage, if only with me,
How you stay both good-looking and wise.
- You know you’re 60 when someone offers you a seat on the bus. And you don’t refuse.
Set the mood with some funny birthday messages – say one as a toast or write one in a card.
In addition to a funny message, however, you should always write a slightly more serious note in your birthday card to duly honor the occasion. Funny messages are also very suitable for WhatsApp and the like.
More 60th birthday wishes
A 60th birthday is a reason to celebrate: you have experienced a lot, seen a lot and mastered life well. Some are already looking forward to their well-deserved retirement and thinking about what new hobbies or side jobs they might want to do during this time.
Another option is to spend time with grandchildren, sit back, relax and simply enjoy life.
Even though a 60th birthday is a joyous occasion and there is definitely many a reason to celebrate, many are not exactly pleased about entering their sixth decade. For this reason, you should always show sensitivity when wishing someone a happy 60th birthday and make sure you don’t hurt any feelings.
Others can handle their age very well and you could certainly put a smile on their face with a funny message. You can always combine one of our sayings with a classic congratulations. For example:
- I wish you a happy 60th birthday and only the best for the next year of your life.
- Much love, joy and good humor I wish you for your 60th birthday!
- All the love for the 60th birthday!
- I wish you health, happiness and prosperity for the next year of your life.
- Happy 60th Birthday!
- Have a lovely 60th Birthday!
Write or print little cards and distribute them among the guests without the birthday boy or girl noticing. Write a time on them and the phrase you want everyone to recite. This way, all guests can recite a phrase together in unison – a great surprise that certainly no one would expect.
Longer 60th birthday messages
You should always adapt your messages to how well you know the birthday boy or girl and what kind of relationship you have.
For your boss, for example, it is less appropriate to write something funny in their birthday card. Keep it formal and distant.
For relatives and friends, on the other hand, you’ll certainly be more familiar with the kind of things they like. You can also be much more open, warm and relaxed in your choice of words.
We have created some example messages for you to use as a guide. They can also serve as inspiration and if you’re lucky, they could even be an exact fit for the birthday girl or boy you want to congratulate.
Things wouldn’t be the way they are today if things hadn’t been the way they were back then.
You went through a lot with me and still managed your life with flying colors. Our relationship wouldn’t be as strong today if we hadn’t gone through such difficult times back then. You always supported me, were patient, thought of your fellow humans and inspired others with your radiant character.
Congratulations on your 60th birthday, and by the way, you don’t look old at all. You’re a great mom and can be proud of yourself – I certainly am.
Birthday wishes for Dad
Things really start to happen when you turn 60: worries are small, children are big. So celebrate this day, I hope it brings you only good things!
Soon you will be approaching your well-deserved retirement, which you have truly earned. I am happy for you and congratulate you on your 60th birthday. You’re doing great!
I love you.
Happy birthday to your brother or sister
I wish you a very happy 60th birthday and want to tell you how much you mean to me on this important occasion.
Even though we don’t see each other often, I will always be able to draw on our childhood experiences together, which were made much more beautiful because of you. Even when we had our differences, you were always there. Just knowing that gave me courage and I am just thankful that you’re here.
Today is your special day and I wish you only the best for the years to come. Know that I will always love you
Happy 60th birthday to a friend
"What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise." (Oscar Wilde)
Believe me, you will come to know the benefits of your birthday today (yes, I know, I won’t say the number). Enjoy this time and look back on all you have accomplished and overcome so far. I’m glad to know you’re by my side and congratulations.
Birthday wishes to an acquaintance
They say people quickly forget each other when they don’t see each other for a while. But I think you only forget those you don’t have in your heart.
I wish you all the best on your 60th birthday. I am happy to be with you today and will always carry you in my heart.
Birthday wishes to your boss or a colleague
Consider your relationship with your boss or colleague when thinking about how to address them in their card. A good option is also to write a birthday card together with all your other colleagues and present it together.
Not only does this save everyone the trouble of writing out their own card, but it’s also much nicer and more impressive to have all colleagues or co-workers give their congratulations together, and you can capture that abundance and energy all in one card.
"One never notices what has been done, one can only see what remains to be done." (Marie Curie)
We are proud of all you have accomplished and thankful for the work we have done together. We sincerely congratulate you on your 60th birthday and look forward to your last years with us.