95 Compliments for Men and Women + 6 Tips
You can make others happy by giving them some personal and endearing compliments. Whether it’s for your friends, family, colleagues, or the love of your life – everyone is glad to receive a sincere compliment. We’ll tell you what to look out for and which compliments are best suited for whom.
When it comes to compliments, it is often difficult to find the right words. After all, the recipient should know your intentions without getting the wrong impression.
The Best Compliments for Every Occasion
In this section, you will find different compliments that are sincere and serious.
You can give them to someone spontaneously in everyday life or wait for a special occasion. We compiled examples for you according to different themes and occasions.
All of the following lines and compliments are freely written and don’t have an author.
Beautiful Compliments for Women and Girls
Compliments are great icebreakers. So, if you want to strike up a conversation with a woman and even flirt with her, it helps to start it with a compliment. However, it is often difficult to find a suitable compliment for a woman and to wait for the right moment to deliver it.
Therefore, it is best to start the conversation when you are alone. If the woman is unsure how to respond to your compliment, you can also end it with a question to change the subject and get her to talk about something else. Some of the following compliments are more suitable for flirting, while others are great for telling your girlfriend.
Compliments for Every Day
You can use these lines in everyday conversations.
- "Your smile is adorable. What makes you so happy?"
- "You look stunning in that dress."
- "Being around you is like a happy little vacation."
- "Hanging out with you is always fun."
- "You’re more fun than a ball pit filled with candy."
- "Your hair is really beautiful."
- "You’re an awesome friend."
Complimenting Her Personality
These compliments are more suitable if you want to show you appreciate someone’s personality.
- "You’ve got an awesome sense of humor!"
- "You make me a better man."
- "I really love how you can motivate others."
- "You always know just what to say."
- "You seem to really know who you are."
- "Your kindness is a balm to all who encounter it."
- "You’re like a ray of sunshine on a really dreary day."
- "You’re even more beautiful on the inside than you are on the outside."
Compliments for Men, Guys, and Boys
Men receive compliments less often than women, so they will be sure to appreciate a kind word from time to time.
In addition, men are often complimented for their material goods, such driving a nice car or owning a fancy house. Therefore, when complimenting a man, you should emphasize his actions, achievements, and personality.
Even in a longterm relationship, a compliment can mean a lot to a man. Even though the superlative might seem insincere, men like to hear that they are the greatest.
Compliments for Every Day
You can use these compliments for any occasion to put a smile on someone’s face.
- "You make the best coffee in the world."
- "You can really fix anything."
- "You’re more helpful than you realize."
- "Actions speak louder than words, and yours tell an incredible story."
- "Any team would be lucky to have you on it."
- "You’re great at figuring stuff out."
- "You look really hot today."
Complimenting his Personality
If you really like someone’s personality, you can use the following compliments.
- "I can fully trust you."
- "You just make me feel good."
- "You are my greatest happiness."
- "You’re a really good listener."
- "That thing you don’t like about yourself is what makes you really interesting."
- "Your perspective is refreshing."
- "You’re so thoughtful."
- "You’re always learning new things and trying to better yourself. That’s awesome."
Sweet Compliments in a Relationship
At the beginning of a relationship lovers often compliment each other constantly. You can make your affections clear and put your emotions into words. This doesn’t just strengthen the other person’s self-esteem, but your love for him or her as well.
Instead of highlighting certain qualities of the other person, you can also express your gratitude for her or him. This way, you’re not just complimenting your partner’s character and appearance, but also their actions and personality as a whole.
- "You are the best thing that could have happened to me."
- "With you by my side, I’m just happy."
- "I feel heard and seen when we have difficult conversations."
- "You are perfect just the way you are."
- "I absolutely love that shirt. It really brings out the color of your eyes."
Nice Compliments at Work
Compliments can also have a motivating effect on employees at work. According to the management consulting company McKinsey, non-financial factors have a particularly strong impact on employee performance.
At the top of the list are compliments from management. In contrast to compliments and praise, financial incentives play a much smaller role.
- "I enjoy hearing your comments and questions at meetings. It really pushes us to think deeper about the project."
- "You’ve got such an amazing work ethic."
- "Hey, that was kind of a tough crowd today. I’m impressed with how you handled everything."
- "Without you, we would not be where we are today."
- "Thank you for always caring so much about your colleagues."
- "I’m amazed by how well you do this job. It’s so inspiring."
- "Your skills made this project come together."
- "The ideas you bring to the table are so valuable."
- "The way you approached this project added so much to it. It’s great to see how your unique perspective contributed to the outcome."
- "I would ask to work with you on every project if I could!"
However compliments in the workplace can quickly go wrong. This includes, for example, clichéd sayings about someone’s appearance that may give the wrong impression. Therefore, try to remain objective and emphasize professional skills and performance.
Stereotypes can also come into play when tasks are distributed, for example that women are limited to their diligence and organizational skills and men are said to be assertive and capable of leadership.
Compliments for Kids
When it comes to parenting compliments should be considered carefully. On one hand, it is important to compliment a child’s performance so that he or she remains motivated; on the other hand, too much praise can lead to arrogance.
Parents should be careful not to praise children without reason, as this is how children begin to overestimate their achievements.
For example, if your child plays a competitive sport, you should compliment an average performance without praising it excessively. Otherwise, your child may lose touch with reality and could develop an unhealthy self-image.
- "I feel inspired by your uniqueness."
- "Great job putting all your toys away. Thank you!"
- "Every time I see you, I’m thankful that I’m your mom/dad."
- "I hadn’t thought of it that way. You’ve given me something new to think about today."
- "I notice how hard you’re trying!"
- "You bring light to a cloudy day."
- "You have a great way of looking at things."
- "Thank you for helping me with this challenging task. I knew you could do it."
- "My favorite thing about you is your contagious smile."
- "You have a big heart."
Nice Compliments for Strangers
Why don’t you tell a stranger that you think something about them is great, such as their hairstyle, clothes, or behavior? In most cases, even strangers are happy to receive a serious compliment.
The recipient can be sure of your sincerity. After all, there is no great benefit to complimenting a random stranger. Besides, giving compliments doesn’t just make the recipient’s day better, but also makes you happy.
- "Beautiful shoes!"
- "Thank you for waiting."
- "Your laugh is infectious. It made me smile instantly."
- "I really love your outfit!"
- "You attitude is really great."
Compliments in Spanish
There are many people that speak Spanish. If you want to impress a person with a few words in Spanish, here are some compliments for you with their translation.
- "Estás muy bonita hoy."
"You are very pretty today."
- "Te ves muy guapo hoy."
"You look handsome today."
- "Lo has hecho muy bien."
"You did very well."
- "La manera en que has solucionado el problema fue genial."
"The way you approached the issue was amazing."
- "Haces que quiera ser una mejor persona."
"You make me want to be a better person."
The following compliments are suitable for your friends and family. They are funny and are sure to make you and those around you smile.
- "Besides food, you are my favorite thing."
- "If someone based an internet meme on you, it would probably be used to make people laugh out loud."
- "You know what? I just don’t know what it is about you! You’re so irritating yet likable at the same time!"
- "You are like mathematics. Difficult at times, but worth knowing."
- "We all have those days where it’s like, 'Yeah, I’m not getting anything done today.' And on those days, I know I can trust you to join me in accomplishing nothing."
- "I’m so comfortable with you that I consider you the human form of sweatpants."
- "You’re like an untrained puppy. I always like to take you out."
- "You know what’s awesome? Chocolate cake! And oh, your face as well."
A backhanded compliment can be understood as a compliment, but also as an insult. For example, if you tell someone that he or she has improved, that also implies that you may have previously thought the recipient was underperforming.
But sometimes compliments might come off as a slight, which shouldn’t be our intention.
So be careful and think before you compliment someone. It always depends on what kind of relationship you and the other person enjoy.
- "You’re so articulate!"
- "I didn’t expect that you would get the job. Congratulations!"
- "I love how you don’t care about what others think of you."
- "I wish I was as relaxed as you with all the chaos in this room."
- "I love that you just wear what you want."
- "You look so professional with your hair straight."
- "You are coping with this so much better than I thought you would."
Gender Neutral Compliments
Gender-neutral compliments are appropriate for all people. You can say or send them to anyone and you don’t have to worry about gender.
- "You have the best ideas."
- "You help me be the best version of myself."
- "When I’m down you always say something encouraging to help me feel better."
- "Jokes are funnier when you tell them."
- "That color is perfect on you."
- "How is it that you always look great, even in sweatpants?"
- "The people who raised you deserve a medal for a job well done."
- "A smile from you is more than enough to make my day."
- "Is there anything you can’t do?"
- "Your smile is proof that the best things in life are free."
Great and Unique Compliments
Classic compliments are always a great way to express your appreciation. But if you’ve known someone you would like to compliment for a while, you can always get a little more creative with one of these unique compliments.
- "You may dance like no one’s watching, but everyone’s watching because you’re an amazing dancer!"
- "I’d rather do something boring with you than pop an unlimited supply of bubble wrap."
- "You’re more fun than a ball pit big enough for adults."
- "Your level of general awesomeness is getting a little out of control."
- "The world is so lucky that you exist right now."
Giving and Receiving Compliments
Emphasizing what you appreciate about a person is the most important basis for a compliment. However, it also depends on how you say it. Otherwise, the person might get offended because they can misinterpret your statement or take it as disrespectful.
Therefore, it is important to give some thought to the right compliment in advance. You can compliment someone about his or her appearance, but you can also praise someone’s character.
Mostly, it is a way to express your sympathy for another person in a polite manner. But some might dismiss it as flattery and fawning. So, why do so many people have a hard time giving and accepting compliments?
Why you have a hard time accepting compliments:
- You don’t understand a compliment as one.
- You have a hard time believing compliments.
- You are afraid of being manipulated by compliments.
- You don’t want to be the center of attention.
Why you find it hard to give compliments:
- You think the recipient might be self-absorbed or narcissistic.
- You have a hard time finding the appropriate words.
- You’re afraid your compliments will make you seem sexist.
- You are envious.
However, a sincere compliment will often be well received and will brighten the mood of the person being complimented. When you are praised, it has a strong effect on your well-being. This is because the body releases certain chemicals after receiving praise. These chemicals are also known as opioids.
Since the body wants to experience the same rush and receive more compliments it motivates you to work harder. The effect of a compliment can even be compared to the effect of synthetic drugs.
However, too many compliments can also be harmful, as you might develop an addiction to positive recognition. Also, if you constantly receive praise for a particular skill, the intoxicating effect will wear off over time.
Tips for Giving a Nice Compliment
Below we have some tips on how you can give a nice and sincere compliment without being misunderstood. Following that, you’ll find a few examples of great compliments that can serve as inspiration for your own words.
An honest and sincere compliment will probably go over best. So look for something about the person that you really like and maybe even admire.
If you’re sincere about your compliment, you won’t have to work as hard to make it come across as such and you’ll be authentic. You can usually tell if someone is being insincere, especially through body language, for example, if someone is avoiding eye contact.
Respect is a very important factor when you’re giving compliments. This is especially true for compliments for the opposite sex. If you slip into clichés with your compliment, it can quickly be misconstrued and you may achieve the opposite results of your original intentions.
Compliments between colleagues can also quickly be taken the wrong way. For example, if your complimenting someone for completing an obviously easy task, the recipient may feel they are being mocked.
Choose the Right Timing
Often times a compliment works best in the proper context. That’s why you should pay attention to the right timing. The circumstances, the people that are present, and the nature of the compliment also play a significant role in the impact of the compliment.
A personal comment shouldn’t be given in the presence of loud strangers. The location affects how your compliment will be received. For a romantic compliment, you could also visit a romantic place or go on a date. In everyday life, however, there are usually plenty of opportunities to hand out compliments.
Keep it Simple
Your compliment should not seem forced, because then it will not be as authentic. Try to form your compliment in the moment. Previously prepared compliments seem fake and often do not fit the situation.
Put Meaning into Your Compliment
Try to avoid platitudes and tailor the compliment to a specific situation. Can you give reasons for your compliment? If you want to praise someone for their helpfulness, you can give an example in which you were particularly impressed by the recipient’s behavior. This will also make your compliment seem a lot more credible.
Emphasize the emotional level in your compliment. If you think your counterpart is wearing a nice jacket, don’t just say "Nice jacket!" but emphasize his or her good taste. Attention to detail in your observation will be well received and will highlight your actual concern with them.
For example, if your friend eats chocolate every day, bring him a chocolate bar. Also a compliment to an endearing feature, such as dimples, will usually go over well.
Do Not Use Clichés
Clichés are an absolute no-go as far as compliments are concerned. This is especially true with regard to the opposite sex. This happens especially when the woman is reduced to her feminine attributes and the man is portrayed as the protector.
However, stereotypes can also play a role in other things, for example in the case of professional groups and work projects. Women in management positions especially, have to deal with prejudices. So you should avoid stereotypes in your compliments.
When phrasing your compliment, you should be careful that it cannot be interpreted ambiguously. Otherwise a compliment might be understood as a disguised insult and criticism.
However, it is usually not possible to avoid all ambiguity. So, much depends on your body language and the social cues you give when complimenting someone, as well as how the recipient interprets your words.
Your compliment should never be exaggerated, so as to remain credible. While your peers often accept compliments that are not to be taken so seriously, a sincere compliment sounds a lot better.
So try to avoid exaggeration and focus on personalizing your compliment for the recipient.