105 Family Quotes in 9 Categories
In this article we have collected funny, beautiful and cute family quotes for you. Make the most important people in your life happy and surprise them with a great saying about family or get inspired by our inspirational quotes.
There are numerous occasions when you might send or use beautiful quotes about family. If you love your relatives and feel blessed to have a loving family, you should tell them how you feel. But even if you are disappointed in your family, we have some appropriate quotes for you.
Quotes about Family for Every Occasion
There are a variety of sayings about family and they all have one goal: to prove to your family how much you love them.
Below you will find some different categories of sayings about family. We have beautiful quotes about families, sayings about blended families, funny quotes, Bible quotes and also sayings about toxic families.
Beautiful Family Quotes
Here you will find beautiful sayings about the family that you can use safely and on any occasion. They are ideal if you are proud of your family.
The sayings make general statements about how important family is. This kind of statement will please all of your family members, whether close or distant relatives.
All of the following quotes have an unknown author.
- "Family: where life begins and love never ends."
- "Home is where love resides, where memories are born, friends are always welcome and a smile is always waiting for you."
- "Never live without laughing. For there are people who live on your laughter."
- "Family means never being alone again for the rest of your life."
- "Family means being a part of something wonderful and unique."
- "A mother’s love knows no bounds."
- "My family catches me when I fall."
- "L’unione fa la forza."
(Unity makes strong.)
- "In a family you do not have to prove yourself to be loved. They love you as you are, with all your facets."
- "Families are like branches on a tree. We grow in different directions yet our roots remain as one."
- "Family: we may not have everything we want. But together, we are everything we need."
- "The greatest gift of all is family."
- "Family is the heart of a home."
- "Even if you leave, you will always be a part of your family."
- "Everyone has a family, but having you guys as family makes me overjoyed."
Many people even get sayings about family tattooed to prove their love. Even funny quotes secretly reveal how important family is.
You can write them in a card to complement your own small text, set them as a WhatsApp status, send them as a message or even write them in a gift tag.
Short Quotes about Family
There are also nice short sayings about family that you can send on WhatsApp or post as a status. They are also suitable for small gift tags. These short sayings get to the heart of what a family is all about in just a few words.
- "The family is one of nature’s masterpieces."
(George Santayana, Spanish-American philosopher, 1863-1952)
- "Family ties mean that no matter how much you might want to run from your family, you can’t."
- "In time of test, family is best."
- "Family gives you the roots to stand tall and strong."
- "The family is the trunk, the children the flowers."
You’ll find more short quotes about different topics in this article.
Cute Quotes about Family Love
These quotes about family love are often beautiful and wise. They are universal and highlight the importance or beautiful aspects of a family.
They also sometimes act as good advice or wisdom that has been passed on over time. If you feel blessed to have your family and they mean everything to you, you will enjoy the following quotes.
- "In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony."
(Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher, 1844-1900)
- "Having somewhere to go is home. Having someone to love is family. And having both is a blessing."
- "A happy family is but an earlier heaven."
(George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright, 1856-1950)
- "Siblings are never alone. They always carry the other in their heart."
- "Siblings are there for each other.
Arguing and forgiving, giving and taking,
helping, comforting, laughing and crying.
They stick together.
Side by side."
- "Friendships change. Lovers too. Family remains forever!"
- "Be the kind of person you needed when you were younger."
- "All families are different and unique, but they all have one thing in common – love."
- "Siblings are the only people about whom you are non-stop upset, but whom you still love infinitely."
- "Your family is a circle of love strength and love, with every birth and every union, the circle will grow. Every joy shared adds more love, every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger."
Family quotes are especially good as a side text to fill a card. You can also use them as inspiration and address the quote in the text you write yourself.
Our family quotes are also suitable as a token of love for birthdays or important occasions in life, when you want to tell your parents, sister or brother how much you love them.
It is not always easy for siblings to show that you love each other. Pride gets in the way of showing love, especially when there are often disagreements.
Sayings about family can help you overcome your pride and put a smile on your brother or sister’s face.
Funny Quotes about Family
In this chapter you will find funny sayings about family. However, they are suitable only for people you know well. Otherwise, you might offend someone or even hurt their feelings.
The following sayings can be sent on all kinds of occasions, and you’re bound to find something fun.
- "Families are like fudge – mostly sweet with a few nuts."
- "Family ties mean that no matter how much you might want to run from your family, you can’t." (Unknown)
- "If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance."
(George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright, 1856-1950)
- "Teach your kids to spend more time annoying each other so they have less time to spend annoying you."
- "When I tell my kids I’ll do something in a minute, what I’m really saying is, 'Please forget.'"
- "What strange creatures brothers are!"
(Jane Austen, English novelist, 1775-1817)
- "It was nice growing up with someone like you – someone to lean on, someone to count on… someone to tell on!"
- "Older siblings: the only people who will pick on you for their own entertainment and beat up anyone else who tries."
- "Respect your parents. These guys pay for your internet."
- "Grandmas don’t just say "that’s nice" – they reel back and roll their eyes and throw up their hands and smile. You get your money’s worth out of grandmas."
You can find more funny sayings on a variety of topics here.
Blended Family Quotes
Many blended families are happier than some families that share the same DNA.
A family doesn’t always have to be connected biologically, but can also be connected emotionally. If your blended family is characterized by cohesion, mutual support and love, then these quotes are for you.
- "Blended families: woven together by choice, strengthened together by love, tested by everything, and each uniquely ours."
- "I didn’t give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you."
- "Our family is a circle of strength of love with every birth and every union the circle grows."
- "Family isn’t always blood. It’s the people in your life who want you in theirs; the ones who accept you for who you are. The ones that would do anything to see you smile and who love you no matter what."
- "Bright families are just like bright colors: When you blend two, you get something beautiful!"
- "Family is not defined by our genes, it is built and maintained through love."
- "Blood makes you related; love makes you family."
- "All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy, for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves. We must die to one life before we can enter into another."
(Anatole France, French poet, 1844-1924)
- "Life feels complete when you’re together with your family."
- "Family is family, whether it’s the one you start out with the one you end up with, or the family you gain along the way."
- "Some families are created in different ways but are still in every way a family."
- "We aren’t 'step,' we aren’t 'half,' we’re just family."
- "The last names may not match, but the hearts certainly do."
- "Alone, you are strong, but together, you’ll be stronger than ever."
- "Blood doesn’t always make a parent; being a parent comes from the heart."
Toxic Family Quotes
Sometimes, a family doesn’t always only have advantages – there can also be downsides. Some families get along wonderfully, while others have more problems.
It’s normal to be disappointed in your family when you encounter a lack of understanding or support. Let it out with one of our sayings to ponder.
If you feel you can’t rely on your family, or your relationship with them is somehow toxic, you may find your thoughts reflected in our quotes.
If your family does not support you in your journey or you think the family construct is fake, you might feel lonely and not welcome. In this case it may actually be best to distance yourself from your family.
The following quotes are from unknown authors.
- "Just because someone gives you life doesn’t mean they will love you the right way."
- "Things only get better when you cut off the worst."
- "Toxic parents care more about how you make them look than how you actually feel."
- "Without communication, there is no relationship.
Without respect, there is no love.
Without trust, there is no reason to continue."
- "Biology shouldn’t be destiny."
- "Sometimes you need to give up on people, not because you don’t care, but because they don’t."
- "How to tell if someone is not good for you?
You being yourself feels like a betrayal."
- "If your family doesn’t treat you the right way, make sure you do."
- "Words don’t cover up actions."
- "The only way to win in a toxic relationship is to leave."
- "'Because I love you' is not the reason for manipulation or abuse."
- "Your heart knows when you have given too many chances."
- "Some people play victims of crimes they committed."
- "Ask yourself, 'will you do this to your family?' If not, why let them do this to you?"
- "Love yourself enough to walk away from lies and dramas."
Inspirational Family Quotes
The following quotes can inspire you to think about your family. If you are one of those who consider family time to be quality time, you will surely see yourself in one of these quotes.
- "The family is the test of freedom; because the family is the only thing that the free man makes for himself and by himself."
(Gilbert K. Chesterton, English writer, 1874-1936)
- "You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth."
(Khalil Gibran, Lebanese poet, 1883-1931)
- "For there is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather; To cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands."
(Christina Rossetti, British poet, 1830-1894)
- "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
(Leo Tolstoy, Russian writer, 1828-1910)
- "Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten."
(George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright, 1856-1950)
- "Children can never have too many positive adult role models in their lives."
- "The recipe for a unified family: 3 cups love, 1 cup empathy, 1/4 cup patience, and 1 tablespoon teamwork."
- "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success."
(Henry Ford, American industrialist, 1863-1947)
- "Together, we make a beautiful family."
- "Being happy in your family is more important than being perfect."
Friends are Family Quotes
Sometimes friends are more than friends to us. They replace our family and are there for us.
Therefore, it is colloquially said that friends are the family that you choose for yourself.
- "A sympathetic friend can be quite as dear as a brother."
(Homer, Greek poet, c. 8th century BC)
- "A man’s friendships are one of the best measures of his worth."
(Charles Darwin, English naturalist, 1809-1882)
- "There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship."
(Thomas Aquinas, Italian theologian, 1225-1274)
- "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
(Marcel Proust, French author, 1871-1922)
- "In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed."
(Khalil Gibran, Lebanese poet, 1883-1931)
- "One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood."
(Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman statesman, 5 BC-65 AD)
- "One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives."
(Euripides, Greek poet, 480 BC-406 BC)
- "Friends are the siblings God never gave us."
(Mencius, Chinese philosopher, 372 BC-289 BC)
- "I have learned that to be with those I like is enough."
(Walt Whitman, American poet, 1819-1892)
- "Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief."
(Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman statesman, 106 BC-43 BC)
Bible Quotes about Family
Children are a wonderful thing, but parenting can sometimes be a real challenge. That’s why it’s helpful to keep reminding yourself how happy you are with nice quotes about family and children.
All the following Bible quotes are taken from the English Standard Version (ESV).
- "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you."
- "Can a woman forget her nursing child,
that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget,
yet I will not forget you.
Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are continually before me."
- "A friend loves at all times,
and a brother is born for adversity."
- "Grandchildren are the crown of the aged,
and the glory of children is their fathers."
- "My son, if your heart is wise,
my heart too will be glad."
- "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."
(1 Timothy 5:8)
- "The Lord our God be with us, as he was with our fathers. May he not leave us or forsake us."
(1 Kings 8:57)
- "Behold, how good and pleasant it is
when brothers dwell in unity!"
- "If anyone says, 'I love God', and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen."
(1 John 4:20)
- "My son, keep your father’s commandment,
and forsake not your mother’s teaching."
Sayings about family from the Bible are particularly suitable for births, baptisms, or even graduations. They address family in a religious way and highlight how important families are for our well-being and our whole world.
Christmas Quotes about Family
People especially like to be with their family at Christmas. There is a family meal, gifts are exchanged and unwrapped, and everyone is happy at this contemplative time.
- "I love being at home for Christmas. My family is there and we’re all happy for some days."
- "Remembrance, like a candle, burns brightest at Christmastime."
(Charles Dickens, English novelist, 1812-1870)
- "I love my family. Especially when we sit together at Christmas and share our memories."
- "A family is a gift that lasts a lifetime."
- "Christmas presents are nice, but being with family is the best gift of all."
If you are looking for more Christmas quotes, check out this article.
Occasions for Family Quotes
Your parents in particular have given you a lot of love in your life, and it’s nice to appreciate them for the care and security they’ve given you.
Family quotes won’t just make your parents or siblings happy; they will also please your grandparents, cousins, aunts or uncles.
We’ve put together a list of a few occasions when you might have the opportunity to please a family member and show gratitude.
- Birth or Baptism of a new family member
- Birthday of a family member
- Wedding of a family member
- Mother’s Day
- Father’s Day
- Communion, Confirmation, Youth Consecration
- Spontaneous token of love via WhatsApp
- Family quotes as tattoos
- New Year
- Grandma Quotes. Beautiful and funny sayings for grandmothers.
- Sister Quotes. Sayings and tips for sending them.
- Aphorisms. Many quotes for every occasion.
- Single Quotes. Nice quotes on being Single for every occasion.