The Absolutely True Story of the Design of the New Macbook (video)

The Absolutely True Story of the Design of the New Macbook (video) humor When the new Macbook was announced earlier this week, many pundits were amazed that Apple had chosen such an extreme design.  The new Macbook has but a single USB-C port for power and all of its accessories. It was implied that this was a necessary step to get the weight down to 2 pounds and to make the laptop only half an inch thick, but a newly leaked video reveals that this isn't necessary the case.

Daring Fireball found a video in which an Apple engineer explains exactly why the new Macbook has just the one port:

That makes so much sense, if you ask me.

P.S. Does anyone know where this video originally came from?

1. Brian S12 March, 2015

Hope that Level 5 paygrade come with a good dental plan.

2. Peter Winkler12 March, 2015

Gawd, that’s stupid. Stupid and unfunny.

1. Nate Hoffelder12 March, 2015

I don’t think it’s any worse than the Hitler Downfall meme.

3. Rob Siders12 March, 2015

I think it’s pretty funny.

Would two ports have been so wrong?

4. Rebecca Allen12 March, 2015

Sez: “Of course, it’s the titles that make it funny. The man is a Spanish comedian called El Risitas. He’s actually talking about a restaurant experience on a beach in Chipiona in the south of Spain (and variously captioned versions of the clip have become an Internet meme).

But this re-creation by Armando Ferreira somehow brings a little manic levity to the deep seriousness of an Apple product launch. It was posted yesterday and has already been enjoyed by more than 700,000 people on YouTube.”

1. Nate Hoffelder12 March, 2015

Thanks.

I got the feeling he was a pro, for certain meanings of the word.

5. Name (required)12 March, 2015

I had to go and check that camera specs.
    And you know what? It really comes with 480p camera. The joker that wrote the fake [and hilarious] subtitles isn’t pulling out collective leg.

And when you buy that $79 adaptor you get 1 [one] hdmi port, 1 [one] “see-through” USB-C connector for charger {and I want to believe daisy-chain} connection and 1 [ONE!] USB port.

You can’t even connect Apple SuperDrive for access and burning of CDs or DVSs without a special adapter – doubling the price of the accessory.

1. Nate Hoffelder12 March, 2015

It’s a VGA camera? Seriously? Hahahahaha

1. Name (required)13 March, 2015

Says so in the “Absolutely true story of the design of the new Macbook” so it HAS to be true. Doesn’t it?
        I had to check, anyway 😉

2. Rob Siders12 March, 2015

This sort of stuff isn’t new to Apple. The $2800 iMac 27-inch with the 5k monitor upgraded to the i7-4770k processor doesn’t have adequate cooling to get the 4GHz (let alone the 4.4Ghz turbo boost) clock speed it advertises, so Apple throttles it by as much as 15 percent. So, yes, the display is awesome. And the design is beautiful. And, boy, it sure is quiet. But, by design, it’s less than it could be—and difficult to upgrade—especially considering it’s being sold to digital content creators who’d benefit from the processing power.

6. Ana12 March, 2015

As Rebeca Allen says, this is a popular Spanish freak known as El Risitas. There are a lot of Spanish videos with this person and the interviewer, in older videos he was with his brother in law, a.k.a El Cuñao (brother in law in grammatically incorrect Spanish), but El Cuñao died some years ago.
    It’s very difficult to understand anything he says, even to Spanish people, so yes, there are a lot of video memes with subtitles or just putting scenes with this man laughing into another videos.

1. Nate Hoffelder12 March, 2015

Is it this guy?

I’m surprised that it only just now came across my desk. It’s a funny meme.

7. Tymber Dalton13 March, 2015

For the source, the video on YouTube says: Original Source: Risitas y las paelleras: https://youtu.be/cDphUib5iG4

Once you get past the annoying screech of his laughter it’s scary that it’s how they decided to make the design. I guess I won’t be upgrading anytime soon (not that it’s in the budget right now anyway). I’ve got a MacBook Air from 2013 that’s serving me well and still going strong. (And isn’t a Windows 8 box, which is why I switched to Mac in the first place.)

8. Karl13 March, 2015

There aren’t many cases where I’d say this, and it’s all about context, but I like Hitler better than this guy.

1. Nate Hoffelder13 March, 2015

I’m waiting for a downfall rant about the new Macbook. It’s going to be awesome.