European publishers have long been dabbling in offering free ebooks to passengers on trains and buses and now HarperCollins is getting into the mix. The publisher announced this morning that it would be participating in JetBlue’s Fly-Fi Hub service, which launched this morning. Continue reading
PublishNews Brazil posted a report that Amazon is negotiating with Brazilian publishers. Well, when is Amazon not negotiating with publishers, but in the case of this rumor Amazon is reportedly negotiating to sign publishers to Kindle Unlimited. Continue reading
With some retailers starting sales Thursday night, Black Friday is only 3 days away and it’s high time that we started scouting for deals.
To start, Amazon is running deals today through the end of the week, with new deals coming every ten minutes. You can find more info on that at Amazon.com/BlackFriday, but that’s just the beginning. Continue reading
Top of the morning to you. Bottom of the glass to me.
- 23 Things I’d Rather Read Than Another Think Piece On What’s “Wrong” With Children’s Literature (BOOK RIOT)
- 4 Fake Quotes by Famous Authors to Watch Out For (HuffPost)
- ALLi Launch Ethical Author Code (The Independent Publishing Magazine)
- How Paperback Books Helped the U.S. Win World War II (WSJ)
- Re/code’s decision to end reader comments sure to have the digital-first police up in arms (Talking New Media)
- Royalties, Oh Royalties, Wherefore Art My Royalties? (The Watershed Chronicle)
- Sproutkin Ditches Its “Netflix For Kids’ Books” Service, Moves Into Digital Subscriptions (TechCrunch)
- The Week That Was: Ethics Are Not Just for Authors (The Independent Publishing Magazine)
- This Is How An Ad Gets Placed In Your Facebook News Feed (Buzzfeed)
The NY Times reported on Friday that Judge Denise L. Cote gave her final approval to the settlement in a hearing in Manhattan. According to the terms of the settlement, Apple will be paying lawyers $50 million, and paying consumers $400 million for its part in conspiring with five major publishers in the 2010 to bring about agency pricing. Continue reading
That framework was never very well organized, and it was never very well developed on a technical level, but it is possible to find and install apps on the InkPad and other Pocketbook ereaders. Continue reading
According to New Jersey Governor Chris Christie’s conditional veto statement, “Citizens of this State should be permitted to read what they choose without unnecessary government intrusion.” It’s hard to argue with that! Personally, I think we should also be permitted to read what we choose without corporate surveillance. Continue reading
I’ve encountered a small WP bug in a critical feature on the blog this morning, and since it has me baffled I thought I would post it and ask for help.
Whenever I write a review or long post, I like to add an auto-generated TOC (this one). It’s a quick and easy way to add a useful feature without having to code the TOC by hand. The TOC is added by way of a shortcode which looks something like this: Continue reading