Happy Retirement: 50 quotes & 3 tips for your messages
To make someone’s retirement special, we have great tips, gift ideas and 50 sayings to wish someone a happy retirement that you can write in a card or letter. So your friend, partner, or colleague is sure to be happy about the dear gesture.
When superiors or close colleagues retire, it is sometimes not easy to find the right words. The right saying will help you write a great farewell for the person.
The Best Wishes and Quotes for a Happy Retirement
The following quotes, wishes, and verses are suitable for a creative retirement farewell card, for a gift, a letter or even to send retirement wishes to the person via a text message.
Therefore, you will find funny sayings, thoughtful words, creative congratulations, farewells, and humorous poems for retirement in this post. The recipient will surely be happy to read a few kind lines.
Funny and Short Retirement Quotes and Jokes
Depending on your relationship with the person who is retiring, a funny saying about retirement always goes over well – whether it is personal or business.
For this purpose, we have, for example, some quotes from famous personalities who are known for their humorous sayings. In addition, we have some jokes to help set the mood.
Simple sayings are usually short and to the point as well, so you don’t have to write too much. We have compiled the funniest sayings for you below.
- Take retirement like a very long coffee break!
- Woo hoo! Kick up your heels and enjoy your retirement!
- I hope that your retired life is the best part of your life.
- Enjoy your days of sleeping late and doing nothing! All the best on your retirement.
- Just because you’re retired doesn’t mean you stop taking coffee breaks. Be sure to schedule me in!
- You got your life back! Enjoy every minute of your retirement.
- You’ve been promoted to the retirement stage of your life! Congrats!
- Happy Retirement! You’ll never have to ask for a day off ever again!
- Well, at least now you can say this is the last job you will ever start! Happy retirement!
- Retirement isn’t really all that great as it sounds. No pressure from the boss, zero deadlines, no company meetings to enjoy – how will you manage?
Inspirational Quotes about Retirement
Very thoughtful sayings and quotes from famous personalities are especially suitable for a retirement farewell.
You can choose the one you consider best from the following quotes.
- Retirement is wonderful if you have two essentials – much to live on and much to live for.
- We rarely find anyone who can say he has lived a happy life, and who, content with his life, can retire from the world like a satisfied guest.
- Let him that hath no power of patience retire within himself, though even there he will have to put up with himself.
- The biggest reward for a thing well done is to have done it.
- Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
(George Bernard Shaw)
- Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them – that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
- He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.
- Life is a song – sing it. Life is a game – play it. Life is a challenge – meet it. Life is a dream – realize it. Life is a sacrifice – offer it. Life is love – enjoy it.
- It is not length of life, but depth of life.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Retirement Wishes and Messages
When writing retirement congratulations, you should consider how well you know the person who is retiring.
Is it a colleague, someone on the board of directors, or someone who has been employed by your company for many years? Is the relationship personal or professional?
We have collected some templates for different situations that you can use to write your farewell card.
- Congratulations on your retirement! It’s time to follow dreams long set aside and enjoy the rewards of work done well. Wishing you the best!
- I can’t imagine walking into the office and not seeing your face. Thank you for every single second you’ve spent with our team. It is truly appreciated!
- Dear Mrs./Mr. (Name),
after more than … years you leave our company. You have always been a valued and valuable employee for us. Therefore, I would like to express my special thanks to you on behalf of all employees and colleagues. You have now already worked … years for … (name of the company / firm) and have always distinguished yourself with your high commitment and reliability.
- With retirement begins a time full of freedom, enjoyment and new opportunities! I wish you all the best for this new stage of life and congratulate you warmly!
- Colleagues like you are really rare and therefore we are all sad that you will now leave us professionally. We appreciate you very much and would like to wish you all the best for your time in retirement. Enjoy your new phase of life!
- We would like to extend our wholehearted best wishes to you on your long-awaited retirement. Enjoy your retirement time to the fullest!
- You have always took on work with humor, so it should certainly not be difficult for you to always have something to laugh about in your retirement! In any case, I wish you much joy with all my heart. All the best for your retirement!
- Finally you have time for the finer things in life … Do what you like and what’s fun. Live life and enjoy every day!
- Now you finally have time for hobbies, sleeping late, lazing around, reading, drinking coffee, traveling, sunbathing, wellness, relaxing and maintaining friendships – with me, that is! Congratulations on your retirement.
- When you get tired of your two new best friends – the bed and living room recliner – remember to give your old friend a call!
Happy Retirement – Farewell Quotes
To make sure your retirement card goes over well with your supervisor or colleague, you can skip the jokes.
Instead, address a few loving words to the person who is having their last day of work with you.
- Work won’t be the same without your sweet smile, but we all know how hard you’ve worked for this. Enjoy your retirement, (name)!
- Wishing you all the best as you retire. Knowing you, you’ll still be busy as ever – but at least it will be with things you love doing!
- Happy Retirement, (name)! Who knows what new adventures lie ahead? Here’s to happy endings for them all!
- I would like to congratulate you most sincerely on your retirement! Your experience, reliability and friendliness will be missed by the entire team. Enjoy the time off work and pursue your hobbies!
All the best – (your name)
- For a long time rumors circulated among us about an infinite lunch break, an infinite vacation… – now this fabulous time begins for you, which we still have to dream of! Congratulations and all the best for your retirement!
- You are irreplaceable! But somehow we will have to run the place without you! So enjoy your retirement, we wish you health, creativity and lots of fun!
- You were always busy and paid attention to the details… – now I wish you an equally busy retirement! No boredom, but a fresh breeze should blow through your retirement years! Congratulations!
- Thank you for everything! Your superiors wish you a wonderful retirement in which many more dreams come true and in which many more exciting chapters are written!
- Your valuable work has enriched our company for many years. You have truly earned your retirement! We wish you a fulfilling, exciting, and relaxing time! The best congratulations from the entire staff and me (names)
- Retirement is what you work towards all your life,
and then once is starts you wonder where the time went.
Humorous Poems and Retirement Messages
Of course, if you are a talented poet you can write one yourself, as this will make your farewell more personal.
However, if you can’t think of the right words, you can also choose one of the following poems.
- Age is opportunity no less,
Than youth itself, though in another dress,
And as the evening twilight fades away,
The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.
(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)
- May you always have work for your hands to do.
May your pockets hold always a coin or two.
May the sun shine bright on your windowpane.
May the rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near you.
And may God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.
- For both of us know as we retire
We can do anything we desire,
There’s time for us every day
We start to get in each other’s way,
We love each other there’s no doubt
Traveling together out and about,
Having interests of our own
Has helped us to have really grown,
We have a lovely family together
So our lives are bonded forever,
Looking back would anything change
Answer is no, that would be strange.
- Come, my friends,
‘Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved the earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Retirement is the only time in your life when time no longer equals money.
- Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just another bend in it.
- Wishing you the best retirement ever! Enjoy this new chapter of your life and enjoy being your own boss.
- It’s sad to say goodbye, but great to see you are on your way to greener pastures.
- In great appreciation for all of your hard year’s teaching, we all want to say thank you for your knowledge and dedication.
- You are a true friend and an incredibly hard worker. Thank you for your years at this company.
Happy Retirement – the Last Working Day is Approaching
Retirement is an occasion you want to celebrate with your friend or colleague.
Depending on the relationship with the person who is retiring, you can choose between beautiful and thoughtful sayings, but also funny quotes.
Even if the person about to retire is looking forward to spending time with his family, traveling or pursuing new hobbies, the farewell will not be easy for him either. At the same time, it depends on the person and how they express their feelings.
After all, if it’s not easy for you that the person is retiring, you probably won’t choose a funny line. But it’s different if you want to give him or her a more humorous farewell.
Saying Goodbye to a Person going into Retirement
When someone is retiring from a job they’ve held for a long time, a small farewell party is usually held.
Therefore, a few personal words a card are a good way to say goodbye.
These should be handwritten, otherwise the card may seem too impersonal. Feel free to stick to our following tips if you want to find a suitable way to wish someone well in retirement.
Find a suitable Happy Retirement Card
Popular card designs for a person retiring include landscape motifs such as blooming gardens or a sunset.
If the person has a particular hobby such as traveling, crafts, painting or gardening, these are also nice card designs.
Customize the card to best suit the person’s personal interests. Often, lawn chairs or a beach chair are appropriate themes to indicate retirement.
If you want to get a fun card, lazy or sleeping animal pictures are a great idea.
To give the card a more personal touch, you can include a group photo with all of your colleagues. The recipient will surely be happy about a souvenir photo from work and all the colleagues.
Personal Congratulations on a Happy Retirement
If someone retires, the person can look back on a successful and long working life.
Therefore, it is usually a pleasure to receive recognition for the years of work as well as a token of gratitude for the great achievements of the past decades. You can choose a suitable saying or greeting to go with it.
If you maintain a good relationship with the retiree, you can also resort to a funny poem or saying. Usually, these are tailored to the retirement age and can make the recipient smile. In addition, a little humor loosens up the farewell a little, so it doesn’t get too emotional.
Retirement Gift Ideas
In addition to a personalized retirement card, it’s always a good idea to give the person a gift.
Together with your colleagues, think about what might suit your retiring colleague. We have collected a few ideas for you below.
Nice Retirement Gifts
You can also use one of the funny sayings and have it printed on a mug. This way, the retiring person will have a nice memento that they can use to remember the good times you shared.
Additionally, you can personalize the mug with a nice group photo of all the employees, the company’s logo or a funny picture.
Alternatively, you can have a cloth bag printed that the person can use for shopping. Chocolate is also a gift that many people enjoy.
If the retiree is a wine lover, an elaborately packaged wine bottle will also be appreciated. If the person prefers whiskey, you can give him or her a good bottle and-or glasses with a personalized engraving.
Also a puzzle book for mentally active retirees is a nice idea to say goodbye. In a pinch, a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of champagne are always a good idea as well.
Gifts for Physically Active Retirees
If the person retiring is still very fit and active for his or her age, you can consider giving a gift certificate for an outdoor activity or trip.
To do this, you can pool money with colleagues if it’s a bigger purchase.
Depending on his or her physical fitness and their love for adventure a tandem skydive might be the right gift. Trips to nature or cultural events such as theater performances and concerts are also great parting gifts.
Funny Retirement Gifts
Those who share the same sense of humor may also enjoy fun gifts that serve no useful purpose in everyday life. For example, a funny idea is an inflatable rollator with a walking stick.
Likewise, humorous card games or a so-called men’s handbag, consisting of six compartments for beer bottles, are funny gift options. Whatever you decide to do with your colleagues, your present will certainly be well received if you thought it over beforehand and know what the person likes.