95 Valentine’s Day Quotes + 5 Messages
Every year on February 14th people send each other the best Valentine’s Day messages. Around this time, love is in the air. Couples and friends give each other gifts and show their affection. Besides some tips on writing the perfect card, we have some cute, funny, and short Valentine’s Day quotes for you.
Valentine’s Day is a day of expectations, but also surprises. Every couple celebrates Valentine’s Day differently. Some spend the day like any other, others plan special activities, buy or craft gifts and prepare cards with cute messages.
It is up to everyone how or if they celebrate Valentine’s Day. But one thing is for sure: Valentine’s Day cards are a nice gesture – even for couples who are unimpressed by Valentine’s Day. After all, everyone is happy about a little surprise.
Happy Valentine’s Day Quotes
The following examples will serve as a template for your Valentine’s Day card, you can adapt them or customize them to suit your needs.
They can also inspire you if you want to write your own quote. To help you find the right one, we selected and categorized different Valentine’s Day sayings for you.
Lovely Quotes for Your Girlfriend or Boyfriend
You see the world through rose-tinted glasses when you’re in love. You’d like to say as much, but you don’t want to overdo it either. Especially at the beginning of a relationship, it might be better to hold back some of your emotions, so you don’t scare off your partner by being too clingy.
It always depends on what your relationship is like or if you are in a relationship at all. Below you will find sayings that specifically address the topic of love and those that deliberately avoid the word "love" if it’s still too early for that in your relationship. Nevertheless, they express affection and appreciation, just the thing for a young relationship.
- "Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."
(Henry van Dyke, American poet, 1852-1933)
- "My favorite place in all of the world is next to you."
- "You know what makes me happy? – Read the first word again."
- "I love you because you make me ridiculously happy."
- "You stole my heart, but I’ll let you keep it."
- "I kind of sort of maybe quite possibly like you a lot."
- "Turns out I like you a lot more than I originally planned."
- "And suddenly all the love songs were about you."
- "I love you in the morning and in the afternoon. I love you in the evening and underneath the moon."
- "Here’s to being my emergency contact someday."
Cute Valentine’s Day Quotes for Husband and Wife
If you’ve been together for a long time and your relationship is already mature, these Valentine’s Day sayings will help keep your relationship going strong.
In order for you to continue to stay together for a long time, expressions of love shouldn’t be neglected. Even though you may have said "I love you" to each other many times, there are other ways and many other words to express your feelings.
Be inspired by our selected sayings and show your partner a different variation of "I love you".
- "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing."
(Blaise Pascal, French philosopher, 1623-1662)
- "Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey."
(Lord Byron, British poet, 1788-1824)
- "The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along."
(Rumi, Persian Sufi mystic, 1207-1273)
- "Love is when the desire to be desired takes you so badly that you feel you could die of it."
(Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, French painter, 1864-1901)
- "Love shall be our token; love be yours and love be mine."
(Christina Rossetti, British poet, 1830-1894)
- "From the first time I saw you, I knew you would have my heart. Happy Valentine’s Day to the best husband/wife I could have asked for."
- "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."
(Lao Tzu, Chinese philosopher, 365 B.C.-290 B.C.)
- "Sometimes I wonder how you put up with me. Then I remember, oh I put up with you. So we’re even."
- "I love you for all that you are, all that you have been and all that you are yet to be."
- "You will forever be my always."
Romantic Valentine’s Day Quotes for Him
Make your husband or boyfriend happy this Valentine’s Day with one of the following quotes about love. The following quotes have an unknown authors.
- "Happy Valentine’s Day to my handsome guy. I am proud to be yours and love being with you on this day and each chance we can get!"
- "I’ve never been so scared of losing something in my entire life, then again nothing in my life has ever meant as much to me as you do."
- "It’s just one day in the year, but you should know that I love you every day and every moment. Take my love on this beautiful occasion!"
- "Are you a banana? Because I find you a-peel-ing."
- "Happy Valentine’s Day to the most special person in my life."
- "You’re my everything. Happy Valentine’s Day!"
- "Being someone’s first love may be great, but to be their last is beyond perfect."
- "Life is full of things that make it all worthwhile, but none is better than your little smile."
- "For love, I’d do anything. For you, I’d do more."
- "Wishing you well, Valentine. Hope you have a fantastic day, and can’t wait to get together to celebrate!"
Valentine’s Day Quotes for Her
Surprise your girlfriend or wife with a sweet Valentine’s Day quote. You can’t go wrong with these sayings, especially if you can’t find the right words yourself. Maybe one of these can inspire you to come up with your own wish.
- "You have no idea how fast my heart beats when I see you."
- "I love you, because a woman like you is impossible to find."
- "In case you ever foolishly forget: I am never not thinking about you."
(Virginia Woolf, English writer, 1882-1941)
- "You take my breath away. Always."
- "I have looked at you in millions of ways and I have loved you in each. Happy Valentine’s Day."
- "I never liked Valentine’s Day, and then I met you and I understood what it was all about."
- "I may never win the lottery, but I definitely hit the jackpot when I met you."
- "Be my Valentine – now, next year, and for all our Valentine’s to come."
- "You are so amazing. I don’t know what I would do without you. Happy Valentine’s Day."
- "You still make me laugh. You still give me butterflies. And I’m still falling for you every single day. Happy Valentine’s Day!"
Valentine’s Day Quotes for a Confession of Love
Confessing you love for someone can make you nervous. The fear of rejection may be so great you hesitate to tell the other person.
In such a case, a good saying about love can help. Valentine’s Day is a great occasion to confess your desire to be with someone. For this reason, we selected a few beautiful sayings for you.
All of the following quotes are from unknown authors.
- "Every adventure we take, big or small, I want to share it with you."
- "I don’t know how else to put it, but ever since I met you, I’ve been in love with you."
- "It’s Valentine’s Day, so it’s time to tell you something. I love you. I’ve loved you since the first time we met."
- "I want to tell you something important. It’s been on my mind for a long time and I thought I’d tell you this way. Read the letters backwards: I EVOL UOY."
- "I don’t know much about love yet, but I think you will be happy when you read the 1st the 6th and the 11th word."
Quotes about Love for Your Valentine’s Day Card
If you’re not a fan of sayings and you can’t think of a good one yourself, you can always turn to some beautiful quotes.
The topic of love has always been on people’s minds. For this reason, wise sayings and romantic aphorisms about love have been written down since ancient times. Use them to spice up your Valentine’s Day card. But don’t forget to add a few words of your own.
- "Doubt thou the stars are fire, Doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt the truth to be a liar, But never doubt I love."
(William Shakespeare, English playwright, 1564-1616)
- "How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said."
(Victor Hugo, French author, 1802-1885)
- "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."
(Aristotle, Greek philosopher, 384-322 B.C.)
- "True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen."
(François de La Rochefoucauld, French author, 1613-1680)
- "Where there is love there is life."
(Mahatma Gandhi, Indian revolutionary, 1869-1948)
- "True love is eternal, infinite, and always like itself. It is equal and pure, without violent demonstrations: it is seen with white hairs and is always young in the heart."
(Honoré de Balzac, French novelist, 1799-1850)
- "Love is space and time measured by the heart."
(Marcel Proust, French author, 1871-1922)
- "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction."
(Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, French writer and pilot, 1900-1944)
- "I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people."
(Vincent van Gogh, Dutch painter and graphic artist, 1853-1890)
- "Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing."
(Torquato Tasso, Italian poet, 1544-1595)
Short and Positive Valentine’s Day Quotes
Our short Valentine’s Day Quotes are suitable for lovely text messages or social media posts. But you can also use them for litte greeting cards or write them on the tag of a flower bouquet.
- "I will never forget the moment I realized I loved you." (Unknown)
- "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
(Emily Brontë, English novelist, 1818-1848)
- "I fall in love with you just a little bit more every day."
- "My heart is, and always will be, yours."
(Jane Austen, British writer, 1775-1817)
- "I hope I can make you as happy as you make me."
- "Thank you for showing me what true love is – Happy Valentine’s Day."
- "I’m so lucky to be in love with my best friend."
- "I never thought I could fall in love as hard as I did with you."
- "Love is a dream that came to life when we met."
- "There is no remedy for love but to love more."
(Henry David Thoreau, American philosopher, 1817-1862)
Lovely and Funny Valentine’s Day Quotes for Friends
On the day of love, you can of course show your friends how much you appreciate them. It doesn’t matter if they are single or not. Members of your family are also sure to welcome a nice message from you.
Friendships and family are just as important as a relationship and are also based on love. Therefore, they also deserve to be honored on Valentine’s Day.
- "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
(Marcel Proust, French author, 1871-1922)
- "As good friends go, you really shine. Let’s be each other’s Valentine!"
- "One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood."
(Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman philosopher, c. 4 B.C.-65 A.D.)
- "Because of you, I laugh a little harder, cry a little less and smile a lot more. Happy Valentine’s Day!"
- "Love between friends is the best kind of love – we’ll never fight because you leave your dirty socks on the bathroom floor for a start!"
- "I’m so lucky to have a friend like you, who tolerates all my quirks and still loves me anyway."
- "I’m grateful for our friendship, it’s sweeter than a box of chocolates."
- "Love is just like a fart. If you push it, it will be crap. Happy Valentine’s Day, bestie!"
- "It’s a little sad that you don’t have any special person to spend Valentine’s day with. So, you better spend the day with me, and better luck next year."
- "Dear friend, don’t feel bad if you see your ex with someone else. Remember, our parents taught us to give the things we don’t need to the less fortunate."
Funny and Sarcastic Anti-Valentine’s Day Quotes for Singles
Many singles find Valentine’s Day awkward or annoying. Every restaurant has a Valentine’s Day menu, love songs are played on the radio, there are Valentine’s Day parties, Valentine’s Day deals in department stores, and much more.
On top of that, singles often encounter pity and have to listen to people say things like "The right guy will come along" or "There’s four of us going out to dinner, do you still want to come?" Others take it with a sense of humor.
If you know someone or are a single person yourself, we have a few sayings that you can send to friends and family to cheer them up or get a laugh out of them.
All of the following quotes are from unknown authors.
- "Being single on Valentine’s Day means you get to spend the whole day with your true love: yourself."
- "Why settle for just one rose on Valentine’s Day when you can have a whole bouquet of Netflix and Chill?"
- "Being single on Valentine’s Day means you get to have your cake and eat it too, without anyone judging you."
- "Why buy someone else’s love when you can buy yourself a spa day and some peace of mind?"
- "Valentine’s Day is just another excuse to treat yourself to a fancy dinner and a bottle of wine."
- "Why settle for a cheesy pickup line when you can have a whole cheesy pizza to yourself?"
- "Chocolate does not solve problems, but neither does an apple!"
- "Being single on Valentine’s Day is just a chance to avoid awkward dinner conversations and save money on gifts."
- "Being single on Valentine’s Day is just a reminder that you don’t need someone else to make you happy."
- "Valentine’s Day is just another day to celebrate the love you have for yourself."
Quotes for Kids on Valentine’s Day
Whether your son or daughter has a crush on someone or you just want to give them a sweet message on Valentine’s Day – you can’t go wrong with these sayings.
These quotes are also suitable for the child’s grandparents, aunts, and uncles. The whole family will be happy about receiving a cute message.
All of the following sayings are by unknown authors.
- "I think you’re cuter than Cupid."
- "I love you to the moon and back."
- "You make the world a sweeter place."
- "My love for you grows bigger and bigger."
- "Knock, knock! It’s Valentine’s o’clock! You’re my favorite person, and you rock!"
- "I hope you have the best day today! Enjoy the goodies. Happy Valentine’s Day!"
- "Happy Valentine’s Day! Enjoy some cupcakes and candy. I hope your day is fine and dandy!"
- "You know what I love on Valentine’s Day? You! Love, Mom/Dad."
- "You are my heart. We will never part. Happy Valentine’s Day."
- "Thank you for filling my life with so much love. Happy Valentine’s Day."
Happy Valentine’s Day (Card) Messages
If you don’t know what to write to your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day, we have some templates to help inspire you.
Whether you want to write a love letter or a Valentine’s Day card and don’t know how to start or if you just want to write a sweet text message – you will definitely find the right words here.
All of the following lines are freely written and don’t have an author.
- "My sweet darling, I want to tell you on this special day how much you mean to me. You enrich my life so much that I can’t imagine it without you. I sincerely hope that we will stay together forever. I love you."
- "Honey, you don’t know how lucky I am to have found you. Without you I would not be the person I am today. I will love you forever and am so grateful to have you by my side."
- "I need you as much as the air I breathe. With you by my side, I can handle anything. We have already gone through so many ups and downs together that I can only tell you again and again: I love you so much."
- "Babe, we’ve already accomplished so much together. I see our future very clearly ahead of us and I want to be with you until the end of our days. With the many children and grandchildren we both want so much. You make me a little happier every day. I love you, happy Valentine’s Day."
- "My dear darling, on this Valentine’s Day I want to show you how much I love you. You are my first love and I hope very much that you will be my last. In my life I have never been so happy as when I’m with you. With you I can be the way I am without pretending. Besides, you always make me laugh with your jokes, no matter how stupid they are. I love you so much and wish for many more happy years with you. Here’s to us!"
Tips for Valentine’s Day
Below you will find some information about Valentine’s Day and tips on sending the perfect card or writing a sincere letter. It’s especially nice if you compose a loving message yourself.
The Romantic Cliché
A certain image of romance has taken root in people’s minds, and it has been mainly shaped by film culture. In romance films the motto is: the cheesier, the more romantic.
Something is sung or danced in public, posters are put up, airplane banners are flown, and it always has to be a secret until the very end. Flowers, chocolates, cards – all this is normal in movies.
Unfortunately, one thing is not considered: some people feel intimidated by so much attention and do not like surprises. So such things would be unpleasant if they’re overdone.
If you want to plan something like that for Valentine’s Day, be sure that the person it’s for will appreciate it, too. Especially if you have not known each other for very long or are not dating yet. It’s better to play it safe, than to go overboard with expressions of love.
How to Give Away Valentine’s Day Messages
There are several ways to send your Valentine’s Day messages. For example, you could recite a saying or poem, include it in a love letter or write it down and frame it.
Another option is to write it in a card. You can either write something romantic on your own or use one of our examples. They can also serve as inspiration or a template for your own words. You can customize them to fit your relationship.
Valentine’s Day notes are a great addition to many gifts. Many, if not most, people are more likely to enjoy a beautiful card with a confession of love than something material without a note. That’s why, if you have a gift for him or her, you shouldn’t miss out on a small written gesture.
It’s especially nice if you customize your saying with the gift. If you’re planning to give her flowers, include flowers in your message. If you’re giving her concert tickets, the theme could be music. Of course, the same goes for women who want to please their partner.
Content of Your Valentine’s Day Message
The theme of Valentine’s Day is love, of course. Nevertheless, there are different stages, which require different words. Sometimes finding the right words for love is not as easy.
In the next section we will help you compose the perfect message, if you want to write a Valentine’s Day letter on your own. But first to the content. The following content is suitable for Valentine’s Day:
- Confessions of love.
- Unexpectedly revealing your feelings. (It doesn’t have to be a declaration of love, the fact that someone really means a lot to you is also romantic.)
- Be surprisingly honest.
- What is the most beautiful thing about your relationship?
- What is the best thing about your partner?
- How do you envision your future?
Write Your Own Valentine’s Day Quotes
Writing Valentine’s Day message is the same as writing messages of love. After considering the purpose of your message, you should start brainstorming.
To do this, just randomly write down terms that come to mind. Of course, they should always have something to do with your relationship. If you don’t have any ideas off the top of your head, these guiding questions may help:
- What beautiful things have you experienced in your relationship?
- Did you take a vacation together, which has remained particularly strong in your memory?
- When did you say "I love you" for the first time?
- What did you think when you saw her/him for the first time?
- How do you imagine your future?
- How long exactly have you been together?
- Where would you like to go with him/her someday?
- What comes to your mind in general on the subject of love?
Next, you can categorize the terms you’ve collected. What belongs in the section for "experiences", what’s in the section of "future" and what is in the section "first meeting"? Of course, you can choose the categories yourself. After all, the saying should fit your relationship personally.
Now think about whether you want to use rhymes or whether you would rather write an ordinary sentence. Rhymes can help you find the best words. Choose them in advance and then think of the right context for them. Don’t worry if it takes several attempts to come up with a rhyme. Don’t put yourself under pressure and take your time.
Timing in a Relationship for Valentine’s Day Quotes
It’s really never too early for a romantic message. The only thing that makes a difference is the content. Of course, you shouldn’t surprise a person you just met with a sudden confession of love.
But neither should you hesitate to express your feelings while in a longterm relationship. This could hurt your partner and give them the feeling that you are neglecting them.
It nice to get a confession of love, even in a longterm relationship. Make sure you express the depth of emotions you have for your partner. Emphasize that your feelings remain strong or that they have grown stronger.
This way, you will definitely make your partner happy. It will be a pleasant surprise, especially if you’ve never celebrated Valentine’s Day in a big way.