93 “Missing You” Quotes & 10 “I Miss You” Poems
Missing someone can cause a lot of heartache. In addition, it’s also difficult to put those emotions into words. In this article we’ll present you with some sweet and some romantic sayings about pining for someone, so you can say more than just, “I miss you”.
Some people can deal with loss or the absence of another person well – for others their world collapses. And that’s understandable since grief and heartbreak are often accompanied by physical suffering.
Quotes that Say: “I Miss You So Much"
Missing a loved one means more than just being thoughtful and moping around, whether the other person passed away or is simply absent at the moment.
If you desire to be close to a certain person your thoughts will be about little else. Regardless of how hard you try to distract yourself. Everything reminds you of this person.
Sweet Quotes on Missing Someone
We’ll start our collection of quotes with some sweet sayings about longing, which might describe how you feel. You can send them to the beloved person you miss and express your emotions without having to explain yourself.
- In case you ever foolishly forget: I’m always thinking of you.
(Virginia Woolf, British author, 1882-1941)
- Whenever I miss you, I look towards my heart. Because that is the only place where I can find you.
- We part only to meet again.
(John Gay, English author, 1685-1732)
- Good friends are like stars. You can’t always see them, but you know, they are always there.
- Missing you is my hobby, taking care of you is my job, making you happy is my duty and loving you is my life.
- For us there are no goodbyes. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.
(Mahatma Gandhi, Indian revolutionary, 1869-1948)
- Words cannot describe the pain that goes through my body when I miss you.
- No matter what I do, no matter where I am – I can’t get you off my mind.
- It is so hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.
- I miss you and I miss us.
- I miss you so much that it hurts to breath.
- Life is so hectic, but when I stop, in those quiet moments, I always think of you.
- Missing you is a pain that never stops.
- A morning without you is a fading twilight.
(Emily Dickinson, US-American author, 1830-1886)
- Separating hurts so much because our souls are connected.
- Missing someone is your heart’s way of reminding you that you love that person.
“I Miss you” Quotes for Him
When you miss your significant other it can be difficult to express yourself without coming off as trite or schmaltzy. In this section we’ve collected some romantic quotes to tell your boyfriend or husband that you miss her.
- See how she leans her cheek upon her hand.
O, that I were a glove upon that hand
That I might touch that cheek!
(William Shakespeare, British Playwright, 1564 – 1616)
- Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it inflames the great.
(Roger de Bussy-Rabutin, French man of letters, 1618 – 1693)
- It occurs to me that I really can’t remember your face in any precise detail. Only the way you walked away through the tables in the café, your figure, your dress, that I still see.
(Franz Kafka, German speaking novelist, 1883 – 1924)
- She inhabited a world from which I was excluded, and she had left me in an immense empty space.
(Alfred Hayes, English poet, 1857 – 1936)
- Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.
(Plato, Greek philosopher, 428 – 348 BC)
- All of a sudden, a deadly longing seized him, a longing such as he’d only known when very young, but this was a more reflected, burning longing: for he was longing for the longing he’d known in youth, so sharply that he had to shout.
(Antal Szerb, Hungarian writer, 1901 – 1945)
- Either the memory of past bliss is the anguish of today, or the agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been…
(Edgar Allan Poe, American author, 1809 – 1849)
- At night in my bedroom and by day in the classroom her image came between me and the page I strove to read.
(James Joyce, Irish author, 1882 -1941)
- If you think missing me is hard, then you should try missing you.
(Theophilos, Greek painter, 1870 – 1934)
- The only women you can continue to love are those you lose.
(Joris-Karl Huysmans, French novelist, 1848 – 1907)
Missing You Quotes for Her
If your loved one can’t be with you then it can help if you wish to share some words to express your longing to be together once again. In this section we’ve put together a few quotes from famous writers and poets to help you find the right words.
- They say when you are missing someone that they are probably feeling the same, but I don’t think it’s possible for you to miss me as much as I’m missing you right now.
(Edna St. Vincent Millay, American poet and playwright, 1892 – 1950)
- A lady’s imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.
(Jane Austen, English novelist, 1775 – 1817)
- Close together or far apart, you’re forever in my heart.
- He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
(Emily Brontë, English novelist, 1818 – 1848)
- You are ice and fire, the touch of you burns my hands like snow.
(Amy Lowell, American poet 1874 – 1925)
- Would that thy love, beloved, had less trust in me, that it might be more anxious!
(Héloïse, French nun, 1100 – 1163)
- Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.
(Zelda Fitzgerald, wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1900 – 1948)
- I’m in a state of utter confusion, don’t know what to read, what to write, what to do. I only know that I’m longing for something…
(Anne Frank, Jewish diarist, 1929 – 1945)
- Do we think of each other at the same moments?
- It’s sweet to be remembered when one is away.
(Willa Cather, American writer, 1873 – 1947)
“I Love and Miss You So Much”: Romantic Quotes
The definition of longing is “being regrettably aware that someone or something is no longer around and feeling it as a personal absence.” In the following section you’ll find 13 sweet and romantic sayings, with which you can express your emotions.
- I miss you deeply, unfathomably, senselessly, terribly.
(Franz Kafka, German speaking author, 1883-1924)
- Love never stops, even when we are miles apart.
- Ich have shed a tear in the ocean and the day that you find it is the day that I will stop missing you.
- I would rather kiss you than miss you so much.
- Even though I miss you so much, it comforts me to know that we are under the same sky.
- Without you hear the sun forgets to shine.
- When you aren’t here, I can feel my heart isn’t here either.
- My heart knew not loneliness until you left me. I miss you incredibly.
- I’ll miss you always and everywhere, every day for the rest of my life.
- It’s funny because everything reminds me of you. I read a poem and wonder what you would think of it. Everywhere I go, I run into something that always makes me think of you.
- One hour has 60 minutes. A minute has 60 seconds. But what I didn’t know was that a second without you is like an eternity.
- I close my eyes and see you there. But when I open them and see nothing, I realize how much I miss you.
- If I could plant a flower for every time I miss you, I could walk through my garden forever.
(Alfred Tennyson, British Poet, 1809-1892)
Quotes about Missing Someone and Longing for Intimacy
Longing for love and intimacy is completely normal because it is a basic human need. So it can be all the more debilitating if you can’t experience such closeness. The following quotes express these emotions quite well. Here you’ll find some quotes about intimacy and missing:
- You realize how much you really miss someone when something happens, good or bad, and the only person you want to tell is the one who isn’t there.
- Longing for you comes in waves – and today I am drowning.
- I don’t know what’s worse, missing you or pretending I don’t miss you.
- Every day I think of you. Lying in your arms, feeling you near me, and touching you. I miss all that when you are not with me.
- Since you left, my heart has been swimming in a sea of loneliness.
- The longing for you is far too deep. Nothing in the world can silence it and nothing in the world can fulfill it; except you.
- Even if I spend the whole day with you, I will miss you the second you leave.
- The presence of unconditional love is intoxicating, but paralyzing when it is absent.
- Every night I lay my head on my pillow, I try to tell myself that I am strong because I made it through another day without you.
- The moon reminds me of you. So beautiful, so bright and so far away.
- I thought about saying a lot of things to you, but all I could think of was that I miss you.
More Quotes about Missing Someone
If you still aren’t tired of quotes about longing for another person, we collected nine more sayings for you. Send them to the person you’re thinking of through WhatsApp or personalize it in a letter. You’re guaranteed to make the friend you’re missing happy.
- Saying goodbye is always the worst part when you are surrounded by love.
- Sometimes memories escape my eyes and roll down my cheeks.
- When I’m with you, hours feel like seconds. When we are apart, days feel like years.
- Missing someone doesn’t depend on how long you haven’t seen them, but how deep that person is in your heart.
- Thinking of you keeps me awake. Dreaming about you keeps me asleep. Being with you keeps me alive.
- I try to distract myself with a thousand things so as not to think of you. But the quieter it gets around me, the louder your voice becomes in my head.
- Love grows with distance.
- Life is so short, and the lonely hours pass so quickly. We should be together, you and me.
(Henry Alford, Anglican Theologian, 1810-1871)
- When I tell you I’ll miss you, it doesn’t mean I’ll never get over you. It just means that I wish I didn’t have to.
Top 3 I-Miss-You-Quotes
In the following we’ll present the top 3 sayings to express: “I miss you.”
- You are so far away and yet closer to my heart than any other person. I wish you were here.
- Since you’ve been gone, even the brightest colors have faded. Food has lost its taste, and nothing makes sense without you.
- Your love was my feast, but since you left, I have been starving.
Instead of writing “I miss you” you can say:
- I can’t stop thinking about you.
- I can’t wait to see you again.
- I can’t get you out of my mind.
- I’m thinking of you day and night.
- I feel empty without you.
- I miss you incredibly.
- I can’t wait to be back in your arms.
Missing Someone Who Died: Sayings on Missing and Memory
If you’ve lost a loved one, the pain will certainly be deep. Even if comforting words don’t bring back your loved one, they can give you hope during difficult times. They will also comfort those around you, especially if you present them in a funeral card.
- You are never really gone. I still feel you all around me.
- You will always be with me, like a handprint on my heart.
- Our memories are a beautiful gift that makes me smile when I miss you.
- Memory is the only paradise from which we cannot be expelled.
(Jean Paul, German author, 1763-1825)
- When a loved one becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
- No pain is as great as remembering the joy in the present sorrow.
(Aeschylus, Greek poet, 525-456 BC)
- Tonight, all I can say is that I love you too much for comfort, and that your absence means death to me.
(Honoré de Balzac, French author, 1799-1850)
- People say time heals everything, but all it has done so far is give me more time to think about how much I miss you now.
- I miss you. Maybe I don’t always show it, maybe I don’t always tell people, but inside I miss you like crazy.
- Some mornings still feel like the night before. I’m just waiting for the days when I don’t miss you anymore.
Quotes that Say "I Will Miss You So Much"
Even if a lot of time has passed since the death of a loved one, the absence leaves its mark. The following sayings address missing a loved one who has passed away.
- You are no longer where you were, but you are everywhere we are.
(Victor Hugo, French author, 1802-1885)
- Sometimes, when one person is missing, it seems like the entire world has been depopulated.
(Alphonse de Lamartine, French author, 1790-1869)
- Missing someone doesn’t depend on how long you haven’t seen them, but how deep that person is in your heart.
- When two months feel like five years. That’s called longing.
- I miss your breath that I listened to at night; your hand that touched me gently. I miss your soul that makes me stagger.
- Missing someone you’ve already lost is one of the worst things in life.
- Losing you was so hard, missing you is even harder.
- Come back. Even as a shadow, even as a dream.
(Euripides, Greek playwright, 480-406 BC)
- Every single fiber of my body misses you – to infinity.
- The hardest part is not talking to someone you used to talk to every day.
- Sometimes I wish I could have told you I loved you one more time before you were gone from my life. I really miss you!
Poems about Longing and Missing Someone
In this section we collected ten poems that express the sorrow and longing we feel when we miss someone. They are especially suitable when you want to give words to your emotions.
Come home, come home, I can’t wait,
Already the evening flowers shut in the garden,
Already the ground is turning red under my feet,
The last flame of the sun goes out.
The trees are frightened, the wind goes home,
My thoughts reach out for you.
This Was What the Beloved Sang
My longing made me dull and weary,
and gave no rest;
I was sick with secret fears,
for you, oh you!
And as the day went into the land
Towards the cool evening,
and higher swelled the tide of longing,
and sang its song into the starry glow,
until with strong sweet power
brought you here, beloved you! …
Now it is well …
Anticipation in the Garden
Have I kissed you all now,
The flowers, the grasses and
The trembling sparrow in my hand,
The dew of the soft cresses
And even the clouds in the sky, –
Are you still not coming?
I walked through the lonely night,
When everything was asleep.
Then the alder woke, then the owl woke,
When I called your name.
That no one knew,
But I alone.
But all heard him, all,
And at windows and stores,
On stairs and steps
Everyone asks if someone called for help.
And yet I only whispered your name,
In the boundlessly lonely night.
The Hour Struck
The hour struck, and your hand,
Lies trembling in mine,
My lips touched yours,
With a shy permission.
From the full goblet
Fly the electrical sparks;
O take courage and do not flee,
Before we have drunk it all!
The lips that touched me so,
Are no longer your own;
They cannot, while you live,
Cannot deny mine.
The lips that so touched,
Are hopelessly trapped;
Late or early, they must
Long for their deadly home.
When my eye found her
And my heart knew her,
O, how my breast blazed,
With rapture, with delight!
How full of fragrances the meadow,
And the sky, how blue!
And the forest full of song,
And the airs full of sound!
Without her, so cold,
And the world, so old,
And the earth, so empty,
And the heart, alas! – so heavy.
(Joseph Christian von Zedlitz)
I do not know
Do you miss me?
Did you forget me?
I do not know.
Since you left, all I see is rain.
I have long since lost sight
for the beautiful things in life.
The sky is closing in again,
And we both exist only framed
in a passe-partout.
You walked forward, I stood still.
And at some point, I couldn’t see you anymore.
You were just gone,
with my heart in your luggage.
You are no longer here,
so I play my melancholy songs,
with muffled sounds and broken melodies,
and write you corny poetry.
But you are far away –
while I’m sitting in the same place.
And what was between us
nothing much is left.
Still I can’t be without you –
my heart is only at home in you.